Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

so much faster to actually go into a restaurant vs drive through like 95% of the time it feels like, plus their ac keeps you cool rather than wasting your cars gas sitting there like an rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

here is a great essay about why cars are bad and why we gotta get rid of em: http://unevenearth.org/2018/08/the-social-ideology-of-the-motorcar/

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i think its going to be a good thread

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

zegermans posted:

I remember watching a video that was celebrating 50 years of the NTSB by having a modern Malibu utterly annihilate a 50s Bel Air in a 40MPH crash and all the comments were talking about how it was a shame such a nice car had to be destroyed lmao

lol i love that video too because if you tell people the premise like 90% of them will be like "oh yeah the old car would utterly destroy the new one, they built those things out of steel, like tanks, not bitch rear end plastic like today's cars" :psyduck:

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

numtots more like lib...tots

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i hate when im on the bus and it starts raining in there

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

mawarannahr posted:

ok but what if cars caused them to have dementia and be disabled

ps, we should hard cap speed limits to 40. if you disagree you’re suicidal and need therapy, imo

https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/new-crash-tests-show-modest-speed-increases-can-have-deadly-consequences

it is completely insane how fast people drive even in residential areas. like i go for walks with my kid sometimes (pushing him in a stroller, and walking in the street because we don't have any sidewalks here lol) and people will go zooming past at like 30 mph. and again this is a residential street that's barely wide enough for two cars to pass each other, not exactly a stroad. you would think seeing someone pushing a stroller would cause people to slow down, but no.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

goodnight mooned posted:

I never saw old people so free as in Holland watching 80+ year olds cruise around in the bike lanes on their mobility scooters. The whole city is open to them and nobody blinks an eye.

yeah the coming epidemic of baby boomers trapped in their homes because theyve aged out of driving safely is frightening to think about. well, more frightening is going to be the epidemic of baby boomers who have aged out of being able to drive safely but still driving and killing a bunch of other people.

my retirement plan is also to move to a city (in the US so lol theres like two or three choices) where its possible to live without a car. gonna be fun!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

raspurtin posted:

The internal combustion engine is the single most destructive invention in human history. We need to work to eliminate it immediately, at all costs. Here’s a recommended approach:

Phase 1 – get rid of all 2-stroke engines. All of them, in the next 3 years. gently caress your dirt bike, get a real hobby. and gently caress the leaf blowers.

Phase 2 – all personal vehicles, no ICEs. Within 5 years. If you need a car/motorcycle you can buy an electric one. This includes antiques/collectors, no exceptions, no grandfather clauses. gently caress your Model-T, gently caress your GT whatever. Put an electric motor in it.

Phase 3 – commercial road vehicles. 10 years out. By then we should have solutions for electric truck motors, and hopefully more local production and less required transport overall.

Phase 4 – trains/shipping. Convert them over to hydrogen or some other carbon neutral fuel if you have to. Nuclear vessels.

Hopefully within the next 30 years the planet will be completely ICE-free. God knows the poles will be.

this but unironically

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

part of getting rid of cars means fixing our cities and public transit systems not just everythign else stays the same but you're trapped in a subdivision where its like 5 miles to get to anything that isnt another house

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i would rather just have 400k thanks

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i choose to spend my 400k on a gaming rig and home gym equipment

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

its a moot point now since i work from home :woop: but i remember checking to see if i could even take public transport to work. turns out a bus could drop me off about 1.5 miles from the office... right onto a stroad where the speed limit is 45 and people routinely get up to 60+, and also there are no sidewalks. not really safe to walk, and extremely unsafe to cycle. it would be extremely cool if public transport was better, oh well, whatcha gonna do, better things just arent possible.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

lol yeah that too driving would take ~25 minutes, the bus would take more than an hour plus however long it would then take to travel the final 1.5 miles on foot or by bike.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

tbf bucees are usually like rest stops along the interstate, not like these gigantic things are in the relatively dense urban parts of texas

although i was really excited earlier this year because a lovely condemned building got knocked down in my area and i was hoping for something cool to go there but its just a drat gas station (normal sized) :hotpickle:

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Milo and POTUS posted:

Why would you assume that? Anything that's getting built anymore is an ugly piece of poo poo

well a bar or restaurant or shop or townhomes or a small apartment building or basically anything other than more fuckin car infrastructure would have been better.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

lol somebody on my city's nextdoor made a big post complaining about getting parking tickets for blocking the sidewalk with their car. this is what car brain poisoning looks like, where not only do you demand transport infrastructure cater to you, but even that the minimal alternate ways of getting around be subordinated. and like seriously there are a ton of neighborhoods in this city that don't even have sidewalks lol

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

have we talked itt about how bull bars on trucks that city and suburb use as daily drivers that are never taken off highways and city/suburban streets, are bad? literally all they do is make the truck more deadly to other cars and to pedestrians. they should not be street legal, in my opinion. get em outta here!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's the ostensible purpose anyway

keeps the truck and its occupants safe while offroading, if you hit a tree or a gigantic animal, stuff like that. which is why they shouldnt be street legal! if you want to drive through the woods on your ranch then fine, have fun with your bull bar. you should absolutely not be able to have it on public roads.

when i was at the grocery store today (i live in the urban core of houston lol so not rural or even suburban) and i walked by this fuckin f150 with a bull bar that was like extending outwards about six inches and coming to almost a point. like the driver wanted to spear pedestrians or something. totally insane. usa bad country.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

ate cars
ate drivers
ate parking lots

love trains
love trams
love buses

simple as

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

vyelkin posted:

apparently people who actually need them for work just buy used pickups from the 90s because they're way more utilitarian than the monstrous tanks american car companies have been churning out since 9/11

yeah it rules that 90s trucks can still be insanely expensive on the secondary market because they are in high demand from people who need them for work

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

a truck carrying a wind turbine blade, should also be f tier on this list of how cool it would be to see various trucks getting blasted by trains

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

cycling is a great way to get around imo

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

it's very funny how on my city's subreddit like half the posts are about bad, aggressive, dangerous driving but any suggestions that people just drive the speed limit, or that it perhaps should be lowered in residential areas.... downvoted away.

then again i remember reading somewhere that some large majority of americans think they are above average drivers, so, makes sense.

we gotta get rid of these drat cars!!!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

doesn't using a two stroke leaf blower for half an hour create as many emissions as driving like 300 miles or something insane like that

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

zone systems are also confusing and make it harder to use. just charge per trip you assholes!!!!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

its also very funny that terminally corrupt russia could even continue building new metro stations in moscow and st petersburg during the 90s economic and social collapse but this capability is beyond american cities

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

sat on my keys! posted:

make transit free :twisted:

oh yeah tahts the stuff

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my kids first word which he just said this week is car so this is a pro car account now sorry everyone

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the dumb pseudoleft populist take is that we cant get rid of cars or do anything like that because poor people need to drive to work, but it turns out that de facto requiring car ownership is an enormous financial burden. the poorest income quintile spends close to 30% of its money on transportation!

https://twitter.com/nateaff/status/1438720281732734979

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

they're bad

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

also blame police officers, judges, and juries who are all mostly drivers and thus dont want to punish anyone for what they see as an "honest mistake" that they too could make

it really is legal to murder someone with your car lol

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i say swears online posted:

modern light rail sucks so bad. austin's line is an absolute joke

i took the light rail in houston to go to a baseball game yesterday

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

if the fiat 500 doesnt exist anymore then i think its good for that reason, all cars should be that way

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

that isnt a tank it looks liek a dang btr you utter fools, you cretins

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

AnimeIsTrash posted:

it looks like a tank to me, bitch

turn on your monitor

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

https://twitter.com/mims/status/1440007057873248260

it rules that we are trying to get people back into the office now, even setting aside the deadly pandemic that is worse than it has ever been

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the duke boys are cancelled b ecause of the confederate flag on their car, thats the rules sorry

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Buck Wildman posted:

the south will ramp again

im from texas and i wont let them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

congestion pricing is good and they should do it