Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

FirstnameLastname posted:

bicycles r the best ev conversion
cars aren't tho, need to make it that from the start

I did an electric conversion for my Brompton, and now I have a folding bike that shrinks down to backpack sized and can carry like uh... 10kg (officially, realistically more) on the front bracket and another 20-30 kg on the back rack if you get some small panniers to avoid heel strike. I can even ride it for like 30-40 miles on a charge, though the conversion has a somewhat limited battery compared to regular non-folding e-bike.

It's pretty neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

A zipcar subscription is kind of ideal for city dwellers as long as they have enough points to pick them up and shuffle around the cars as needed so the spots have ones available and enough places to end your journey.

If you need a car like... a few times a month it's cheaper than buying one and having to keep insurance and they take up way less parking since one car can serve dozens of people and doesn't sit idle for 22+ hours a day.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

corona familiar posted:

limit it to 20mph and it's basically a mega golf cart

My parents moved to The Villages (Yeah I know) but it's always funny to see some like 75 year old there zooming around with a riced out golf cart going like 50 miles an hour on bike trails with zero crash protection.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

NoU posted:

couldn't watch more than a minute of this guy. scolding other cyclists/pedestrians/scooters is also a choice?

When I lived in DC I got angrily yelled at for biking while wearing sandles.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

My car insurance has doubled in the past year. I barely drive and have no infractions or accidents.

I hate cars.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

BonHair posted:

One weird trick to avoid this is to not own a car. I have bought so much garden, bike and kids crap with the money I don't spend on a car.

Strongly considering it, though I do like hiking which does generally require owning a car or frequent renting.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I don't think I've ever had to get on an interstate to commute to work in my entire life, come to think of it

Lucky you.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

5 over seems to be the norm in the Philly area at least.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

If only there was some sort of a metal highway (to reduce rolling resistance) you could run cars on that requires few, if any, drivers compared to the number of people riding along.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I like handlebar covers like this when it gets **really** cold.

https://www.amazon.com/ROCK-BROS-Handlebar-Windproof-Coldproof/dp/B07WV274XZ

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Am I wrong, or are the people who put tinted/quick-to-yellow plastic covers over their plates the worst drivers on the planet?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Horseless Carriage

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Carmel Indiana has a ton of roundabouts and the people there have gotten used to them after more than a decade of use.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

people should talk to each other on public transit instead of being goony.

No

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Gondolas are cool when you have big elevation changes. They can get a lot cheaper than having to grade that earth.

They will still have much lower max throughput compared to rail though.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I know some people swear by biking in the opposite direction of traffic. But doesn't that mainly reduce reaction time for drivers and increase the relative impact speed if you do get into a collision while not meaningfully changing your ability to avoid collisions?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

If you're worried about cars creaming you from behind (heh) then get a mirror for your bike or helmet, so you can see behind.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Today I rode the train an hour away and biked to a hike instead of driving there. It was a neat experience.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Acceptable use of a car.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I just assume every car with an operator in it is trying to actively kill me at all moments and act accordingly.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

It should be "unregretted travel minutes"

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I really like living in a city where I can walk/bike to my doctor, dentist, post office, 2 grocery stores (3 next year), and like a dozen restaurants.

The number of car trips I need to make has been cut down by like 90% since I moved here. It's like one weekly for a hike and then one a few times a year if I need to haul a bigger load than I can carry in my backpack or on my bike.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

revolting

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Ham Equity posted:

I'm not speeding around like a loving psychopath, I'm just staying ahead of the dangerous drivers.

I just let the dangerous drivers pass me so they aren't my issue any more.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

How about scooters???

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Jesus what kind of rear end in a top hat goes and messes up the bikes at a bike share on some twisted idea that they will somehow get a single street parking spot back.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Rode my bike today

Ah, a fellow zojirushi owner I see.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1723537150925230097?s=20

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I had to rent one of these monstrosities while on a work trip because it was all that was available for the rental agency my company allowed, and it was the most miserable driving experience I've ever had. The inability to see anything going around me was terrifying and every single time I got out of it after a drive I was a nervous wreck.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Seems really weird to get aggro at a person making an on-topic first post.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

unrelated but I recently realized that having an old reg date went from being a cool thing to being something that just pegs you as being an old fucker. nobody who's young and hip would have a reg date such as this. disgusting.

The neat thing is you can spend :10bux: and become 16 years old again.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/WorldBollard/status/1716905345967431892#m

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

mystes posted:

All bikes are touring complete if you put some racks on

My Brompton absolutely gives me some hand pain if I ride if for more than 2ish hours. I have the m-bars on it. Maybe I should look into some Ergon GP3 grips.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

FirstnameLastname posted:

there's not much that can be done about since bc pickup beds have a pretty fixed shape and take up like half the volume of the vehicle - the biggest fix for the layout would be shifting the cargo to the front & putting the driver compartment in the back for a more efficient use of surface area, but lol at how bad people would be at driving something like that

I see you haven't heard about cab-over-engine.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kei_truck

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

A neat article that came out a few days summing up the regional improvements to rail around the country.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90980252/the-us-is-having-a-rail-travel-renaissance-but-you-probably-didnt-notice?partner=rss

Usually you only hear about the NEC so this is nice.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Putting the cab over the engine shortens the length of the vehicle, but it limits how small the frontal area can be, which is a bad tradeoff for fuel economy.

There's also this (I presume) has better efficiency by virtue of non-flat surfaces. It also has the added benefit of excellent front visibility because of the lower window which improves the already great visibility you get from the cab-over-engine design. I don't know how good the crash ratings on it are though. It's also a new company so typical warnings about the possibility of them going under and having no replacement parts available apply (though they have delivered actual vehicles to government customers, unlike say Tesla with their Cybertruck)

https://www.canoo.com/canoo

There's also a truck varient.
https://www.canoo.com/pickup

If you're going to need some vehicles for local deliveries I'd prefer these over the huge honkers we have in the US.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Wisconsin having a normal one.

https://twitter.com/wisconsin_now/status/1725338111280832904

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

The NTSB is recommending the NHTSA require speed governors in all new cars.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90985257/you-shouldnt-be-driving-over-100-mph-and-your-car-shouldnt-let-you

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Now if they could just improve the housing affordability in the region so a one bedroom doesn't cost 3k a month it might be worth moving to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

How the gently caress is a Kia Rio slaughtering people left and right? It's a little 1.4L subcompact.