Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Splitgate "is a free-to-play, fast-paced multiplayer shooter that features player-controlled portals. This sci-fi shooter takes the FPS genre to a new dimension with its portal mechanics, delivering high-flying, multi-dimensional combat."

Platforms: Steam, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5

Seriously this game is the poo poo, it really brings back the feeling of playing something completely fresh and awesome just on the strength of its innovative gameplay. It owns.

Splitgate was in Early Access for like 2 years and nobody (me) knew about it until its free beta released like 10 days ago and then it loving exploded and for good reason. This also means that there are not enough servers for the ammount of players that want to play it. You may have to wait to connect depending when you play YMMV

Anyways, in addition to shooting the usual guns you get a constant immediate infinite access (no cooldowns or other dumb poo poo like that) to a portal gun straight out of Valve's Portal that in the default WSAD control scheme schoots one portal with Q and the other E not interfering with your shooting habits.

You may open portals on designated surfaces (walls covered in blue net in the screenshots) that every map has plenty of which gives you a lot of new tactical capabilities:
- create portals that connect one part of the map with another and exploit that
- teleport to the back of enemy lines
- cover your flanks/back by having portals placed around you
- shoot at enemies through strategically placed portals
- escape ambushes through the loving walls whenever you want
- get the jump on unsuspecting enemies by teleporting from the ceiling (on maps where it's possible)
- snipe enemies from the ceiling/floor
- trick the gently caress out of the enemies with even more mindfucking strategies once you get a hold of how this poo poo works

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft54XIZYGaE

It's a game changer, it owns.

Your double jump activates a jetpack when you hold down the jump button because why the hell not, game owns.

The game has a leveling system that is mainly used to gate more advanced game modes from pubbies.

There are microtransactions and weapon skin lootboxes in the game. All of it is cosmetic, you don't need to pay for anything in order to play.

My referal code: E9NUDU (you can put it in the reward center if you want. I'll probably get some dragon penis rifle skin for it or some poo poo)

Still don't know what the hell I'm talking about? Watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoPj3K_PFVU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkwurBIrWgk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlrWAHADLHk

Weapons (more detailed section coming soon):

Bat - melee
Pistol
SMG
Shotgun
Assault Rifle
Battle Rifle
Plasma Rifle
Carbine
Sniper
Rail Gun
Rocket Launcher

Game modes (more detailed descriptions coming soon):

Ranked
-2v2 [2v2 Tuesdays Only]
-Competitive Play
-Free For All [Re-Ignited for FFA Fridays]

Casual
-Team Deathmatch
-King of the Hill
-Domination
-Capture the Flag
-Teabag Confirmed
-Team SWAT
-Team Oddball
-Team Shotty Snipers

Training
-Race
-Practice Range
-Tutorial

Useful links:

https://www.splitgate.com/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/677620
https://splitgate.fandom.com/wiki/Splitgate:_Arena_Warfare_Wiki

Palpek fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
I'd love to talk about Splitgate but i haven't played in weeks because they're always at capacity.

almost none of the things I'm actually looking for in a shooter are present in here, but it borrowed it's core playstyle from the best and works well. Its definitely fun enough to kill any given hour on.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Rockstar Massacre posted:

I'd love to talk about Splitgate but i haven't played in weeks because they're always at capacity.

almost none of the things I'm actually looking for in a shooter are present in here, but it borrowed it's core playstyle from the best and works well. Its definitely fun enough to kill any given hour on.

They've been slowly onlining new servers to cope with the huge playercount increase. Their official discord manages to display the current login queue length (10 minutes right now, though it was at 0 last time I checked yesterday), though I hope they'll add a feature to display that info in the actual game.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rockstar Massacre posted:

the capacity issue is fixed for the most part. its around a 5 min queue now

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
anyway im down to play with people unranked or ranked

im currently stuck at plat 1 on ranked because solo queuing has not been kind to me

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

This game has some of the most in-the-zone moments I've had in a long time. Basically if you're not thinking with portals all the time then you're cannon fodder, you can just run in circles around players who don't use portals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yj3QF4hh2o&t=21s

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

this game kicks an amazing amount of rear end

the railgun feels very hard to use for the value but other than that i've no complaints yet

i'm still in the chump early matches and it's kinda funny running total circles around everyone even at my mediocre skills; it won't last, but still :v:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

A lot of people seem to be using typical multiplayer tactics and forgetting that they don't work at all with portals. Like faking retreating and turning around the corner to kill you - dude, there's a portal above your head that I'm killing you from at that point. Or chasing after you trying to finish you off once you're wounded - dude, there was a portal placed behind you all along so now you're the one getting shot in the back. It's great how this portal thing destroys known bottlenecks in the genre and the game stays awesome because of it.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Can't wait for this game to be ruined by hackers, as is the fate of all smaller budget multiplayer games

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Palpek posted:

A lot of people seem to be using typical multiplayer tactics and forgetting that they don't work at all with portals. Like faking retreating and turning around the corner to kill you - dude, there's a portal above your head that I'm killing you from at that point. Or chasing after you trying to finish you off once you're wounded - dude, there was a portal placed behind you all along so now you're the one getting shot in the back. It's great how this portal thing destroys known bottlenecks in the genre and the game stays awesome because of it.

my favorite is running at low health, dropping a portal, running around a corner to drop a second portal and then killing my pursuer from behind

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

wow this game rocks

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Palpek posted:

This game has some of the most in-the-zone moments I've had in a long time. Basically if you're not thinking with portals all the time then you're cannon fodder, you can just run in circles around players who don't use portals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yj3QF4hh2o&t=21s

You don't even have to think.
Just whenever you don't know what to do, stick a portal somewhere arbitrary and pop through it.
You'll throw off people trying to come at you from behind, you'll move in unexpected ways and possibly take some enemies by surprise... it's all upsides!
Except when you're playing oddball/VIP and you're teleporting 10 miles away from the teammate with the objective.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Very fun game. How come nobody made this years ago? I'm glad they didn't, because I wasn't playing games back then. Is anybody else having trouble turning around fast enough? My controller is set at maximum sensitivity in steam and in the game. My mouse is also too slow, also set at max sensitivity in game. I can change mouse sensitivity in windows... can I change base contoller sensitivity in the same way? I know I'll never be good playing with a controller, but keyboard is so awkward for me. I want to play with a... piano keyboard as my input

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't use a controller, but I think you can definitely be good with a controller. The aim assist is pretty reasonable in this game.

As far as your mouse being slow....is your DPI on the mouse low? You might turn that up. In game sensitivity is only part of the formula on that!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This game slaps, thanks for posting about it in the stream thread a bunch Palpek.

My only complaint so far is that it seems like level 10 is quite a ways to go for unlocking additional modes. I assume that’s some kind of beta thing.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I'm happy that I made you aware of this game. I'm a bit disappointed with how few goons are playing it though, it seemed like there was a lot of interest in different threads but this one hasn't taken off yet.

When it comes to leveling - 10 is not that bad, you'll hit it sooner than you think, especially if you do the daily challenges.

One thing that iritates me in the game is hunting down all the level ups and unlocks in different menus that you have to scroll, there should be a place where all the notifications are on one page or something.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Game's cool, I just said the same thing in the steam thread but I think this works so well because the mechanics weren't half-assed at all. The portal stuff works the way you expect it to if you've ever played Portal and the movement and the gunplay feels like halo (with a jetpack I guess). The rumblings about this game reminds me of early PUBG days where there are a lot of people playing it but it hasn't exploded yet. I think if they can get rid of the queues and get some big people playing this on twitch this could be poised to really take off.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Ok so I thought my level was actually my BR level. That explains the 10 level req, this wasn’t so bad.

The additional modes are really cool. Showdown in particular is a blast, I’d love to play this with some folks on comms.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

I'd been hearing about this on and off for a bit; downloaded it last night on my PS5.

The thing that most surprised me is how accessible it is. (Maybe because it's still so new) I was able to jump into a few games, and the average players seemed fine - most games were pretty close. Gunplay is pretty satisfying, feeling a lot like Destiny. (I haven't played Halo in forever, but I see the comparisons there, too.) I'm sure it's toxic AF in ranked, but maybe the player base is still small enough that it's not awful. (Also, it's not a battle royale, so maybe the jerks from Fortnite or Apex won't be there, but it's team-based, so I'm sure the jerks from LoL and Rocket League will be.)

Portals are neat; I need a lot more practice in doing anything interesting with them. (I can't keep track of which portal is my "left" and which is my "right" so I can't really get any sort of interesting chains going or anything.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

no matter how many times i do it, putting a portal behind someone and giving them a Nothing Personnel Kid makes me feel like a galaxy brain genius

showdown makes me Mad At Video Games in that terrible perfectionist/competitive-streak way so I gotta go easy on playing that, but most of the rest still feel good to play even when i'm bunging it up

(e) One In The Chamber is one of my favorite modes if only because of the number of mutual melee kills when you both miss your shot

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
It feels pretty weird that all the unranked modes start you off with carbine + assault rifle (unless they have mode-specific loadouts) but then ranked is carbine + pistol. I don't think I even saw a pistol outside the tutorial before I unlocked ranked.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i like the teabagging mode

also even the battle pass will level quickly once you start beating 3k and 10k xp challenges, mine maxed out once I hit level 25 or so

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

CellBlock posted:

The thing that most surprised me is how accessible it is. (Maybe because it's still so new) I was able to jump into a few games, and the average players seemed fine - most games were pretty close. Gunplay is pretty satisfying, feeling a lot like Destiny. (I haven't played Halo in forever, but I see the comparisons there, too.) I'm sure it's toxic AF in ranked, but maybe the player base is still small enough that it's not awful. (Also, it's not a battle royale, so maybe the jerks from Fortnite or Apex won't be there, but it's team-based, so I'm sure the jerks from LoL and Rocket League will be.)

People can probably still be jerks in ranked but the other day I was in a KotH match and my team was just standing on the other side of the map trying to snipe the enemy team standing in the hill, and I typed 'can you get onto the loving hill' into chat and my message was filtered to 'I love interacting with the community over at Splitgate.com!' or something, so at least they're trying to do something about it :unsmith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ok i have one complaint: VIP mode is absolutely loving stupid

"let's do a mode where 1/4 of the players at a time don't get to have fun"

glad for the filters on the gametypes, for sure

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of
VIP is alright on the more open/bigger maps (so not very many) where subverting the limited approaches for an assault is kind of fun, but most of the maps being tight corridor clusters where portals can be anywhere really makes it a chore to actually be the VIP or play defensively at all.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You can still shoot while VIP, no?

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of

Jordan7hm posted:

You can still shoot while VIP, no?

Yeah but you can't portal around and you're always highlighted. Not a big deal on Oasis, cripplingly unfun on Pantheon.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

If I end up the VIP I normally immediately try to regroup with my teammates ASAP because if I'm alone it's ambushes all dayyyy

--

Having a blast with this game! Sometimes I wish the movement speed was a tad faster to allow for more movement and portal shenanigans. As is I'm just having a blast.

Still not quite used to Portal gameplay but my ranking is low enough that this is not really an issue yet. My current portal plan is normally:
1 - On spawn, Portal nearby to set up an escape route. If I have to go through this portal, immediately destroy the second portal when I pass it.
2 - Fun places to snipe from
3 - If there's a spot where people always engage, try to get the high ground or a back attack

...and I'm still trying to open a portal underneath an opponent connected to a portal that can potentially ring you out but I haven't successfully done so yet.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Alright, I'll give this a shot. Used your referral link, Palpek.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I wish there was a bit more variety in the 4v4 ranked modes. It's KotH or Domination only. I got put into Platinum 1 and I very much doubt I will ever get higher than that considering how long it takes to rank up.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Enjoying this on my ps5, but is still running the ps4 version. Looking forward to the native one as this is a lot of fun. Pretty basic, but the gameplay is very satisfying and sometimes beauty lies in simplicity. I'm glad the devs have been successful!

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Wow this game absolutely rocks. The gunplay feels so like Halo but with snappy modern movement. I've been setting up sniper portals in high locations and shooting through them from a nearby corner at ground level

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Artelier posted:

Sometimes I wish the movement speed was a tad faster to allow for more movement and portal shenanigans. As is I'm just having a blast.
Yesterday I played around with creating my own server and things like movement speed can be modified in-game. Other interesting stuff that can be controlled is for example the ammount of jetpack fuel, jetpack's strength, gravity and so on. We could potentially get a goon server going with tweaked seetings to make the game faster.

What's cool is that the game has some alright bots so if you want to train a particular weapon or strategy you can start a server, give everybody a particular weapon (or 2), infinite ammo and go to town. It's fun and you still gather XP even when playing with bots. They have 3 difficulty settings too, game owns.

The Joe Man posted:

Alright, I'll give this a shot. Used your referral link, Palpek.
Thanks man, report back with what you think about the game.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Palpek posted:

Thanks man, report back with what you think about the game.
I enjoyed a few of the modes. The headshot-death one is close enough to instagib that I was able to dominate the room. Game seems pretty easy so far but I have no idea what skill levels I'm being ranked with. Jetpack definitely needs more fuel and mobility so players can zip around more.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI6xsUj2Y5c&t=10s

:catstare:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

This is my first fps since Overwatch's launch and drat, I love it.
Thanks for hyping it in the steam thread.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

For people who play this on Steam, I created a group to coordinate games, join today:

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/splitgoons

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
There is an actual instagib mode up for the next three days, it's great.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Yeah, I've been playing it, it should totally stay just for the fun factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
anyone up to play this week/weekend? im plat 1 which is around the average, so don't expect a sweat try hard god level player

instagib is fun, but my fave is the teabag mode which is just kill confirmed basically