Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's me, I hate cars. I drive my car maybe once a week on average. I walk, bike, or take the bus otherwise. And I don't even live in a real city.

We need an urbanism thread too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/kevinverhoff/status/1439942266118885377?s=20

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

docbeard posted:

Every pedestrian: YES WE KNOW

lol

Every day I commute by bike I get to decide which group I'm going to annoy: the drivers late for work or the pedestrians with their earbuds in who stick to the middle of the multi-use path.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

A scooterer has never done me wrong

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

actionjackson posted:

I walked to work for years and gently caress bicyclists who ride on sidewalks

walk crew > bike crew

hmm, maybe gently caress drivers who make streets unsafe for bikes

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The only bikes I ever see on sidewalks (not multi-use paths) are obviously pretty unsteady and new to bikes. They'd be risking their lives on the street, so I forgive them. I'm only on the street for a few minutes and still have frequent close calls with trucks because they're all driven by psychopaths.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

to drive this point home - a cyclist and their bike weighing a combined 200 lb hauling rear end at 40 km/h has a kinetic energy of ~5.5 KJ, a 3000 lb car crawling at parking lot speeds of 20 km/h has a kinetic energy of almost 6 times that at ~29 KJ.

a brand new f150 speeding at 80 km/h in a 50 has ~561 KJ of energy

to me, this is like describing the brightness of flashlights in terms of "candles"

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

actionjackson posted:

cars are absolutely the problem, but that doesn't mean cyclists are loving perfect angels

some of them clearly have a death wish, however given the world we are living in maybe that's reasonable

That's just people being people tho. Cars are a big honking systemic problem.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

if i'm gonna make a thread it'll be about landlords

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

indigi posted:

bicyclists only make it more unsafe for themselves when they ignore signaling and red lights but w/e, die mad

I'm probably more dogmatic about following traffic rules than most people on bikes, but the infrastructure simply isn't built for non-cars, so it's very frustrating. For example, there's bumper-to-bumper traffic on the main street outside my neighborhood every morning. Not a single gap. You'd sit there forever if you were going to follow traffic laws. In my car I can just force my way into the line because at least I'll live if something goes wrong. I can't do that on a bike (I might die), so I take the sidewalk down to a crosswalk where I can wait for the walk signal to give me enough of a gap to hop onto the street. My bike also doesn't trigger some of our traffic lights, so I have to run them.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Leroy Diplowski posted:

So if I'm reading this right the thread consensus is ban cars and give every pedestrian a bicycle so there are only cyclists. If you have no legs you get a handbike and if you have no arms or legs I'll cart you around in a pedicab.

Also only the BMX punks around here blast their Bluetooth speakers from their bikes but it's so obnoxious that I actually love it. Society has utterly failed these children and their only recourse is to make a complete nuisance of themselves rolling around poisoning the air with mumble rap and Billie eilish. Anyone who tells them to stop has to reckon with me.

Microcars for the elderly and disabled are ok imo

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/repkord/status/1440908464625106946?s=20

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/fawfulfan/status/1440364368793718786?s=20

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm only familiar with recent rail proposals for the Southeast, but it's funny that he left out the most common one for an Atlanta-Charlotte line. Just more dumb car brain.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

American visiting any city with decent transportation infrastructure: "Oh it was wonderful. We took the trolleys/trains/buses everywhere and walked all over the city. Everything was accessible from our hotel room downtown."
American returning home to their suburb: "Vote NO on the new rail proposal that would bring crime to our community, wouldn't see enough ridership to turn a profit, and would drain our city's finances."

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Amazing how the biggest barriers to change & progress can be totally imaginary

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

https://twitter.com/aashtospeaks/status/1161699516673925121

wow yes this poo poo is great, love that we destroyed our cities to build these things

Why are the lanes on the bridge backwards

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

the bitcoin of weed posted:

The Netherlands in particular was on track to surpass the US in deaths caused by automobiles a few decades back but then some environmentalists and people whose kids had been hit and killed by cars started a movement literally called "Stop Killing Children" to pressure the government to rebuild their cities with fewer cars, and it loving worked. The difference here is we openly do not care when children are killed

e: further reading https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2015/may/05/amsterdam-bicycle-capital-world-transport-cycling-kindermoord

Well we got MADD for similar reasons, but being america we mostly just made it a pain to drink alcohol.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

We're pushing for both of those, so

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I have to jaywalk across the same little in-town street several times a day because there's a mile between the lights/crosswalks and my destination is directly across the street, but anyway, today I watched a big chemical truck nearly flatten the car in front of it right next to me, and then later an F150 road-raged into oncoming traffic so that he could get in front of the car he'd been behind. He then stopped completely and got out to yell at the driver of the car. Both of these were right before/after I crossed on foot.

On the same street a month ago two drivers demolished two telephone poles in the span of a week, in addition to the car that drove directly into my neighbor's living room. The speed limit is 35!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

this is my neighbor's house

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

Grrrr.... maybe they should start FOLLOWING the RULES of the ROAD

is this a quote from r/idiotsincars

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

its me whining about bicyclists always existing and causing all these problems

it's a funny subreddit because that's all anyone ever says

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

vyelkin posted:

please donot sully this obeautiful thread about hating cars with the latest cspam forums drama

thisthread is for posting about hatinc cars

here u go

https://nypost.com/2021/09/28/93-year-old-harley-rider-killed-when-bike-collided-with-car/

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1442972456625397771?s=20

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Scooters are wonderful, but they're terrible wrt emissions. We need more efficient scooters.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Loucks posted:

We have efficient scooters. They’re called bikes. You can even get an electric motor for them if you’re lazy.

I know, but actual scooters.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/BrentToderian/status/1442159658244837381?s=20

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Loucks posted:

Two stroke engines are bad though.

I guess you could stick an electric motor on a scooter, but then you just have an extremely heavy bike so you need way more battery to go the same distance and speed.

How about you get a picture of a scooter to look at when you’re or doing your efficient, non polluting bike around?

e: I just remembered that some scooters have four stroke engines which does not undermine my point in any way.

I've just noticed how ubiquitous scooters are in poorer countries because they're cheap and common (easier to repair, replace, etc.). It's going to be a while before ebikes break out of that luxury mold, so it might be easier to get more efficient scooter parts out there in the meantime. It's not really ideal obviously.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Blockade posted:

Kind of ironic that in America you need to live close to busy traffic to drive yourself less.

I like being able to walk everywhere and have dependable public transportation and rail near me.

Do not like living right next to roads with cars on them.

I tell myself I walk to work because it's a good time for fresh air, sunshine, and mental reflection (and it is outside of commuting times) but the reality is that I'm getting buzzed by F150s and Suburbans the entire time.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Do rubber fumes from tires count as plant particulates

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My grocery store has four different sections of salsa spread across the store. There might even be another. It's the most pointless kind of excess, and I enjoy shopping at the little corner Asian grocer much more.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

LonsomeSon posted:

if you do that how are people going to be able to buy food and goods, they’re all on the trams now

Grocery shopping in America is such a pain. People buy in bulk because they're overworked with no time and because every grocery trip is an across-town ordeal. Stopping by the corner store to pick up a few things is bliss and much easier to do on transit than our typical once-weekly Costco trips.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

mistermojo posted:

my coworkers genuinely like Costco and going to Costco. it's insane

We're "finally" getting a Costco here, and people are loving pumped. The city rolled out the announcement like they'd discovered buried treasure. Of course the city's also giving them massive tax breaks and free infrastructure, but COSTCO.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/csymrl/status/1443341342046883846?s=20

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I want to be Squamish now

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/grescoe/status/1443638526482989062?s=20

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Sphyre posted:

this is what indigi wants to take from you

gently caress that's bucolic

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

No one dreams anymore. It's ambitious now to beg for scraps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Getting the oil changed in my wife's car because she still drives every day :(