Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

resistentialism posted:

Played like a dozen rounds, this game is fun.

My first round on the mcguffin hold gamemode I started ducking into portals to get away from people while I had the ball, and by the end of the match it seemed like a few other players had figured out that was a good idea, so that's fun.
The next level is realizing that when you hold the ball your melee is a one-hit-kill. So you set up a portal trap in a limited enclosed space and run through whacking people on the fly while they figure out where you're even coming from. And they just keep coming at you because, you know, you're marked on the map so it's a real whack-a-mole out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Palpek posted:

The next level is realizing that when you hold the ball your melee is a one-hit-kill. So you set up a portal trap in a limited enclosed space and run through whacking people on the fly while they figure out where you're even coming from, it's a real whack-a-mole.

i got so mad when someone did that in the low center pit in stadium, i won't lie

there's so little you can do

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

Game is truely great already. Seconding that OHKO-ing unsuspecting enemies with the ball over and over again produces a sort of unrestricted glee that few other gaming experiences can induce.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
That is one of the downsides of there being no offensive grenades in this game and the only explosive weapon being rare and not on every map, potentially the enemy team can figure out a good camping spot and there's not a lot you can do to flush them out

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Here'e a pretty cool video for beginners that explains a few tricks that are very useful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CvD0rNs9d8&t=44s

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Oddball on Olympus is a lesson in frustration. What a dogshit map

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

This game is very fun. I haven't enjoyed a multiplayer shooter this much since the Halo 3 beta.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Palpek posted:

The next level is realizing that when you hold the ball your melee is a one-hit-kill. So you set up a portal trap in a limited enclosed space and run through whacking people on the fly while they figure out where you're even coming from. And they just keep coming at you because, you know, you're marked on the map so it's a real whack-a-mole out there.

There are a TON of ways to run this too... I've been placing one portal at the entrance to a corridor, and a 2nd on any wall on the far end that isn't in sight of the 1st. This is especially effective in narrow areas with obstructions, where you can enter the middle of the hallway through the backside of cover. Then you can either hop from portal to portal, or run a portion the corridor in one direction as a loop. Or you can use the portals as security cameras from either end and gank the poo poo out of people, or fake them out by blind firing through a portal before attacking from your current location. I've been trying to fight for prolonged periods in these helltraps and it's a trip. It's changing my thinking about shooters and map management in general

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Anyone else playing on PS5 and keep losing firefights because you keep randomly activating your melee? Is there some way to not do that? (I used to have that problem a lot playing Destiny, too, so I guess I just need to change the way I put my thumb on the right stick.)

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

CellBlock posted:

Anyone else playing on PS5 and keep losing firefights because you keep randomly activating your melee? Is there some way to not do that? (I used to have that problem a lot playing Destiny, too, so I guess I just need to change the way I put my thumb on the right stick.)

Yep, change your button layout to Tactical. Changes your R3 to be crouch instead

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Like most FPSes I have a lot of trouble holding my aim with a mouse

Been playing them for over thirty damned years and still, when it comes time to either shoot & aim or die, my whole forearm tenses up in the weirdest drat ways. I end up either not re-aiming at all (or too slowly), or overshooting wildly, overshooting the correction, repeat until either I'm dead or the snapshots as my crosshair seem to meet the target gets me a kill; depends on what cm/360 i'm trying, I've yet to find a happy middle ground

For now at least in this game I'm not doing too badly in casuals, as long as it's not Take/Showdown, but I dread setting even a single foot in Ranked tbh :(

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I chuckle every time I notice that the game's process on Windows is called Portal Wars. Now that's a catchy name.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

This is like the first FPS I’ve played where I feel like I’m doing amazing- getting kill streaks and solo’ing like four enemies at once- then I’m ranked last on my team lol.

It’s very fun.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
I've been having a lot of fun with this even though I've never really played competitive FPS games with M&KB, outside of Sea of Thieves which is quite casual. Was sucking pretty bad at times but did pretty good with the portals and when playing modes that didn't rely on quick aim headshots. Then I played on a console and somehow did way better. That got me thinking about mouse settings, which I never really needed to think about in the past. I dropped from 1600 DPI to 600-800 and improved like 200% instantly. The next big galaxy brain level up for me was actually paying attention to the motion detector thing. I should probably watch some videos with noob FPS tips lol.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

If you're playing on controller, you basically have to put sprint on L3 and jump boost on R3 if you want to be able to keep up with k&m users. You can fly easy circles around those that don't.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

One weird trick they don't want you to know - if you don't sprint you don't show on the radar. It's a strange design decision but I'm not complaining - me teleporting behind enemy lines killing the entire enemy team at a walking pace.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
thanks palpek that rocks

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
For anyone struggling to aim with a mouse.
20 years experience playing these types of games tells me your dpi/mouse sensitivity is too high.

fortocero
Jul 23, 2007

I could feel his muscle tissues collapse under my force. It's ludicrous these mortals even attempt to enter my realm.

Palpek posted:

I chuckle every time I notice that the game's process on Windows is called Portal Wars. Now that's a catchy name.

I know, it's so much better than Splitgate but I assume there's probably more of a legal headache involved in trying to call it Portal Wars.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Palpek posted:

One weird trick they don't want you to know - if you don't sprint you don't show on the radar. It's a strange design decision but I'm not complaining - me teleporting behind enemy lines killing the entire enemy team at a walking pace.

Holy crap, this explains so much about why people appear/disappear from radar! Why the heck is it not in the tutorial OR in many/any of these "tips" articles? Thanks!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This game is an absolute blast and I'm addicted to the battle rifle. SWAT is my favorite mode because I can headshot people across the map with a BR and rack up huge kill streaks (at least for now, when most people in casual aren't magical headshot machines)

I'm doing surprisingly well in this game despite usually being pretty bad at multiplayer shooters. The relatively low TTK compared to the last couple multiplayer shooters I played probably helps me, but realistically it's probably because there's a flood of people playing and I'm getting matched with people even worse than me for now.

That said I still feel very smart when I do a clever portal setup and kill the whole enemy team from behind through a portal so I will enjoy that while I can :hmmyes:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Palpek posted:

gently caress

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This is the most fun I've had playing a competitive shooter since like... Splatoon 2

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Harrow posted:

This is the most fun I've had playing a competitive shooter since like... Splatoon 2
Yeah, the game reminds me of how awesome it was to play one of the no-bullshit multiplayer FPSes for the first time back in the day. I'm sure it's the golden age of the game too, people shouldn't miss out on playing this right now.

Also, the beta is still kinda rough and dumb in many places so here's a step-by-step instruction on how we can all play together:

Then go here and do these things:

The game doesn't notify you at all when you get a friend request so you have to check this page manually from time to time, yeah it's dumb. Once you do all that stuff you can invite people to games from the FRIENDS menu on the upper left there.

Here's my friend ID (not to be confused with the referal code), add me:
L5F1BANA

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Mega Comrade posted:

For anyone struggling to aim with a mouse.
20 years experience playing these types of games tells me your dpi/mouse sensitivity is too high.

Yeah this seems like the right advice like 90% of the time. I will say that I'm starting to struggle with tracking people close up in this when using my normal 15 inches/360 sensitivity settings, I end up having to reset my mouse pretty often to not end up stuck on some random far-flung bit of my mousepad.

It is so puzzling that so many FPS games don't support low sensitivities + reasonably high DPIs by default. Splitgate is really good about this with its options menu -- just allowing people to enter arbitrary decimals into the sensitivity bar is a step above most AAA FPS games. So bizarre that more games aren't like this -- e.g. I'm sure that some of the people developing Battlefield or whatever are CS:GO players who have super low sens, and yet their options menu can make it a nightmare to transfer your sensitivity over.

Also, I feel like people who are into Splitgate would also like Sector's Edge -- it's a semi arena-FPS with destructible (and buildable) voxel terrain: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1024890/Sectors_Edge/. It reminds me a lot of Splitgate in terms of the combat (though it is less exactly Halo combat) and being a very small indie FPS which is hitting above its weight.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Just sent friend requests to a few codes from the thread. Mine is 932LD1Z6.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I think the hardest challenge this week is... winning 3x on Abyss. It's only one map and it doesn't come up that often, and you have to win every time it does. :sigh: Is it more common with certain game types?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Lakitu7 posted:

I think the hardest challenge this week is... winning 3x on Abyss. It's only one map and it doesn't come up that often, and you have to win every time it does. :sigh: Is it more common with certain game types?
Queue SWAT & Snipey/Shotty

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
What controller layout are people using? I switched everything to a custom bumper jumper style thing since that's what I've played Halo with, and it seems like you definitely want to be able to jetpack and aim at the same time... Then I put melee on RB so my only options for portals are RS and A, which isn't great. Feels like you need one more shoulder button or something (or an xbox elite lol)

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

super fart shooter posted:

What controller layout are people using? I switched everything to a custom bumper jumper style thing since that's what I've played Halo with, and it seems like you definitely want to be able to jetpack and aim at the same time... Then I put melee on RB so my only options for portals are RS and A, which isn't great. Feels like you need one more shoulder button or something (or an xbox elite lol)

OxMan posted:

If you're playing on controller, you basically have to put sprint on L3 and jump boost on R3 if you want to be able to keep up with k&m users. You can fly easy circles around those that don't.

Basically the "best" it gets is that with a rb(r1) melee and a right button (B, circle) portal. I play with a right button melee and I miss melees, but I hate having differences in the portal control more.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Played this for a couple hours last night and had a blast. This scratches an FPS itch I didn’t know I still had. Old school but with enough new portal shenanigans to keep it fresh.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Yeah, it loving owns, I'm playing right now, wish more people posted their codes and accepted my invites in-game. I also wish the game indicated that you have such invites waiting for you just as it indicates that a new item arrived at the shop, goddamnit.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Lakitu7 posted:

It took a few hours a day for 3 days and I finally got the last abyss win. In all that time Abyss came up two other times. Once everyone else voted it down 4-2 to play Olympus for the hundredth time, and once was on gun game so I had a 1/6 chance and lost badly. Finally, finally, I got a random map vote that landed on Abyss for oddball and won it :hellyeah:. I think I can win most often on oddball because in casual mode half the players can't seem to remember that they're supposed to do something besides kill each other, and then also don't realize that the ball is actually the most powerful weapon.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I’ve been playing this game since the last week or so. I never played Halo but have been having a good amount of fun. The casual can be a little roll heavy, but it’s not too awful.

I played a game of high wind on SWAT where my entire team was doing Benny Hill in a corner of the map, and the other team was playing normally. Somehow they were so bad that I somehow won the game nearly single handedly. Although a few times the Benny Hill crew would murder the other team when they would be attacked on their run.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

It's awkward, I don't want to play against Gamers who are really good and will destroy me, but I do want to play with people who understand the goal of the game we're playing :/ I guess I might as well try ranked

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I’ve been playing a bunch with my brothers and my son and this game is even better with a team that knows what they’re doing. We don’t bother with ranked though, the other modes are too much fun.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Mescal posted:

It's awkward, I don't want to play against Gamers who are really good and will destroy me, but I do want to play with people who understand the goal of the game we're playing :/ I guess I might as well try ranked

the problem with ranked is that instead of the same modes as unranked it's a much more limited selection and with less fun starting loadouts (carbine+pistol instead of carbine+AR, and I don't really like the carbine)
I did my placements but I'll probably stick to unranked from here on

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I’m a filthy casual and will probably never play ranked modes in any FPS again. I don’t need any more stress in my life. Just want to click heads and zoop through portals.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Been limited in my playtime since school has started up again, but this is a dang good time. I do wish that in Oddball I would get put on a team that understands the objective though. Played tonight and at a couple points the other three on my team would be actively running away from the ball after they killed the carrier.

Shockingly, we lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
This looks fun I may join you all sometime soon