Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
I still like The Cars though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Polo-Rican posted:

that's practically all pickup trucks! real contractors doing actual work almost exclusively use white vans, because there aren't many cases where hauling stuff in an exposed flatbed is ideal

yeah, everyone that I've known that has done some kind of manual labor job either drives a smaller car or one of those big white vans. everyone that I know that drives a pickup works in an office or has a white collar job.

my BIL does flooring for a living drives a big white van. also he insists that his daughter study hard so she can go to college and not shred her knees installing carpet

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
also it is extremely easy to go camping with a Golf lol you just can't bring your entire house

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

War and Pieces posted:

I know a dozen day laborer types who drive pickups bit they universally drive 1990's Rangers and Tacoma's

yeah I was gonna add that I do see pickups sometimes, a few of my neighbors have people mow their lawns for them so the lawnmowers drive trucks with trailers but the trucks are all older trucks that are obviously not just grocery getters. None of them are new trucks, maybe the newest one I've seen is a decade old and has the dents and scratches you would expect to see from someone using it for work.

as opposed to the bougie grocery store near by that is filled with big rear end brand new trucks.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Good news, those are all insanely expensive now too

lol isn't that about the same price as a corvette?

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

mystes posted:

I think most gps apps try not to do too much of that in general because people complained a lot when they were first catching on (although if you're unlucky and it really makes enough of a difference you can still end up with them routing a ton of traffic through your street), but I believe waze will in fact try to send people on really stupid complicated routes to save .1 second because I guess that's what waze users want

apple maps still does this, it gives me dumb directions all the time.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
has anyone posted the tacticool urban assault vehicle yet

https://twitter.com/AssBoss80085/status/1543341908893876226

it's got thermal night vision!!

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Dog Case posted:

It's almost like there's no good place to ride a bike because infrastructure in America sucks

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
I live on a one way street with a posted 20 mph speed limit. we have families with small children in my neighborhood.

nothing turns me into a crochety old man faster than some rear end in a top hat in an SUV speeding down the road. put speedbumps every 50 ft IMO

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
none of you is free of liberalism

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
all car should be this car

https://twitter.com/fuckedupcars/status/1575109987453399042

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

a_pineapple posted:

Next 10 years of transportation gonna be hilarious

More vehicles on the road -> traffic
Heavier EVs on the road causing more damage to the road -> more road construction -> lane closures -> traffic
Higher demand for charging stations -> more EVs waiting in line for a charge -> traffic
Frustrated drivers getting aggressive and driving like poo poo because traffic is awful -> more dead pedestrians -> lane closures and emergency vehicles on the road -> traffic

it's called freedom and i'll remind you that freedom isn't free

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
lol there's a school in my neighborhood, I guess it's a private school with no bus service so every student has to get dropped off, so there's a poo poo ton of traffic in the mornings and around 3 pm. They all line up and block an entire lane of a residential street for an entire block waiting to get into the parking lot to drop their kids off. in the mornings they haul rear end through my neighborhood because they're very important people with very important things to do. I was walking my dog this morning and I have to cross the street to get to the side walk, I check left right and start to cross when some lady driving a minivan on the same street I'm on (but opposite side of the intersection) decides she doesn't need to stop at a stop sign or look for pedestrians and does a blind right turn. fortunately I was far enough away she didn't hit me or my dog as she nailed the curb and hauled rear end up to get to the school.

I wonder if she saw me giving her the one finger salute.

the speed limit is supposed to be 20 but I guess that doesn't count if you're late for work in which case the speed limit is somewhere between 45 and 50

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

silicone thrills posted:

The elementary school next to my house blocks the bus lane with little folding signs so they can make sure the bus lane is clear and safe for kids and people regularly hit and drive over those signs. I saw someone ram into one and back up to roll over it again once.

Drivers are loving lunatics.

I hate them.

people see a school zone and think "how can I behave like the worlds biggest most entitled rear end in a top hat"

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

mortons stork posted:

they recently built a shopping mall right behind me (which is bad) but they also added a couple footpaths and added extra streets that lead to it directly, which is nice since the shopping mall connects radially to other places i want to go and the footpaths are legit car-free zones, connecting to a metro station, which is pretty cool

anyway accessing the footpaths requires crossing a boulevard which was made into a protected pedestrian crossing with a traffic light. you have to push the button, then it brings 4 lanes of traffic to a full stop for 30 or so seconds while you cross. drivers loving hate the new pedestrian crossing. how do i know? all of the buttons to call for a pedestrian green light have been vandalized and sabotaged and no longer work. repeatedly. tactical urbanism folks!
i know its on purpose because theres a whole bunch of protected crossings in my area but this is the only one that gets sabotaged.
god i hate automobiles and drivers

there's a church/private school (not the same school as my other post) that has one of those on a busier street. People have laid on the horn because I didn't run the red light and sat there until it was no longer red despite someone not being in the crosswalk. There's a lot of kids in this area walking to and from school.

assholes

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
https://twitter.com/fuckedupcars/status/1585623591147769856

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

iirc she was actually in double digits, right? like 13x crashes?

being a broken record here but incidents like that are so revealing. we have this whole drivers license thing where you're supposed to prove that you're able to handle the responsibilities of using a piece of heavy machinery in public, but there's absolutely no mechanism for permanently rescinding your license after you prove that you aren't actually handling those responsibilities

like you get in trouble for driving without a license, because we can all agree that driving is a serious responsibility. but once you have a license, it's no longer a serious responsibility, it's something you can gently caress up over and over and over again until you incinerate a bunch of people and a pregnant mother and the government is like "drat that's wild, maybe everyone should have been more careful or something. anyways she sure was a bad driver"

if she somehow gets a lawyer that gets her off the charges, is there anything that would even stop her from jumping right behind the wheel again? and shouldn't there be? shouldn't there have been after the first crash she caused?

I'm 38 and I've only taken 1 driving test which was a written test when I was 16. In fact I just renewed my license and the only questions I was asked aside from my address was if I was a donor or a veteran.

When I renew my car tags I do it online I'm only asked my plate # zip code and credit card number. Not like if my car is safe to drive or anything lol

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
a cool car

https://twitter.com/fuckedupcars/status/1625195599443156992

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

eXXon posted:

https://twitter.com/malikfnlol/status/1566269787843354624

Top Tesla tweeting twiggy-legged twerp title taken.

i hope he gets robbed lol

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Horace posted:

since total car domination was just the norm, I never thought about it. until the local council launched a very nice local history website with thousands of high-res scans of photos dating back to the 1840s.

"wow, so and so street used to be lined with trees, its street parking now"
"this is a pretty row of houses and a pub. what is it now? oh, a car park"
"they demolished all these beautiful old buildings when they widened that road?"
"there used to be trams running through here??"

why had all these things happened which made my town uglier and less pleasant to be in?

eventually the penny dropped

kansas city?

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

mystes posted:

I think I saw a picture on r/fuckcars of something similar at some university somewhere where there were tons of skid marks but I can't remember where it was

it was my undies

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

eXXon posted:

Do you have stairs in your pants?

please don't poke fun at my physical deformities

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
terminal car brain in the comments and from matty g

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1626407763227168768

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
I get nostalgic sometimes for college in Lawrence KS but a big part of it was being able to walk to so many places. I lived off campus but just right off campus so I could walk anywhere on the main campus. Me and my fiancee would stop at the bar across the parking lot and pregame and then walk to Allen Fieldhouse (or Memorial Stadium when KU football was good). Massachusetts st was within walking distance so we could walk to concerts and bars and a big park plus if we were going out with friends it was probably on Mass st. If we were going to a party it was 99% of the time within a mile of campus. I could walk to work. Didn't have to worry about finding or being a designated driver. The only reason we had a car was to haul groceries or drive to see family. If the roads were too lovely we could still walk to the store. Now I live in the suburbs and it sucks, can't really go anywhere without a car, there's only one decent place to drink within walking distance and it's not really a bar so it's not like you can go and hangout and drink beer and watch a game. At least I work from home now. I have a nice car I guess but I hate driving. I honestly can't understand why people like living in car centric communities, it's soul crushing.

spacemang_spliff has issued a correction as of 22:27 on Feb 18, 2023

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

AnimeIsTrash posted:

one of these babies

hindus stan cars

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

this loving nerd

https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1629219968989503489

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
I see dumbshit carbrains not stop for the school bus stop signs all the time makes me wanna go full hank hill and citizens arrest some assholes

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lumpentroll posted:

so did viggo mortensen

So did Paul Bartel

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Jonny 290 posted:

not that the buyers can't afford it, but luxo cars are starting to do this

lmao

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Every one of those idiots is insisting that the cyclist is wrong for going straight in a turning lane, but he would have been hit regardless. It's not even clear that he was going straight. He'd barely entered the intersection.

I've never driven in australia but assuming it's like the US, the driver is at fault. He's in a lane that's clearly marked as straight only with solid white lines (so shifting lanes is illegal) and he makes an illegal left turn without signaling or yielding. lol i hate driving so much you put your life in the hands of people who have no idea wtf they're doing

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

My wife and I share one car and we've only put 848 miles on it since mid-November. that rules

most of my trips are within a half mile of my house. and most of those are to one of the 2 grocery stores in that half mile. I've only had to use my car once this week, which was to go to band practice in another town.

although I'm lucky enough that my house is both within a half mile of a bougie shopping area and also there's a path I can take that facilitates walking.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
"Do you know who else walked?"

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Idk how it is in DC but every state I’ve ever lived in has points for moving violations and if you rack up too many in a certain period (in Oregon I think they drop off after three years) they suspend your license

I've heard of that but KS doesn't have it. In fact you can pay $20 at the courthouse to get your ticket knocked down to a lesser charge lol. I had an illegal left turn reduced to a non-moving violation when the lady at the window said I could do that

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/DaGeezer007/status/1638075124560670722

this kind of take comes up a lot and it's really irritating because you generally still need all of your extremities, plus your neck, plus your mental faculties, to be able to drive

it's not like anyone with a broken [right] ankle or is too senile to ride a bike is going to be able to drive a car, either

spaces that prioritize bikes and pedestrians are safer for people in wheelchairs. would someone in a wheelchair rather cross 6 lanes of stroad traffic? Or would they rather cross where the road crossing comes up to meet the sidewalk height and there are ample traffic slowing mechanisms

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lol americans are loving psychotic

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

We've entered the terminal phase of carbrain, where cars aren't even mentioned when they hurt or kill people

https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/one-person-injured-pedestrian-accident-downtown/2YRVQLRO55HFPPMGIWSTQPTT5Y/

sometimes pedestrians just spontaneously become injured

it's weird that even though cause and effect is a law throughout the universe this doesn't apply to humans walking, they just become injured randomly and instantaneously with no discernable cause. fortunately we have our top scientists looking into how this happens

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lol taking out a HELOC to finance your tacticool truck that needs a trailer to haul anything

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Homocow posted:

does anybody actually drive their $100,000 truck offroad?

no it's a $100,000 grocery hauler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
There's a couple of rivians in my area and they look like big toy trucks lol

Just build an electric golf just a normal car that a sane person who isn't terminally cringe would buy