Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
gently caress cars, inshallah.

https://twitter.com/SAAQ/status/1189205427118051328

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Just had someone in a large SUV tailgate me for three miles on a four lane road with light traffic. I was in the right lane, going five over the limit. At one point, I raise my hand and point to the totally unoccupied left lane to pass me in. But no, even more aggressive tailgating to the point where I can't see their headlights in my rear view mirror. I eventually make my right hand turn by going extra slow since it's directly after a large bend in the road. They rev around me flipping me off and then veer back into the right lane so vigorously I thought they were going to roll over. Why, why instigate this poo poo? We're already miserable in this car dependent hellscape, no need to add to it.

gently caress cars.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
this thread's national anthem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1t68CU4owo

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
well there's your problem feat. not just bikes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm29fd-s7tQ

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I generally avoid the left lane on highways because it's full of lunatics, but sometimes I have to use it to pass or make room for people entering the highway. Nearly every time I inhabit the left lane for even a moment I'm tailgated by an aggressive driver trying to do 90 mph even though I'm typically doing ~10 mph over the speed limit and am only there for a few moments. So when people complain about other drivers cruising too slowly in the left lane, I usually assume they're talking about literally anyone who was going slower than them for even a moment, and tbh gently caress those people.

:same:

I had some insanityperson do this to me last year. I was passing a semi in the middle lane, and it took me 10-15 seconds for my complete pass. They must have veered across three lanes from the right to get behind me without noticing. I tend to never get in the left lane unless I'm sure I'll have plenty of time to pass before I'd get tailgated by a SUV/brodozer. As soon as I get two-three car lengths ahead of the semi, I use my signal and move back to the center/cruise lane. This person also moves to the center lane at the same time, then veers back to the left lane, slows up alongside me, flips me off, then motors down to the next bit of traffic. She then veers all the way to the right lane to try to go around the slow traffic in the outer lanes but hits a snag (slow driver) in the right lane. This brings up another pet peeve of mine: driving the speed limit in the far right lane. You will still get dozens/hundreds of people flying into that lane to pass on the right, because the people passing on the left are doing so at 86 not 88 mph. You can't escape these awful drivers anymore with even the best defensive driving. This sucks.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

And always make eye contact with drivers when you cross the street!

Won't matter, they'll be looking at their cellphone.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

mystes posted:

Yeah this is the biggest problem in most of the US but unfortunately Americans love lovely single purpose zoning for some reason.

R-r-racism?

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Minera posted:

a ton of people at work go pre start their cars 30 minutes before their shift ends so they don't have to be cold

don't look up how much gas is wasted while your car idles lol

are they Boomers? modern cars don't need to "warmed up" more than a minute on even the coldest Midwest morning. Just wait for the revs to drop and you're good to go. My car's engine is so efficient that I have to drive around before it gets warm.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Cat Puke posted:

gently caress cars and gently caress Texas.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Houston and LA at least have some semblance of culture. Phoenix, Vegas, SLC and to a lesser extent Denver as sprawled-out, cultureless voids.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

actionjackson posted:

I had to go to Dallas, in loving August, for some event at a hotel. I had someone with me who was in a wheelchair. We had to cross this lol

wow, what a humane and beautiful landscape.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

At least there are sidewalks, lol.

for me to poop on

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
the official state car of colorado and minnesota. you know, for those handfuls of days where you might need high clearance after a snowfall but before the plows clear the snow away. I love that they suffer so many more issues than a toyota or honda.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I feel like DMV fees should be 8-16 times higher for SUV / pickup truck drivers than for beta Honda Civic drivers like me. Since that's how much more their vehicles degrade the roads.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Wealthy people aren't going to strip malls, they're going to these horrible places that have sprung up in recentish years that are like malls but only outside. So you've got this maze of paths and stores that honestly could just have a roof on it with skylights and be climate controlled and comfy but nah it's gotta be open for some reason

Outlet malls? The two I go to are mostly working and middle class people looking for a deal at Banana Republic or the Disney store. Wealthy people shop online or at some boutique stores in the city center.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
love it or leave it, baby. :911:

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Dog Case posted:

The only sidewalk in this image is in the hotel parking lot

Also there's a cemetery next to the mall. I got to see it when we were walking through the grass along the highway trying to get somewhere without a car

Ah, Yorktown Mall. I went to a wedding at the Westin right before the Plandemic. It was actually stuffy in the "ballroom", so we hung out on the patio which overlooked the reed choked retention pond.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
gotta beat the tornado home lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpLL50MY9Zc

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Zerg Mans posted:

Also here's Munich's

I've been to that station a hundred times if I've been there once. Wasted many hours there waiting for a train. It feels like a nice mall compared to Chicago's two train stations. I remember that Austria was in the process of completely renovating/modernizing all of the country's main train stations. Salzburg's station is incredible, and it's only a city the size of a large suburb in southern California or Texas.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
the atrium at the Ogilvie Station in Chicago is the only thing I really remember about it.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Netflix has added a few episodes of "Hajimete no Otsukai" which is an old show that follows little kids in Japan as they run their first errand. It's featured briefly in this clip about the same topic:

https://youtu.be/P7YrN8Q2PDU

We've stolen so much freedom from kids.

incredible. especially since the US national myth is self-reliance, every person for themself...

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I just read Blood and Thunder and am 1/3 of the way through Cadillac Desert thanks to this thread. lol lmao at any dipshit that thinks going remote is in any way a net positive for the planet.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

there's no conceivable way there ever would have been peace between the Navajo and the US, but the part in Blood and Thunder that really stayed with me is when one guy hosed up a potential peace agreement because his horse was stolen and he demanded it be returned and the Navajo were like "we have no idea what you're talking about so we're just gonna leave" and instead of just letting it lay for the sake of a better future they decided to shoot the Chief that attempted to broker the peace in the back.

Poor Narbona. :(

Then they force the tribe to move across New Mexico to that bleak outpost, Bosque Redondo. Then the US govt dipshits finally realize that no humans should live there (only because the troops stationed there absolutely hated it) and let the remaining members of the tribe wander back to their ancestral lands (within the boundaries of the new reservation).

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Isn't it true that when you double the weight of a vehicle, the force or destruction it causes a paved roadway is 16 times greater? Like my Honda Civic is 2,900 pounds and the average pickup truck is 6,000 pounds, so they should be paying more in taxes to fund road reconstruction. lol we subsidize these shitheads' existence (large destructive vehicles, mcmansions in the middle of nowhere, etc.).

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

six lane stroad with no turn lanes, wonderful.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Folks, I'm starting to think there's something very wrong with American society.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Nitevision posted:

You can't finance a jetliner and drive it based on passing a single test when you're 16. And trains literally can't turn. The meager brains are coming from inside your head

:iceburn:

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
lmbo

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
you put up a good fight. :)

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I drove on the highway heading south of the Twin Cities last weekend. It's a four lane highway with a grass median, where it alternates between limited access (on/off ramps) and at-grade intersections. The speed limit is 65 mph but everyone was going 70-80 mph. What absolutely poor road design lol.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
US 52

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

actionjackson posted:

oh, okay. were you going to rochester? I've only been on I-35 and I-90 in southern Minnesota

yeah, I'm in the process of moving from Roch to the cities. I've driven this stretch of highway before, but this time I thought of this thread while doing so.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
yeah, the absolute dipshits where I live in Minnesota do not know how to approach a simple roundabout (blasting through the yield sign without first looking to the left). most have tire tracks that go through the center. lol!

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
No Golden Corral. 2/10

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I live directly across the street from a somewhat large high school. My building's parking lot/garage abuts the busy four lane stroad that separates the school from me. I was getting stuff out of my trunk this week and heard a loud, old pick up truck (not uncommon) and saw an old S-10 flying down the street at 50+ mph with six high school duders sitting in the bed of this small truck. A few waved at me lol. There's also a crosswalk there that I use to gain access to the city's trail network and the cars will absolutely not stop for you unless it is during the start or end of a school day. The small horseshoe drive that serves the high school is filled with double-parked parents waiting to pick up their children. After that occurs, the remainder of the parents park in the right lane of the nearest side of the stroad to the school. There are no shoulders or curbs. Other traffic still flies by these parked cars. lol!

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

wow, what a nice person.

quote:

Shean testified Wednesday that in 2013, a California Highway Patrol officer pulled over Grossman after she was clocked going 92 mph on the 101 Freeway in Agoura Hills and warned her she could kill someone.

He said the officer recalled the incident because of a comment he said Grossman made: “He better hope he doesn’t need to come to the Grossman Burn Center for help.”

quote:

Samuels, however, ruled the air bag “didn’t [just] go off.” The judge said there were 14 ignition attempts after Grossman’s Mercedes stopped, so there is no other explanation than that she was trying to flee, making the case for a hit-and-run.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

mistermojo posted:

maybe its because this is the first nice weekend in 8 months in Minnesota but the highways were crazy today. numerous crashes which caused so much traffic during which I saw multiple cars go full speed and slam on the breaks (which is probably what caused the crashes in the first place)

its a jungle out there. maybe everyone does have covid brain

great. I have a 350 mile drive tomorrow to Illinois. Guess I'll leave at 7 AM to beat most of the craziness.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I have the shortest commute of my life, outside of my time working in Europe. It is 10 minutes/2 miles one way and if I encounter other cars, there will be some fuckery about. People riding my rear end even though I have my turn signal on and there is another lane next to us, not yielding before entering a roundabout, veering into my lane while picking up their phone, etc. I only drive when it's very cold here in MN, otherwise I bike on the trails that I'm very grateful to have at my disposal.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

what a fuckin' dipshit lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I'm 185 lbs and 5'7". I can also get on a bike and ride a hundred miles in about six hours at 41 years old.

:gizz: