Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Opening with the story of Rob parking shittily in their spots intentionally as a gag is interesting, I was driving home once and imagined that somebody parked in my spot in my apartment's underground, and just the idea of it made me absolutely furious. This completely imagined scenario which did not and has never happened, and which would barely have inconvenienced me, still managed to make me extremely angry. And I'm a pretty easy going person by nature.

The moral of the story is that cars turn people into monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Without speeding traffic and needlessly loud motorcycles the pedestrians won't want to flee into nearby businesses

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I like it when I go to the States and servers think my Canadian driver's license is fake because they apparently have no conception of geography beyond America

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Clark Nova posted:

lol I'm guessing the car is inoperable if the dashboard mediatainment screen dies?

Car manufacturers who aren't named Tesla try to separate those things for obvious reasons

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

Is the electrical infrastructure in the US really up to the task of having to do everything it's doing now

no

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

4k 144Hz brother

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Kicked Throat posted:

how can we make storefronts safer in an automative accident?

add more bollards

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Gotta love the thought process on this rear end in a top hat. "My car wont slow down, better leave the only space it might be safe to go this fast!"

I know he's lying and was probably just asleep or some poo poo but drat

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:lol: $1.65/L? that's not even very expensive

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Petanque posted:

if you convert USD to CAD it's 2.12/L which is basically what it is here in montréal

See I thought about including that conversion, but keep in mind that Americans are being paid in USD, and their median household income is basically identical to ours (with California's being much higher). There's probably more inequality at play which is an issue of course, but that's still basically Alberta pricing, not civilized place pricing.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

actionjackson posted:

yeah but you prob have decent public transit, we don't

:laffo:

:canada:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, a big issue with North American transit as a whole isn't actually a lack of lack coverage in suburbs (a lot of cities have commuter rail) but that agencies still run (for a variety of reasons) heavy commuter trains with diesel locomotives that are extremely expensive to run. If you electrified the line and ran much smaller/light cars (as in the rest of the world), it would be a lot easier to do normal rapid transit.

Yeah and in a place like Calgary where there never was commuter heavy rail, you'll find effective light rail systems, but ones that are exclusively designed to move workers to downtown in the morning, and out of it in evening. Everybody who doesn't live close enough to walk to a rail station drives there because the bus service is atrocious (30 minute intervals, winding circuitous routes through suburbs), and if you want to get anywhere outside of that operational peak, or god forbid off the train network (a category which includes the airport) be prepared for that trip to take 2+ hours.

They're working at making things better, but progress is unbelievably slow.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

My dude I live in Alberta, you just described 80% of the people who live here. Our provincial animal is the F150 rolling coal on sedans.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Okay this I like

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Speed limits are set for revenue generation not safety. gently caress off.

:lol: no they aren't you loving dumbass. This is the kind of poo poo that teenagers believe.

Speed limits are routinely "too low" relative to how wide and straight the roads are, but this has nothing to do with police ticketing people, and everything to with:

• the (generally wealthy) people who live in that area complained until a local politician pulled strings to get the limit reduced; and/or
  • the road was over designed in the first place because North American road design guidelines are terrible

Police absolutely do not need speed limits to issue tickets, you can go to any busy suburban intersection and see dozens of moving violations in an hour. They do primarily enforce speed limits because it's easy.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Pryor on Fire posted:

It would be nice if there were some way to fix issues with car safety without just directly dumping money into the police armored fighting vehicle fund.

I mean there's a fun and most importantly equitable way to do it cameras logging the times license plates go past them and then billing you if you cover the distance between them too fast, a bunch of European countries do it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/ihatetef/status/1530253209041833987?s=20&t=pkYxHGHFG57AN1VIO3ZUnw

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Xaris posted:

the funniest thing is intersections where they explicitly have many signs saying NO TURN ON RED, carbrains gett insanely upset when you don't run the red light and start honking even though there's a sign in their face saying NO TURN ON RED

There was a relatively famous incident in my city a few years ago, filmed from nearby building, where some driver was just leaning on his horn, furious that the person in front of them wasn't turning right on red, and thus preventing them from turning right on red. Queue 30 seconds of continuous horn before the light turns green, and it's revealed that the simple reason the first car wasn't turning is because they intended to go straight! What a world.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Irony.or.Death posted:

now we just need to expand the approach

Seriously, I live near the rockies and the dirt bikes and ATVs are outrageously damaging to the environment (they've basically ruined the water quality in the areas they're allowed to operate in in) and that's before you consider all the loving garbage the ATV campers leave out there.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Red Light Camera's are literally a scam though. They create a perverse incentive to make whatever failson ran company that profits from them change the timings to both increase accidents and make intersection less safe for everyone.

Or you know, you don't subcontract it out (I know, I know, :america:) or you don't give them control of the light timings which is much easier. Like are cities down in The Bad Place actually allowed private companies to set traffic light timings?

E: lol that is not the emote I expected but I like it

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Is there an i hate guns thread somewhere? The idea that people should be allowed to own semiautomatic firearms strikes me as very carbrained but also tangential

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Zerg Mans posted:

why is there a splat grill arms race

Gotta make the cars look angrymasculine

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Why does this thread always turn into PYF favorite car accidents every couple of pages? None of that poo poo is particular interesting or fun to read.

Counterpoint: it is very interesting and often quite fun to read

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Your brain is broken if you legitimately believe this.

These are systems that like it or not are very important to how our world operates. It's weird that you aren't interested in how and why those systems failed.

Next you'll tell me you don't like learning about airplane crashes.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

She ran a red light while running over a cyclist. Who cares if she resigns. She should be in jail.

This is some demonic typical car brain. Belief that other person doing something wrong gives driver a license to kill. Check. Car brain completely reinterpreting reality to fit beliefs. Check. Video shows a red for the car and yellow for the bicyclist.

Well she didn't run a red light, the cyclist did. She still deserves to be in jail for fleeing the scene of course.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Crosspostin'

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Zerg Mans posted:

it's not uncommon for people to brag about running over animals in their chudmobiles

Yeah my girlfriend used to do conservation work in Ontario, where the local assholes like to boast about "turtle popping"

Who the gently caress hates turtles, they're not even snappers, all Map, Painted and Blandings :negative:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I really like the way the concept art for this doesn't seem to include any way to bring fresh water in or sewage out...

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Btw, there are actually bizzaro threads out there of this one where Not Just Bikes is not only completely hated but words like “stroads” are hate speech. The world is an interesting place.

lol link that poo poo

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

TeenageArchipelago posted:

https://twitter.com/euancx/status/1562441956050886661?t=85hYqsHdCUsCi9XT4I9Nng&s=19

That video is apparently taken a little out of context from the review as a whole?

Did you watch the video? There's definitely a quip about how people are going to buy this and use it to go to the drive thru, but he is 100% sincere in his praise for that vehicle, even though the brakes fail if you drive it hard and it needs a front camera to allow you to see the pedestrians you will inevitably run over.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

In before he faces zero consequences

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Nitevision posted:

Time's up. I'm releasing the materials

:dudsmile:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Houston has all sorts of restrictions on what you can build, including large parking minimums and 25ft setbacks in most of the city. They just don't call it zoning.

https://kinder.rice.edu/urbanedge/2020/01/09/no-zoning-in-Houston-there-are-workarounds

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I'm also astonished that everyone is sticking to the column like that.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

One real-life problem is that the gas pedals are usually designed suchly that maintaining 30 km/h is painful on the ankle

Lol wat

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

our area bikeshare program put a station around the block from where I live. we liked that because we use the bikes whenever it's a pain to have to worry about our own bikes.

the station was up on a curb about 2-3 feet off the road, about 15 feet past a slight curve in the road. some dipshit wasn't looking, missed the curve, ran up on the curb, and slammed their car into the bikeshare station, destroying it. it was out of commission for a few weeks before it was repaired.

shortly after they repaired it, maybe two weeks later, some dipshit wasn't looking, missed the curve, ran up on the curb, and slammed their car into the bikeshare station, destroying it. again.

while people were out there cleaning up the station and assessing the new damage, some dipshit wasn't looking, missed the curve, ran up on the curb, and slammed their car into the people at the bikeshare station.

I don't think they're putting it back in.

Needs more bollards

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

^^^ I just realized the Apollo program took less time to land men on the moon than it has taken RSI to develop Star Citizen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I was gonna say, what idiot plotted it that way rather than as two lines on a graph with time as the x axis? Gas price on one y axis, approval on the other.