Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
is this the thread to post about how i love trains of all kinds from high speed rail to heavy freight to tiny little trams that drive down city streets and i hate cars and i guess buses are okay???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

oh yeah, well how MUCH do you love trains

i have taken trains in at least eight countries and maybe more that i am forgetting

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

hmmm, okay you get a provisional membership, we'll upgrade you to full once you report back on your favorite aspect of the Moscow subway system

big fan of the circle lines but when I was in Moscow I could walk most places I needed to get to on a daily basis

i like the really long escalators but the ones in petersburg are even longer and therefore better

i also think the beautiful architecture and attention to aesthetics in the older stations serves an important symbolic and psychological purpose which is to make people think of public transit as a high-value good rather than something dirty and cheap that only poor people should use

vyelkin has issued a correction as of 17:22 on Sep 3, 2021

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

do normal pickup trucks even exist anymore or are they all these tank-sized monstrosities now

apparently people who actually need them for work just buy used pickups from the 90s because they're way more utilitarian than the monstrous tanks american car companies have been churning out since 9/11

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

imagine if we used billions of horses to get around every day and instead of emitting an odourless gas they just poo poo literally kilograms of waste onto the ground daily lmao

anytime you read an old historical source that talks about the problem of "mud" or "muck" or the like in 19th-century cities, 9 times out of 10 they're just being euphemistic about everyone walking through ankle-deep horseshit everywhere they go

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ardennes posted:

The zone system in London is gross and very clearly exists just to kick working people in the teeth.

it's the kind of thing that makes perfect sense if you don't bother to think about any of the ramifications or side effects

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

sat on my keys! posted:

make transit free :twisted:

:yeah:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
why do they call it parkway when you park way the cold car drive way the hot car drive the car

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
it's honestly disheartening to see how the US used to have nice dense cities with trees and trams and so on, and then look at the blighted hellscape of cracked asphalt highways that it is today

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

you start out going ha ha yeah sure hate cars and traffic lol and then you come out the other side going CARS TOOK EVERYTHING FROM US. and its true. gently caress the automobile.

unironically, in the grand scheme of thigns cars made the world uninhabitable for human civilization

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lobster shirt posted:

also blame police officers, judges, and juries who are all mostly drivers and thus dont want to punish anyone for what they see as an "honest mistake" that they too could make

it really is legal to murder someone with your car lol

well if we took away people's cars for killing other people, how would the murderers get to work afterwards??? :confused:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
use the cubes to build a train station

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
i got hit by a car once because a guy turning right was so busy looking for cars coming from the left that he didn't bother looking for pedestrians coming from the right and lemme tell ya, boy do i hate cars

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
i hate cars but i love maglev bullet trains that make the 1200-km trip from Beijing to Shanghai in two and a half hours

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
i
i hate
i hate cars

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

yard salad posted:

the best is when the local news says “a car hit a pedestrian today”, and not “a person driving a car”

a pedestrian was struck in a car-involved traffic collision

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Buffalo, NY

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It's me, I hate cars. I drive my car maybe once a week on average. I walk, bike, or take the bus otherwise. And I don't even live in a real city.

We need an urbanism thread too

urbanism is just sparkling car hatred, post it itt

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
just ban cars and then cyclists and trams can share the streets and pedestrians can have the sidewalks, problem solved

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
one time an old lady in my city died after being hit by a bicycle and it made the news for what felt like weeks, meanwhile there were hundreds of annual deaths from people being hit by cars that nobody even bothered to report on because it's just expected

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
friends, friends, let not the car divide us

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
it's beautiful

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Leroy Diplowski posted:

So you're saying like a bunch of those crazy 20 person beer bikes but without the beer because it's 8am on a workday for chrissakes. And then maybe rail bikes too because we gotta be inclusive of train loving people.

Don't need boat bikes because sails and oars have been invented. Ok I don't think I'm missing anything.

all mass transit will be this:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

hey rally buddy. i have a rallycross car and have been co-driving for the past 2 years. eventually i'll buy/build my own caged car but covid has me apprehensive about doing that any time soon

post the rally car

e: whoops didn't realize what thread i was in, whatever, post the rally car anyway lol

trap sprung

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ban cars

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Beijing and Shanghai are linked by 1200 km of high-speed rail but the United States of America is too big to have high speed rail between cities like Chicago and New York, which are a whopping, let's see here, 1200 km away from each other

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

American visiting any city with decent transportation infrastructure: "Oh it was wonderful. We took the trolleys/trains/buses everywhere and walked all over the city. Everything was accessible from our hotel room downtown."
American returning home to their suburb: "Vote NO on the new rail proposal that would bring crime to our community, wouldn't see enough ridership to turn a profit, and would drain our city's finances."

https://twitter.com/bro_neill/status/1348355127216910336?lang=en

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

QUEER FRASIER posted:

Why can't even my fictional imagined US train lines connect? Because there's no point to building train lines through non-densely populated areas! Nevermind that we've been building freeways through the middle of loving nowhere for 70 years and watching them incubate development in entirely new areas

it's also just plain stupid because even in non-densely-populated areas of the US there are cities big enough to be worth linking with HSR. like take for instance that guy's dumbass map where he claims there's no point linking the networks. his three little tiny networks in the midwest, northeast, and southeast connect cities like Detroit (metro pop 4.4M), Milwaukee (metro pop 1.6M), Madison (metro pop 900k), Minneapolis (metro pop 3.7M), Baltimore (metro pop 2.8M), Jacksonville (metro pop 1.5M), Orlando (metro pop 2.5M), and Tampa (metro pop 3.1M).

why not link those up? im sure he would tell you something whiny about population centres and distances, but honestly when you're imagining a map that doesn't exist in real life and has no cost estimates attached to it, how much trouble would it be to expand your connections from detroit and chicago through Indianapolis (metro pop 2M), Cincinnati (metro pop 2.2M), Columbus (metro pop 2.1M), Cleveland (metro pop 2.1M), and Pittsburgh (metro pop 2.4M) to link up to DC and Philly? why not then extend that network down the eastern seaboard to hit Richmond (metro pop 1.2M), Raleigh/Durham (metro pop 2M), and Charlotte (metro pop 2.7M) on the way to Atlanta? if you can justify HSR to Madison, Wisconsin, you can justify it to literally all of those cities and end up with a proper HSR network, but car culture has convinced people that better transportation networks aren't possible and centrist neoliberalism has convinced people that it's better to be """""realistic"""" than to be ambitious

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
i googled futuristic train station and now i am going to post some of the photos that came up

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Detroit

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lobster shirt posted:

i think the funniest thing about my local subreddit is that half of the posts are about how horrible the drivers are (true) but also you get downvoted if you suggest people do things like "go the speed limit" and "leave appropriate following distance". it rocks, sharing the road with bad drivers who think that they are good drivers and everyone else is bad, really makes you feel safe.

hell there was a lawmaker proposal to lower the statutory unmarked speed limit, that is, the speed limit when no signs are up, from 35 to 25. this would mostly affect neighborhood streets. extremely unpopular! nothing can get in the way of getting up to full speed on a street where children are playing, asking anyone to go 25 is essentially cucking them.

ban cars

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
please donot sully this obeautiful thread about hating cars with the latest cspam forums drama

thisthread is for posting about hatinc cars

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

the virgin car vs. the chad cyclist

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

cool av posted:

i hate cars

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
i want to buy one of those machines that crushes cars into little metal cubes and then crush a bunch of cars into little metal cubes and build social housing out of them

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
i hate cars

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Sphyre posted:

yeah we wouldn’t want our precious cars to be inconvenienced by having to stop for a tram now would we

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
i still hate cars