Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I did not know this thread was a thing. I just wanted to say that I walk a lot (I don't own a car) and a thing that I believe but cannot prove is that there are way more pedestrians and bicyclists hit by cars every year than statistics would indicate. I think I see someone hit by a car about every eighteen months or so--three of those times at the same intersection--and I think EMTs/police were only called for two of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BeeSeeBee posted:

I want to say that when Google was starting their self-driving car experiment, they were finding that reported crash rates in the environments they were operating in (i.e. residential neighborhoods) were like half of what they were experiencing because people don't report all sorts of low speed/cost/damage crashes.

I've been hit by two cars in 20 years of riding, both times just tapped at <5mph with no fall/injury and I didn't report them even though the drivers stopped and were apologetic, and I'd say there's probably a lot of similar stories that unfortunately underrepresent the danger of cars in the statistics.

Oh, I'm not even counting just getting touched by a car like that. The last one I saw was a car cutting in front of a bicyclist where the bicyclist tab into the front side of the car and flew over the hood.

Like, by that measure I've been hit by a car a couple of times. I'm definitely thinking at a minimum getting knocked off your feet for what I'm counting.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cugel the Clever posted:

https://twitter.com/MiamiHerald/status/1483818585411698697?s=20
In all seriousness, the series of grave mistakes you have to loving make as a driver to cause a collision with a train are just unfathomable to me. It's a drat shame any of the drivers survive because these are the exact idiots most likely to murder pedestrians. The meme responses to the Herald's assbackwards tweets are pretty good.

I'm sure that it has nothing to do with the age of the average driver in Florida.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

mawarannahr posted:

not sure you heard but there’s been a study showing that, like SARS OG, the virus is capable of spreading through ventilation and plumbing in shared housing.

i live in shared housing in a city and always will but right now there isn’t much appealing about city life, which is greatly diminished.

I had not heard that, do you have a link?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mayor Dave posted:

They actually can't afford those vehicles, people are taking out six and seven year loans to pay for them

The average car loan is now up to six years. There was an article a few years ago about how that length has drastically increases over the last decade or so, and how more and more loans are being made with the remainder of the balance of the previous loan rolled into them.

It's looked like a huge bubble for the last five years or so, but it somehow hasn't popped yet, I don't know how.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwxIaK8_xoM

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Anytime Margaret Thatcher comes up, I feel compelled to post this:

https://youtu.be/DUlj48Rvp1c

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

500excf type r posted:

The other car is pretty clearly the aggressor in that video and attacked the guy first, that doesnt make it okay or good to shoot all crazy like that, but if someone is attacking you, you should absolutely have every right to defend yourself.
I feel like maybe a public policy of "if someone throws a water bottle at you, please feel free to fire off 11 bullets on a freeway in the name of self-defense" creates some perverse incentives.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

please give me the right to defend myself from cars (as a pedestrian)

Maybe we're on to something, here. I pretty much feel like I'm being constantly threatened by the cars driving near me.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cugel the Clever posted:

This happens with enough frequency in the US that it's hard to point to which one you might be thinking of. There was one where the driver was belatedly arrested and charged after sufficient outcry, don't know if the outcome. Then a second with effectively the same scenario occurred a few weeks later.

Not exactly the same, but happened around the same time:

https://komonews.com/amp/news/local/teen-charged-in-hit-and-run-death-of-jogger-now-suspected-in-second-pedestrian-crash

But we should definitely let teenagers drive semi trucks.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
SR-99 Tunnel Threatens South Lake Union's Light Rail Future

quote:

Boosters of the SR-99 tunnel replacing the Alaskan Way Viaduct promised transit improvements to Seattle voters, hoping to win their favor. It turns out, however, the opposite was true. No King County Metro buses use the tunnel, even three years after its opening, and now the tunnel is complicating plans for a second light rail tunnel through Downtown.

Sound Transit’s preferred alternative would put an underground station at Harrison Street and SR-99. Since this location is right where SR-99 enters a tunnel, it means the light rail station has to be quite deep to clear the car tunnel — 120 feet deep in the agency’s plan. This depth could add nearly five minutes to a transit trip just in navigating the cavernous station and dealing with long escalators or elevators that could have significant queues at a station projected to get 10,500 daily boardings. It will also make the transit station more expensive to build for a transit agency already facing major cost escalation issues.

To add insult to injury, it also puts a station entrance right next to the car pollution venting out of the tunnel, including the four yellow tubes that vent out smoke in case of a fire in the tunnel — hardly a pleasant environment for riders accessing the long station escalators or 11-story deep elevators. Nor is it an ideal location for transit-oriented development. Who wants to live sandwiched next to a busy highway trench and a smokestack?

As co-founder of the People’s Waterfront Coalition, Cary Moon pushed the Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) to abandon its tunnel plan and support surface transit alternative instead. Unfortunately, WSDOT and other tunnel boosters were relentless and eventually forced through the controversial project despite the fierce opposition from transit advocates and Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn. The tunnel failed a public advisory vote in 2007, but tunnel boosters kept pushing and spinning the project.

Governor Jay Inslee called the highway tunnel the “eighth wonder of the world” at its ribbon-cutting ceremony back in 2019 — three years later than promised after the world’s largest tunnel boring machine broke down trying to chew through 1,000 feet of sloppy Seattle soil. The project’s cost overruns were significant even before toll revenue came in far under projections due to WSDOT’s unrealistic and exaggerated traffic modeling — a persistent problem for the agency and the industry. Now, this gift that keeps on giving is driving up Sound Transit 3 costs and worsening future outcomes for riders.

“They told us they were burying the highway through the city, but in fact what they were doing is burying it for part of the city and putting a lot of car infrastructure right into the middle of the city right there in South Lake Union,” McGinn said in an interview. “All of the infrastructure to move cars fast through the neighborhood are inconsistent with what we need to move people in transit in and out of the neighborhood.”

The whole thing is just more of that. Mike McGinn got single-termed as mayor primarily for being right about things. Seattle has this reputation as a very progressive city, but man do our loving rear end in a top hat Boomers and techbros love their loving cars.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Filthy Hans posted:

vehicles are larger, heavier, far more powerful and tend to have a higher center of gravity than 30 years ago

tires, brakes and suspensions have come a long way in that time too, but once they started putting big dick motors into almost every car in the last 10 years things have gotten really lovely

https://www.statista.com/chart/17194/pedestrian-fatalities-in-the-us-by-year/

also over the last 40 years the average distance driven by Americans has more than doubled, to an average of over 14k miles per year

Also, there's basically no penalty for murder as long as you use your car to do it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The passing lane argument is similar to the "most accidents caused by driver error" argument: yeah, it's mostly the psychopaths who cause problems when you don't use the passing lane (like it's mostly the psychopaths who cause problems with "driver error"), but that means we have to drive in such a way as to minimize the damage done by the psychopaths (just like we need to start designing roads and vehicles around the fact that people drive like psychopaths). You should only use the passing lane for passing.

https://youtu.be/4oqfodY2Lz0

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fitzy Fitz posted:

This reminds me, you should always wear reflective clothing when you're walking somewhere. Consider waving a bright colored flag when in a crosswalk. And always make eye contact with drivers when you cross the street!

If you don't look both ways when crossing the street with the light or at a stop sign even though you have right of way, you have a loving death wish.

Should you have to do that? Absolutely loving not. Do the rules and dictates of society as it currently operates make it mandatory? Yup.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nitevision posted:

How many people who live here own cars, would you estimate

You think of I sent the French consulate a picture of Bellevue Square Mall they'd grant me asylum?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

El Pollo Blanco posted:

E motorbikes are kinda dumb because in order to go as fast as a bike that barely sips petrol you need to add a huge amount of battery weight for the high voltage and high discharge rate required

E mopeds make more sense as you're only aiming for 50-60kph top speed on a lighter chassis, and 50 miles of range on a charge is fine for most cities I imagine

When I was in Taiwan five years ago, they had e-mopeds that used battery shares, so you'd just drop off your dead battery in the charging station and pick up a live one in exchange.

I have no idea what the externalities of that are, but it looked pretty awesome, and a lot of their street infrastructure is built for mopeds.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Yep what type of American would I be if I didn't apologize for walking to places.

Wouldn't need to apologize if you'd just buy a goddamn full-size truck.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I'm not sure what's more surprising: Eric Adams advocating for something good, or the New York Times using the phrase "traffic violence."

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

an actual frog posted:

The great thing about bike commuting, or walking if you're lucky enough, is the fixed-time aspect. Unless the area's choked with snow or ice nothing's stopping you, your commute will always take about the same time.

It's very freeing.

I have a longer walking commute now than my standard bus commute previously, and the advantage of never needing to worry about traffic or scheduling or anything really does free you from a ton of stress. It was a big selling point of the job for me.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This is a crazy thought--totally insane--but what if, instead of working so loving hard to make gas cheaper we just mitigated the effects of expensive gas on those most-impacted? Like, say, with a "gas price mitigation" check for... I don't know, let me just pull a random number out of the air... Say, $2,000? Could means test it, and have a gradual decline in the amount of benefits as people's income goes up, like the lanyards love so much. And then we just... Let gas prices go up. A market-driven way to mitigate climate change and encourage alternative energy. This should make everyone happy, right? It's what everyone says they want.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I think everyone wants low gas prices forever, drat the consequences. I mean there's some hype for EVs, but it's just an extension of the same mindset -- wanting easy access to everything, all the time, with no compromises.

I can't imagine that Americans would be that selfish. It's not like we'd do something insane like go to war for lower gas prices, right?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Reduction in births to families that already have two children is bad...?

That's an interesting take. I would also love to know how they arrived at that 57 figure.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fame Douglas posted:

lmao. Building an expensive tunnel to replace a waterfront highway and open up the waterfront, then adding another highway in place of the previously removed highway is some real galaxy brain city planning.
One of the previous mayors was super against it, but the powers that be just kept loving pushing it.

Mike McGinn was a huge bicycle advocate, and his biggest sin was being right about everything, so the CHUD city council (led by a piece of poo poo pig motherfucker) fought him on loving everything. Then, the Chamber of Commerce and said city council decided they'd rather work with a child molester, so that's who we got.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Lum_/status/1502386249310560257?s=20&t=r55qk0KUQrHCFjFfC6vlbw

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

That's gotta be a joke, right?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

indigi posted:

you have to tell her the truth so she doesn’t find out from her rear end in a top hat classmates in 5th grade

I feel like this is a pretty good justification to move and get a legal name change.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

indigi posted:

whenever I see someone with a Mercedes’ suv or whatever parked across the line taking up two spaces in a parking lot I will check for cameras and if there are none I key their car hehe it’s a fun little prank

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/video-reveals-seattle-attorney-keying-car/

quote:

Earlier this month, Mattson, a lawyer since 1972, admitted he scratched three vehicles with his keys in the Columbia Center parking garage because he didn’t like the way they were parked. He was given a one-year suspended sentence and was ordered to perform 240 hours of community service after pleading guilty to attempted second-degree malicious mischief, a gross misdemeanor.

In both incidents, the vehicles had been parked over the designated parking-space lines. In addition to the damage, insulting notes were left on the windshields criticizing the drivers. One driver was called a “dweeb” and the other an “idiot,” according to the documents.

And we prosecuted this man instead of pinning a medal on him. I maintain accepting the plea bargain was a mistake, he should have insisted on a jury trial.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I keep watching Not Just Bikes and it just makes me so loving angry that we could have nice things and we just loving don't.

Everyone involved in the Seattle Waterfront reconstruction should be thrown in loving prison. That goes double for the "Democratic" governor who supported it before she left office, then just last year endorsed a literal loving Trump-supporting-election-questioning-CHUD for city attorney of Seattle.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

In Philly there are occasional giant mobs of ATVs and dirt bikes and such that swarm into the street grid and paralyze everything and seem to have a pretty fun time. They get bigger every year. What are people's opinions on those??

These are generally horrifically loud, and I think the motors that they use are really loving bad for the environment (correct me if I'm wrong)...?

I go hella old man on loud engines. loving obnoxious as poo poo for no loving reason.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Like, the solution is a multi-pronged approach of letting gas be much more expensive, giving the poor stimulus payments to mitigate that cost, and building a bunch of denser housing with non-car transit options.

Of course, we'll never do that, so the only option is to write a bunch of checks to cars.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

indigi posted:

obviously they should be doing the housing thing, but they are giving the poor stimulus payments to mitigate the cost of high fast prices. that’s the exact thing everyone is complaining about. did you want them to means test the stimulus payments so none would go to rich people? do you feel the same way about college tuition?
You think it's better to means test the stimulus by only giving it to people who own cars?

Gas prices are going to affect food prices and the prices of other goods as well, and the state is basically just telling anyone too poor to own a car to gently caress off. It's some dumb poo poo that the means testing they're doing ensures that anyone driving a Ford Raptor and a Jeep Monstrosity gets an $800 check, but if you have to take the loving bus because you can't afford insurance, you get loving nothing.

While not the worst possible thing you could do, is definitely in the bottom 20%.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Surprised Pikachu.jpg

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fat, sugar, salt, and prejudice

I've never had it, but my gay, polyamorous friend from Florida swears by it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/stanveuger/status/1514387061796659205?s=20&t=fj4a49xkyQGY6ckwPmGeHA

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I still say the solution to all parking problems is just giant subterranean garages, but wah wah they cost too much
Yup, let's just keep tooling along, pretending that induced demand isn't a thing, and that we should be spending our finite resources on more car infrastructure.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

quote:

When asked why there was no more investigation, Coats said "it was kind of a 'he said, she said' thing."

The cyclist said he spoke with investigators again Friday, who said the driver gave officers a different version of events but was not charged or cited.
Gee, it's a shame there's absolutely no way of figuring out which of these people is telling the truth other than talking to them.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

I assume the driver just said "nuh-uh" and the cops were like "gently caress cyclists, we're not even going to spend one minute watching the video."

mystes posted:

Jesus christ

I love that even with actual footage the police still don't give a poo poo and the only way to even try to get them to do their job is to go to a newspaper and get tons of people to start complaining.

Also after watching way too many videos from that channel Boywhiz88 linked, I literally just ordered a cheap action camera to use when biking but after seeing this I guess it doesn't make any difference anyway.

Norton posted:

what even could be a "different version of events" that would explain what happened? did he tell the cops there were bees in the car attacking him and he was swerving on accident? officer, i was saying i hope you die to the BEES. i made a u-turn and came back down the road to try to give them the slip. sorry i almost had a little traffic oopsie!!

I mean, this is Texas, the same place where a dude rolling coal ran over six bicyclists and was allowed to leave the scene, didn't even get a ticket until the piece of poo poo pig motherfuckers and the DA started getting hit on Facebook about it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Self-driving cars only solves part of the transit problem; you still need to manufacture, fuel, and park those cars, and you still have to maintain car infrastructure.

You could probably justify them a bit more if we taxed the gently caress out of cars with the intention that they primarily be owned by a business and used as a share. But even that doesn't fully solve the infrastructure/environmental issues.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Magic Hate Ball posted:

People like shopping and eating, and basing your entire infrastructure around stroads makes it so that the only thing you can do is shop or eat, and the only way to do it is to drive.
As a society, we really just hate public places you can be comfortably without having to pay money. It's like... libraries and parks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The bus got hit by a car going 110 loving miles per hour, and nobody died; how much loving safer can you get?