Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Just visited family in San Fransisco and heard nothing but complaining about cyclists and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCer2e0t8r8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Max 20 mm A pillars
KILL EM ALL
I am lycra man
410,757,864,530 DEAD DRIVERS

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

mystes posted:

wtf why would anyone ask this
It's just a Filipino content farm

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Dog ownership is the only thing more narcissistic than car ownership

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Pedestrians are just people, and people have been lovely to me plenty of times

Pedestrians are just iPhone apps.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

webcams for christ posted:

they loving perform covert intelligence operations outside the state of New York

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Petrosino#Assassination

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

an actual frog posted:

the current fad seems to be custom exhausts and ECU mods that run the fuel injectors during lift-off overrun. Because you, too, can pretend your daily commute is a rally special stage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3CK4CyNDKY

Can you even do this with a catalytic converter still in place?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Van Moof are poo poo bikes but good on them.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Looking at cutting down car trips in the new year

I wish I wasn't too fat for a Brompton. Swedish Rail is totally anti-bike.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

This blows my drat mind.

Wait to go!

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

bike lanes with a dotted line are common in the netherlands and work fine (although obviously protected bike lanes are better) but thats because most drivers grew up cycling too (and many still cycle) and there's proper drivers education + testing

That's such a completely different thing that I'm not sure you know what a sharrow is.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Called it

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
All pedestrians always have headphones on, and, even if they can hear me, they're offended enough by me using my bell that it's against my best interests to use it.

Better to scare the crap out of them, and let them be offended and more interested in not walking on the bike path.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Mister Speaker posted:

Ontario to consider more sites for new 2+1 highway system

Lmao they're gonna try this on the 401 and it's going to kill so many drivers.

We have a street kind of like this in Toronto already, not a highway but sort of a main artery; Jarvis Street has lights running up the middle lane that indicate when it's a northbound or southbound lane. I'd like to see crash statistics around it, because literally the only time I got into that lane on the motorcycle, I saw someone driving directly towards me in it.

Here in Sweden 2+1 roads have been infrastructure cancer for rural cycling, since they're strictly car only and usually replace the routes with the most generous shoulders.

Vision Zero [cyclists]

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
All bikes without fenders and a rack are car brained.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
You try to stay on the road when you're lifted pickup drunk

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Polo-Rican posted:

these things cost like $10, take a fraction of a second to attach, and block more mud than a traditional fender. i would never buy a bike with real fenders unless i lived somewhere like the pacific northwest where it's always wet

You are American and your opinion is trash

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

lmao even an Italian's gonna blame the Milanese for being too car brained

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

CopperHound posted:

I just went to get an international driving permit today. Anything with a GVWR over 7700lbs requires a special license.

That's because literally every normal country sets the cutoff for registered weight where you have to get a CDL at 3500 kg (7700 lbs).

My summer job back in the US had me driving a 4 ton van at 15 years old :wtc:.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Real hurthling! posted:

thanks here it is in a tree earlier tonight. 9.8 kg, 1 gear (not fixed). real fun to ride and not a bitch to carry. just cant use the lower handles on the rams horns cause the brakes are only on the top bar so my shoulders kinda hurt from doing like turtle in the shell neck a little bit. should get the brake levers that cover both parts. my wife has a matching one in hot orange.

only got yelled at one time by a loser who thought i spooked his yorkies. get outta here.

Single-speeds are carbrained as hell

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
over the cyclist and through the stroads to grandmothers house we go

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Junkozeyne posted:

If you are looking for disc brakes, hydraulic disc brakes offer the most benefits except weight over rim brakes but cost $$$
Mechanical disc brakes not worth it over proper rim brakes imo

Mechanical disc brakes are totally worth it, just for the lack of brake dust. And a lot cheaper and easier to service than hydraulic.

Groda has issued a correction as of 16:01 on Jun 12, 2023

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Nuclear power owns, and the Germans only hate it because it was invented for them.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Twerk from Home posted:

Then my city made it illegal for ebikes to be on the greenways / bike paths, and they demolished all of the bike share stations that were near parks or paths, gutting the network. What's left is expensive, and only located near places with zero bike infra.

So is there anything even approaching a national definition of an ebike on a US federal level? Or is it all on the state level to decide when a powered bicycle becomes a moped/motorcycle?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Grassy Knowles posted:

my favorite sly stallone is stayin alive, it is the sequel to saturday night fever with travolta, also has redd forman as the villain. lovely saturday afternoon broadcast channel matinee film. sly directed it and is not an actor.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

better dead than fred m8

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Boywhiz88 posted:

https://twitter.com/AoDespair/status/1689301685787615233?s=20

David Simon is famous for The Wire and other series about policing etc.

So it’s very funny that he’s bitching about something where he’s objectively wrong. Sorry you were caught in a school zone. Maybe just don’t speed.
$50 fine in a school zone is insane. Here in Sweden, you're eligible for getting your license suspended.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

leftist heap posted:

cargo trailers are so underrated imo

Everyone would rather buy the pickup truck, instead of a sensible car with a trailer hitch.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Clark Nova posted:

the bike that does everything is a 90's rigid mountain bike with racks and panniers

:d2a:

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

spiritual bypass posted:

belt drive rules

Belt drive is meh

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Platystemon posted:

All bikes are good good bikes.

There are plenty of bad bikes.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
The 10 speed is the literal Hitler of bikes.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
If you use your bell, you'll only hurt their pride, and they'll hate bikes.

If you don't use you're bell, they'll fear for their life and hate bikes.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Platystemon posted:

Bicycle tires are unreasonably expensive.

They’re made to lower tolerances in smaller moulds with way less material. They shouldn’t cost like half a much as a car tire.

tubulars are extremely carbrained

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Grassy Knowles posted:

everything they said plus
- if a coaster brake fails your entire braking mechanism is gone if a handle brake fails you still have another 2-3 pads to rely upon.
- maintenance is far easier when that failure occurs which means higher availability for bicycles in the system

This is dumb because you are American

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
I've just realized that you usually pass a car parked in the bike lane on the driver side.

And that spit in the middle of the driver's window is pretty unmistakable, and has to be cleaned by hand.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

caught the very next day if you scroll down further

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/teen-accused-intentionally-hitting-3-cyclists-killing-one-huntington-b-rcna104987

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
I was cycling behind an adult cycling course near my house, and a car was driving on the bike / pedestrian path like 400 m from the nearest road he could legally be on.

The students took up the whole drat path and were swerving everywhere like yellowjackets, and -- while the car was at a complete stop on the bike path, waiting for all of them -- one of the students smacked WHAM right into the driver's door.

The student was unharmed, the car was not, and the sound was soooo satisfying. The guy didn't even stop or get out. He just drove off with his little lesson.

Groda has issued a correction as of 20:19 on Sep 14, 2023

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Saw a mom in Groningen do that with two kids on a upright city bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
https://www.facebook.com/duicheckpointalerts/posts/pfbid02Sdnox6BtChm7FA2iSMzBhA8u4ERSXGEdFNE7pSTvr9vWXJNwgFJFbY64h9nh6ESgl

I just don't even know...

Only registered members can see post attachments!