Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

i saw a tweet recently that was like "i would love to be able to just ride my loving bike without contemplating my own mortality every single time" and i honestly put my phone down and started crying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

a distracted driver with an expired license and a traffic violation record 10 pages long drifted 6 feet over a solid white line and a rumble strip to kill one of my friends and permanently cripple another. both of them had flashing lights on their bikes visible from two miles away and highway construction-grade reflective triangles on their backs. the driver got rpobation

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

i do

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

indigi posted:

drivers are dumb for sure but I’ve seen far more bikers drive directly into a stationary object and wipe out so idk if they’re any better

yeah cyclists can be clumsy but nothing is built for them. imagine you're left-handed and trying to make your way in a world that is built for righties.

and there are loving righties everywhere and they are extremely aggressive and they move loving fast. sometimes a righty will see a lefty and say "hey gently caress you lefty human being" and sometimes a righty won't see a lefty and then vaporize all of their internal organs.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

i say swears online posted:

more car drivers should smoke cigarettes, i drive everywhere with the windows down and i feel a lot more aware with better vision

you are blasting your lungs with combustion particulate with the windows down and statistically you are going to die earlier and more unpleasantly

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

the bitcoin of weed posted:

most of the US gets this 3-6 months out of the year involuntarily and doesn't even get a nice buzz to go along with it, you might as well have a nice cig

no by all means, enjoy your smokes. roll your window up tho

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/c-change/news/fossil-fuel-air-pollution-responsible-for-1-in-5-deaths-worldwide/

quote:

New research from Harvard University, in collaboration with the University of Birmingham, the University of Leicester and University College London, found that more than 8 million people died in 2018 from fossil fuel pollution, significantly higher than previous research suggested—meaning that air pollution from burning fossil fuels like coal and diesel was responsible for about 1 in 5 deaths worldwide.

gay_crimes posted:

Highways are super hosed. I've known "car bad" for a while, suburban sprawl is devastating the biosphere, but the local pollution impact I understood was vague and unclear. I started digging in more and recently learned how about terrible ultrafine particles are, and how you're breathing that poo poo any time you're driving or within 300m of a highway. And if you're in an area with nocturnal surface inversions, like LA or Salt Lake City, you're getting extra hosed, because the extent of the pollution plume greatly extends extends at night and can't disperse normally, resulting in plumes extending up to 3000m if you happen to be down wind of the highway or major road. You breathe that in all night, and it easily gets indoors, and most filtering systems won't capture it.

Also, do not live near airports, especially if you're within 5-10 miles downwind of the airport depending on the prevailing winds of your area.

Don't jog in the nice, brisk morning.

Always recirculate air in your car when you drive, the air you breathe is pure poison on the highway but recirculating cuts it down to 20%, which is still terrible but not as bad. Major roads have these problems as well, depending on the car throughput per day, if you live near an intersection, on a hill, anything that would cause cars to accelerate or brake harder.

Truly awful stuff, and it's invisible! Makes me reflect on extended periods of time I've lived close to highways and major roads and would get headaches and regularly had irritated sinuses and breathing issues that resolved after moving. Or my grandparent who lived within 500ft of a highway and a mile downwind from the airport who died young from cancer. Or a person I know with asthma who grew up near a busy road and close to an oil refinery. Dated someone who had a sibling with autism and multiple different types of psychoses, their childhood home was within 1000ft of a highway and downwind from an airforce base. Fuckin everyone near or inside cities is getting poisoned with this poo poo and it slowly cooks you over time. You could go move out into the wilderness or a sparsely populated area, but global warming will still get you there, and you're more likely to die from something stupid and random like appendicitis because you're far away from services. A lot of people here probably know this stuff already, but I don't think it's common knowledge.

gently caress cars

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/es5001566

quote:

We measured the spatial pattern of particle number (PN) concentrations downwind from the Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) with an instrumented vehicle that enabled us to cover larger areas than allowed by traditional stationary measurements. LAX emissions adversely impacted air quality much farther than reported in previous airport studies. We measured at least a 2-fold increase in PN concentrations over unimpacted baseline PN concentrations during most hours of the day in an area of about 60 km2 that extended to 16 km (10 miles) downwind and a 4- to 5-fold increase to 8–10 km (5–6 miles) downwind. Locations of maximum PN concentrations were aligned to eastern, downwind jet trajectories during prevailing westerly winds and to 8 km downwind concentrations exceeded 75 000 particles/cm3, more than the average freeway PN concentration in Los Angeles. During infrequent northerly winds, the impact area remained large but shifted to south of the airport. The freeway length that would cause an impact equivalent to that measured in this study (i.e., PN concentration increases weighted by the area impacted) was estimated to be 280–790 km. The total freeway length in Los Angeles is 1500 km. These results suggest that airport emissions are a major source of PN in Los Angeles that are of the same general magnitude as the entire urban freeway network. They also indicate that the air quality impact areas of major airports may have been seriously underestimated.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

actionjackson posted:

thank you for the link, i wanted to pay my respects and also buy a $75 jets polo shirt

but you repeat yourself?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

but it gets me to work on time so it's impossible to say if it's bad or not

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

actionjackson posted:

congrats to the Squamish on becoming landlords

wow, units offered at market rate. transgressive

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

e: i'm an idiot

God Hole has issued a correction as of 06:23 on Oct 20, 2021

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

e: i'm an idiot

God Hole has issued a correction as of 06:24 on Oct 20, 2021

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

i can't find it but years back when i was fresh out of undergrad, i saw a single tweet that made my daily life from that point forward completely unbearable by bringing a substantial portion of it horrifically into focus. it went something like

"ah, another day of work! time to sit in my office chair all day before hopping in my car chair to get back to my house chair"

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

today this guy unexpectedly peeled out of his on-street parking spot without looking as i was riding along in the bike lane. if i had been even a bit distracted when he did that, i would be in the hospital right now. i don't know if he even saw me at any point during this event, just completely unaware of the person he almost maimed with his 3000-pound weapon.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

e-bikers still have a car heart, and will readily come to the assistance of their motorist brethren the second one of them decides to mist the crowd at the bus stop with your blood

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

1. i hate ebikes and ebikers
2. i cannot refute their utility as a transit option

???

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

huh wonder why a professional culture came about that disdains anybody with a droplet of sweat on their brow

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

*my date meets me outside the restaurant, their flushed face beaming at me as their toned muscles glisten under the moonlight*

"ugh repulsive!!"

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

indigi posted:

this isn’t the kink thread

Dolphin posted:

when you ride a bicycle is the seat visible

these tubby fops have to ask for the powder room as soon as they walk into the olive garden cuz the walk from the parking lot was too brutal they gotta freshen up

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

c'mon man

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

flexposts are hilarious because they do literally nothing to prevent car murder but will definitely cause a person on a bike to crash

they're great if you like to murder to a beat

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Lastgirl posted:

reverse skylift y/n?

the tumbler? oh you wouldn't be interested in that mister wayne

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Sorry, a driver obliterated a motorcyclist.

that's it, we need to make motorcycles louder

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

it used to be that you could get robbed by any old independent entrepreneur. now it's just the one conglomerate monopolizing highway robbery

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

che loved cycling and could apparently do it endlessly in spite of his asthma

idk that's kinda ableist right?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Riding on flat ground is pleasant and relaxing. Riding on constant hills is like screaming and fighting the entire way.

one must imagine the cyclist happy

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

i don't really fear death. in some respects, i may actually welcome it? but good loving god i am terrified of one day being killed in the most stupid way imaginable: by a distracted idiot who's gonna panic and drive away leaving me bleeding out in the gutter alone by an autonomous vehicle whose imaging software thought i was an on-ramp and will have its gps record quietly erased later by some low-level nerd at tesla

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

my 2010 hyundai was in the shop for a bit, so i rented a car in order to get around. it just so happened that the 2020 model of my car was available, so i figured i would drive in luxury for a bit and see what bells and whistles they had added to my ride in the intervening years.

i hated it! everything is electronic now and half the interface is through touch screens that hosed up my night vision and forced me to keep looking back at the dashboard in order to do the most mundane poo poo like turn the bass down.

the suspension was also wayy too smooth. i couldn't tactilely recognize my neighborhood road at all, the suspension perfectly absorbed every bump and rock in the road that i would've normally felt. it was indeed a smooth ride, but a lot of information that i was passively taking in while driving has been completely engineered away. on the highway i felt like i was getting the beginning stages of vertigo, as if i was just playing an immersive VR game rather than operating a vehicle at deadly speeds. i probably sound like a crotchety old man, but cars shouldn't be this smooth. you should know in your bones that you're interacting with a machine in physical space and it should be continually reminding you of that, not providing you the perfect conditions in which to peacefully fall asleep.

all cars must be destroyed.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNrnwTvNJSQ

welcome to lead town

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

zegermans posted:

I goad my coworkers about this all the time, they just shrug and tell me these trucks have sensors everywhere that beep at you if you're about to annihilate an entire family

yeah and they're going off all the loving time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alarm_fatigue

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

'overlanders' and people with lifted trucks explaining why their oversized vehicles are absolutely necessary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh6RLOF3FrE

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

seeing a lot of videos of cyclists who don't seem to know the real purpose of a U-lock? (drive-by property destruction)

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

today: corn on the tracks
tomorrow: deer heads on the tracks

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

i am going to start writing a horror movie script about a vigilante similar in style to Jigsaw who selects the house of motorists at random every night and recreates the opening scene of Midsommar. the only way to prevent a visit from the Die-oxide man is to destroy your car

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Suplex Liberace posted:

Deck myself out in football gear and punish cars in the bike lane with my body and physics.

if you ever get bored during your commute, a good way to kill time is to practice removing your u-lock from its frame holster while riding

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

okay but push the strollers around and instead of dodging it out of the way of a dangerous passer let them hit it and maybe they will feel something

except fill it with bricks

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

pointsofdata posted:

I saw someone posting a picture of the beautiful nature around that picture and saying it's actually not as bad as it looks???

ah yes, the area so beautiful that a substantial portion of the apocalypse movie The Road was filmed there

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

i was in the peace corps when the pandemic hit, got evacuated from my country and stuck in some lovely hotel in a DC suburb with all the other volunteers i was in country with. only things around were fast food joints, but sit in dining was closed at all of them. we had just gotten off a plane so none of us had cars, so while we were in a holding pattern waiting for our chartered flights back home, the only way we could eat outside of continental breakfast was to call ubers to take us through the taco bell drive thru

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

i tend to avoid going into convenience stores that don't have bollards in the front because the schadenfreude thread has convinced me every store is just a future parking spot for some old gently caress who mistook the gas pedal for the brake and rocketed their entire sedan through the window at 45 mph

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

*fumbles with tangled extension cord for 2 minutes*

this is loving ridiculous how can i be expected to manicure the ecological desert in front of my house like this? someone get me a two-stroke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Nocturtle posted:

Of course this is just getting back to the main complaint that cars ruined every city built after they became popular and many pre-existing ones too.

city fatally struck by vehicle