Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I have been cutting through my office building's parking garage (built 1960, very narrow) to get to lunch and with all of the renovations going on in the building it is crammed full of massive pickup trucks that are all parked with the side mirrors 1-2 inches from each other. I think the drivers must be climbing in and out through the back windows.

withak has issued a correction as of 16:46 on Nov 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

God Hole posted:

https://twitter.com/siropsalot/status/1458882991795675147?s=21

nothing means anything. car culture is built upon a foundation of sand

I think if you operate your horse at 15HP then it will die pretty quick. If you want to keep using your horse for a while then you need to limit it to 1HP.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pryor on Fire posted:

this is not going to help, the bike thieves are quite accustomed to these and airtags and just chop the bike up immediately. even if you convince the police to come help you recover a stolen bike down by the river (police do not waste resources on stolen bikes around here, they just laugh at you if you say you have a tracker and know exactly who stole it), the new handlebar owner will claim he just bought it and refuse to cooperate and the police will do nothing

If you have a not valuable bike and make it difficult to chop with locking wheel lugs and a locking nut on the handlebar they will leave your bike alone because cutting or drilling those out takes all day and is not worth it

Yeah this seems like a good gadget to have if you are interested in fighting an entire encampment to get your bike back.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

I didn't know there was some kind of live-action GTA thing in the works.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is always someone panicking and mashing the accelerator instead of the brake. Even if the car is stuck at full throttle for some reason the brakes will always win. It isn’t even close, the engine at full throttle only slightly increases stopping distance. Anyone who says their accelerator was stuck and they weren’t able to stop was not actually hitting the brake.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
A housing massacre: https://www.instagram.com/p/CWbOT1PN1Lg/

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The only moral car is my car.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Pregnant librarian with road rage is my new fetish.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Red light cameras are tricky because the companies contracted to run them like to speed up the timing to encourage drivers to race the yellow lights and increase ticket revenue while decreasing safety.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

pointsofdata posted:

you'd have to try insanely hard to make camera ticket issuance as racist as cop issuance.

Wait'll you see my new algorithm.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

AnimeIsTrash posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFUTSsLobnI

How come all you train lovers don't just build one in your backyard?

Can't afford a backyard, don't want to move to the kind of backwards shithole where backyards are cheap and plentiful.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Tell your boss you can't stay past 5 today and the other days.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Be careful with front panniers, with a bunch of mass up there your center of gravity moves more than you expect when steering.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
These speed limits will ruin my commute!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Blackhawk posted:

Some of the pedestrian crossings in Auckland have pressure plates under the footpath on either side, so when somebody steps on them to start walking across a bunch of lights both on poles either side of the road and also embedded into the road start flashing to alert cars. It's actually pretty effective, especially at night. Also if you're old as gently caress like me and listen to AM radio in the car you can hear the radio signals used to make the lights flash playing over the speakers as a high frequency tone that's in sync with the flashing.

Those are the kind that kill people in the US because drivers aren’t expecting them in the middle of the block and aren’t always sure what to do. The kind linked above that involve an actual overhead red light seem to work better because I guess it is more obvious what you are supposed to do when a normal red signal comes on compared to a bunch of flashing yellow LEDs at different places.

When the red light comes on people stop then look around to figure what just happened. With the flashing yellow LEDs they do the same but in the opposite order and may not get to the stopping step in time.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

You know the thing a reasonable person would do in an unfamiliar driving situation would be to slow down until they could figure out the nature of their surroundings. Not us though.

Gotta get to work.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you want to get yourself worked up about how bad roads are for neighborhoods then check this out:

http://iqc.ou.edu/urbanchange

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Why is there no loitering at the mall? Am I old and out of touch?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Small business owners think that every customer has to be able to park in an empty space right in front of the door like in the movies or else they won't shop.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Kids are indestructible.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
lol if you are still having to steer into pedestrians with your hands like a caveman.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Amtrack could probably get on them now if there was demand. of course they would have to pull over and stop every hour to let a shipment of refrigerators and tennis shoes pass by.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

ikanreed posted:

Farmers are pretty much the only legitimate use case for cars.

Any other kind of employment ought to be reachable by mass transit.

What about rally drivers?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

PeterCat posted:

Bicyclists should bring back puttees!

You just have to tuck your pants into your socks.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Do they make airframe parachutes for helicopters?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

pointsofdata posted:

Fewer cars? No, more death!

The sea lions have learned that dams are basically a massive salmon buffet as the salmon have to queue up to climb the fish ladders so they can get upstream to breed.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Charge people market rate for the square footage required to store their cars IMO.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is that a massive streak of gore on the road, or just random debris?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cugel the Clever posted:

A representative in my state has introduced a bill that would prohibit restaurants and the like from providing service only to car owners.
:stoked:

Let he who has not tried to go to a drive-through on foot while loaded throw the first stone.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Awey7AbXT0

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah, don't tell a car salesman you are paying cash until a price is agreed upon. They will want to charge you more for the car if they know they won't be able to take any extra money from you for financing.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The "park anywhere" lights are on so they are fine.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If I ever need to murder someone I am going to do it in broad daylight at an intersection with my car then immediately turn myself in and act sad about it. I expect to be home in time for dinner.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Can you even charge an electric car from zero to 100% overnight through a normal 110 outlet? I thought that was the limiting factor in your daily range if you don’t have place where you can hire an electrician to install a special power connection to your parking space.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
IME with oxygen tanker truck deliveries bigger trucks are considered safer because the less time that tanks of compressed oxygen spend rolling around the streets the better.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
:lol: if that isn't who you picture while reading posts in this thread.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Looks like some kind of grinder, for bikes.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Ears are however good as hell when you're a pedestrian or on a bike. Although a lot of people don't bother to use them there either. I can hear any sort of engine waaaaay before I get a visual on it.

Wait'll you hear how quite electric cars are until they get up to almost highway speeds and the tires start to make more noise. Luckily they can get up close to highway speeds on most roads!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is vitally important that I be tailgating the next car in front of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I feel like someone looking in the rearview mirror in that corvette probably has a clear view of the road behind the truck, unless they look closely enough to spot the trucknuts dangling into view at the top of the of the mirror.