Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

eonwe posted:

instagib is fun, but my fave is the teabag mode which is just kill confirmed basically

frankly i wish it wasn't teabagging, kills my interest in the mode wholesale

instagib is great tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

frankly i wish it wasn't teabagging, kills my interest in the mode wholesale

instagib is great tho

What's up with the teabagging? The loading tips say "try crouching over your opponent's corpse with B" which is lol

Edit: anybody want to use my code? G23FBA

Mescal fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 12, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
You can also get a daily challenge for "teabag 5 enemies"

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
This game is loving tight. The guns feel really good to me

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Mescal posted:

What's up with the teabagging? The loading tips say "try crouching over your opponent's corpse with B" which is lol

Edit: anybody want to use my code? G23FBA

i have deep-seated hangups re: the physical act

also it's immature loving garbage anyway

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Gonna enjoy this game while its fresh and hacker free, cos as far as I can see its got zero anti cheat.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Hey people, post your ID codes so we can find one another in Splitgate (I think this is cross-platform?):

1. In the main menu screen click on the "people" icon in the top right of the screen
2. On top of the screen click on the third option from the left (add friends)
3. Copy the code and past it itt, you can also add people from that screen and manage invites

L5F1BANA, feel free to add me.

Let's finally play this together :wtc:

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
this game is fuckin sick, drat. just played a couple casual rounds after messing around in the races and it feels great, even with a controller.

I'm playing on ps4, and it not only has mouse/keyboard support but also an actual FOV slider. way more polished than i expected

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

i have deep-seated hangups re: the physical act

also it's immature loving garbage anyway

oh, it's childish bullshit for sure that says a lot about the person who's doing it. i'm just wondering if it's an actual mechanic somehow?

so what's ranked? am i playing people at similar to my skill level in casual? would i play more people similar to me level in ranked? is ranked the same modes and gameplay, but you get a blue ribbon if you do good? ie pointless if you don't want a blue ribbon

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
It's different modes with worse less fun starting loadouts. Mostly KoTH or domination and carbine + pistol instead of carbine + AR

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe

Mescal posted:

oh, it's childish bullshit for sure that says a lot about the person who's doing it. i'm just wondering if it's an actual mechanic somehow?

so what's ranked? am i playing people at similar to my skill level in casual? would i play more people similar to me level in ranked? is ranked the same modes and gameplay, but you get a blue ribbon if you do good? ie pointless if you don't want a blue ribbon

Tbags is a hidden stat that the game tracks. (You also get booed if you do it during final kill am)

Ranked has it's own maps, but the game modes are available in casual.

Casual has weak/no matchmaking so you can end up against way better or worse players.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Probably not able to play too much except after midnight CST but here's my ID code:
4ERUVXBL

EDIT: Went over level 10 without realizing it. Thought my level was actually the "battlepass" number instead. Tried out instagib. Completely ruined by the firing delay on the railgun. SWAT mode (instant headshot death) is currently a much better version of instagib.

EDIT 2X: Also if someone on the fence would like to use my referral pass I might be able to at least tell one gun apart with the dumb skin I'll get, thanks in advance: 9W5AG8

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 13, 2021

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Well I'm enjoying myself so much I've even decided to throw some money at this. Its very possibly this game will die once Halo Infinite comes out, but until then...

LGP74VE3 - to play with me, Europe times mostly
5GUNIW - to give me free things.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 13, 2021

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

finally got in to play for the first time and after a few matches i love it. never really used the portals but i did pretty well just running around blasting dudes with the assault rifle.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
yeah for a game that's basically just "Halo MP but add a portal gun and a jetpack" it's pretty fun, though overall I feel the more open outdoor style maps work better than the tight indoor maps

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

yeah for a game that's basically just "Halo MP but add a portal gun and a jetpack" it's pretty fun, though overall I feel the more open outdoor style maps work better than the tight indoor maps

I think with portals, the more claustrophobic the better. Give me the space ship from Aliens

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I feel like the game should force people to play on the Olympus map for the first couple of matches as an extension of training because there you simply need to use portals to move from place to place. I know it's probably a bad idea but I want more people to use portals :colbert:.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Palpek posted:

I feel like the game should force people to play on the Olympus map for the first couple of matches as an extension of training because there you simply need to use portals to move from place to place. I know it's probably a bad idea but I want more people to use portals :colbert:.

The difficult thing as a newbie on olympus is quickly visually identifying places you can portal to, it's all blue on blue over blue. The ruins map with the flood green filter color is much easier to navigate with portals.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

My main issue with the game at the moment is the interface. It's really bad. Huge tiles that you have to scroll across to see everything and when you have a bunch of stuff unlocked you have to hunt for them to get rid of the 'new' notification.

Also what's with the shop? Is it a small rotation of stuff only? I see lots of people in skins that don't seem to be available.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Looking forward to the native PS5 version. Game fun.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Is it just me or is the BFB kind of bad, like sure it's a one hit kill but unless you sneak up on an enemy or surprise them around a corner they'll just gun you down while you try to close the gap, feels like it needs something like the lunge* that the energy sword in Halo had, not like it'd be particularly broken considering by default rules the BFB only has four charges and takes 150 seconds to respawn(honestly the scarcity of map weapons and the overall low ammo pools is one of the few things that I don't like about the game as it makes matches a bit repetitive as you'll be using your default weapons for like 95% of the match)

Also I feel the Carbine could maybe stand to have a slight nerf to its damage, it feels a little too good in that regard when you take into account both it's very long range and it being one of the default weapons in almost all of the game's modes(honestly it's kind of weird that it's the Carbine that is the universal one between Casual and Ranked)

*I think it technically has one already but it's so short ranged it barely matters

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Those things might get tweaked as the game really is in a beta state where they're actively working on many of its systems. I've read somewhere that they want to add automatic grabbing on ledges and sliding to the game - that last one could make BFB more viable for example.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
Added everyone who posted their tag, I'm down for playing most times, based at GMT+0.

XN4H3JZJ if anyone wants to team up to climb the ladder or play casual.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

... redis? :psyduck: Is this why they added the queue?

https://twitter.com/splitgate/status/1418265422504202240

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Ahahahaha that's amazing. To be fair that's someone I'd have probably not considered either.
I haven't had a single problem getting in since I started playing and that post is labelled July so I'm guessing they switched databases or something.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Dumb question but can someone explain the two different exp meters? There's orange and blue and they both seem to go up at the same time. I think orange is my "player level" and after 4 hours I'm still barely at 3? If orange is player level, what's blue? They really need some tooltips to explain these...

I like Teabag Confirmed because even though the premise stems from horrible toxic garbage most of the other newbie players here in casual mode seem to have no idea what they're supposed to do so I can feel awesome with a 10 point lead by myself just by reading the one-sentence rules and actually trying. :cool:

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Lakitu7 posted:

Dumb question but can someone explain the two different exp meters? There's orange and blue and they both seem to go up at the same time. I think orange is my "player level" and after 4 hours I'm still barely at 3? If orange is player level, what's blue? They really need some tooltips to explain these...

I'm brand new and just started, so I'm unsure too, but I was guessing the orange was your battle pass level and the blue is your player level.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Lakitu7 posted:

I like Teabag Confirmed because even though the premise stems from horrible toxic garbage most of the other newbie players here in casual mode seem to have no idea what they're supposed to do so I can feel awesome with a 10 point lead by myself just by reading the one-sentence rules and actually trying. :cool:

Blue is your actual account level, when it gets to 20 you unlock ranked etc.
Orange is battlepass level or some bullshit

drrockso20 posted:

Is it just me or is the BFB kind of bad, like sure it's a one hit kill but unless you sneak up on an enemy or surprise them around a corner they'll just gun you down while you try to close the gap, feels like it needs something like the lunge* that the energy sword in Halo had, not like it'd be particularly broken considering by default rules the BFB only has four charges and takes 150 seconds to respawn(honestly the scarcity of map weapons and the overall low ammo pools is one of the few things that I don't like about the game as it makes matches a bit repetitive as you'll be using your default weapons for like 95% of the match)

Also I feel the Carbine could maybe stand to have a slight nerf to its damage, it feels a little too good in that regard when you take into account both it's very long range and it being one of the default weapons in almost all of the game's modes(honestly it's kind of weird that it's the Carbine that is the universal one between Casual and Ranked)

*I think it technically has one already but it's so short ranged it barely matters

To get bat kills you're meant to use portals to come at people from behind. It's way easier to flank in this game than in halo because of the increased mobility.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

There are 2 types of ranked. 4v4 which unlocks at level 10. And 3v3 elimination which unlocks at level 20.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Mega Comrade posted:

Also what's with the shop? Is it a small rotation of stuff only? I see lots of people in skins that don't seem to be available.
Yeah, the shop has a rotation but I think weapons rotate more often than skins/emotes/other stuff. However, I think there are also a lot of items (including skins) that you can't directly buy and that you can only get via reward drops.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Oh, well I'm glad blue is my player level because then I'm much closer to unlocking stuff. But what the heck does "battle pass" orange level do? It seems to just be another list of cosmetic drops/unlocks behind it and that's it?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Yes it's just that.
The 'battle pass' made a ton of money in fortnite and now every f2p game on earth copies it.
Outside of beta it will probably be a 2-tiered system, where each level has some free rewards and then a second set of paid rewards that you can get if you pay 15bux for the premium battle pass, with stuff like cash-shop skins.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Oh okay. I skipped a few generations of shooters including Fortnight, so it's a little overwhelming and confusing. Thanks!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My friend code is GQ7158X1. I'm EST, on when I can because I'm currently at home with a newborn. Playing this on voice chat with friends is pretty fun, I've been playing a bunch with my brothers. Still terrible though.

The bat rules and is a lot of fun.

rockinsaki
Feb 6, 2004

Skinless Half-Asian Wonder

..The Rider of a white horse. This rider wears a crown and will deceive many with talks of peace, but he will wage war against the saints.
Enjoying the snappy feel of the guns, love placing portals above enemy spawn chokes and shooting them from behind. Good times!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I'm so close to unlocking the golden shotgun skin, I can almost taste it. Sniper+Shotgun mode (aka Portal+Shotgun mode for me) owns hard. Weapons feel really good in this game, shotgun included.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

lol I popped in today and even the 11-year-olds thought the teabag game is fuckin' stupid

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

This game is good and I hope it's successful.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Played like a dozen rounds, this game is fun.

My first round on the mcguffin hold gamemode I started ducking into portals to get away from people while I had the ball, and by the end of the match it seemed like a few other players had figured out that was a good idea, so that's fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Yep! I see people starting to get the hang of it since I started playing like a week ago. Which means I'll have to get my fill of it while it's still new, because there's no way I'll be able to keep up with people who are better at video games than me (most people) not to mention use mouse + keyboard