Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Apparently the devs will be revealing their big plans for the game's future tomorrow:

https://twitter.com/Splitgate/status/1430235754244964353

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I had fun playing Splitgate, but the anti-cheat no longer lets me launch the game. Not sure what it thinks changed today, but I spent far too long trying to figure this out, so I guess i won't be playing anymore.

Edit: Randomly started working again

Rusty fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 25, 2021

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
just got my butt kicked in oddball by someone who was really good at portals. cool to see the high skill ceiling in the game.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The game just got an 1.8 GB update announced at the same time at Gamescom.

They launched Season 0 with its own challenges and rewards. There's also a pass you can pay for with a lot of cosmetic rewards.

The game laucher UI got a revamp, now all those daily goofy modes got their own category and are available at once as a big separate list.

There's a new map and a new game mode.

I think they also finally added more servers.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
They released a new trailer for the game too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5XKcTM_NM8

The new UI improvements are welcome, they still need to clear up the challenges page though, the bottom scroll bit is annoying.

Interestingly at the moment at least you cant buy anything in the shop except split coin or the battlepass. Which is different from the rotating skins you could buy outright before.

- New Map: Karman Station! Satellite
- New Battle Pass with 100 Levels! Hundred points symbol
- New Gamemode: Contamination! ~brains... Zombie

patch notes are here
https://www.splitgate.com/blogs/splitgate-season-0-launch

But page is broken at the moment.

splitgateTwitter posted:

The Splitgate Website is currently overloaded from so much traffic. If you can't view the patch notes, try again later
lol well nice to see the interest is still coming in.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 25, 2021

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

They added a kill cam of the final kill at the end of the match.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

2 deals appeared in the shop only possible to be bought by cash and not the coins.

Also here are the patch notes from the website:

quote:

New Features:
  • Karman Station – A reimagining of the original map, Outpost. Karman Station replaces Outpost on our roster of Maps. Those of you who played before the Beta will recognize the similarities, but most importantly, the improvements!
  • Season 0 Battle Pass – The Battle Pass has 100 Levels of brand-new items, exclusive to the Pass! Included in the Pass are: New Armors, Weapon Skins, Name Tags, Banners, and a Portal Skin! Season
  • Challenges are fully unlocked with the BP!
  • Contamination – New asymmetrical mode with two teams. The “Contaminated” team starts with Bats only and seeks to frag the “Human” team, who have shotguns. When a Human team member dies, they respawn on the Contaminated team. Game ends when time runs out or if all players are contaminated.
  • Casual Team Rumble – A new casual playlist with various game modes too wacky for normal casual! Game modes include Contamination, Big Head Snipers, Splitball, and more!
  • Final Kill Cam – Feature added by popular demand, you can now see the final kill of the game!
  • Pistol Rework – Balance Changes: Fully Auto, .125 fire rate,15.5 body, 17.5 head

Quality Of Life Changes:
  • Aim Assist slider – Some of you requested that you be able to turn off/scale down the Aim Assist for controllers. 100% Aim Assist = what the Aim Assist has been before this update.
  • Overtime – King of the Hill, VIP, and Oddball now has Overtime.
  • Doing all Daily Challenges gives a drop.
  • New Referral Pass – 9 Levels with new items! New referrals will only count towards the new referral pass.
  • Custom Games Browser - added searching and filtering.
  • You can now shoot portals through the bodies of allies.
  • Killcam is enabled in all modes now (ex: SWAT). We saw your petition.
  • Ranks – More Elo Divisions have been added. i.e. ELO 3000 =Diamond 1, ELO 3300 = Diamond 4, etc.
  • Team switching – custom games option for switching teams during the match.
  • Pickup zone text visibility improvements.
  • Updated Hills and DOM points on certain maps.
  • Hill Mesh updated.

Bug Fixes:
  • Beta BP bug fixed - You can equip items 11-15 from the Beta Battle Pass in your locker. (Beta Fish is happy)
  • Footstep audio fixed.
  • Numerous miscellaneous bug fixes.
  • More server optimizations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Huh so with the pass being 900 coins you can end up getting 900 coins from it. Effectively making it free (IF you max it out that is)

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I wish that the ranked mode would show you how many points you lost or gained after a round.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Mega Comrade posted:

Interestingly at the moment at least you cant buy anything in the shop except split coin or the battlepass. Which is different from the rotating skins you could buy outright before.

Never mind was a bug, shop is now back to how it was.

George H.W. oval office posted:

I wish that the ranked mode would show you how many points you lost or gained after a round.

Yeah the post match screens are a bit crap, I'd also like more time between rounds sometimes to chat to people. Right now its 2 info screens then the lobby for about 5 seconds and next match. Either add more time in the lobby or have the chat usable the entire time.
Also why is match stats hidden? It should be the main screen everyone sees after the game.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Mega Comrade posted:

Huh so with the pass being 900 coins you can end up getting 900 coins from it. Effectively making it free (IF you max it out that is)

That's pretty much how every game's battle pass works, as far as I know. (Although I'm only particularly familiar with Rocket League, but I believe Fortnite would give V-Bucks along the way.)

It's a good idea; I would never bother, but knowing it can pay for next season's pass is cool, and might buy this one. I'm not like all the way in love with Splitgate, but it's fun.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Oh i didn't realise it was a common thing. Don't think I've ever looked at a pass in detail before.

Ive ended up buying it because it was only a few quid with the coins i still had from the beta and I like supporting small indie teams.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The new map sucks imo, it's too big and promotes camping instead of portaling.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
How long does a "battle pass" last for? Like if you paid for it, how long do you have to max it out before it expires or whatever? It looks like for free you still progress in levels and certain items are free, but paying for it then gets you the non-free stuff up to your level, right?

Also, have they ever talked about why we can't play CTF in matchmaking?

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 25, 2021

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I bought the pass because hell, game is incredibly fun and I'm cool with throwing 8.50€ towards the devs and in the proces having a long rewards progression to unlock when playing.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
My player code or whatever is EJXEDZ

Just did three rounds and game owns. Shotgun / sniper mode is fun as hell, especially sniping people through portals. Next round was Team SWAT and I managed to go 35-0 without leaving my initial spawn room.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
a little confusing to have FFA modes like instagib and gun game under the "team rumble" header, but whatever, I get the idea

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I feel like the bat could use some improvement... the windup is slow, and the hitbox seems really small, plus the animation doesn't really make it very clear when it's active. I might be overreacting though cause I played a round of zombie VIP, and it seems these problems are exacerbated by the super fast movement speed

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i don't like the new playlist split, it was nice getting oddballs like OitC at random as I play

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
game fun but TDM seems like the worst mode. to easy to snowball just by running around as a pair

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I’m normally awful at console FPS games since I grew up playing doom and quake, but I am absolutely tearing poo poo up in this game. My k/d ratio is 2.28 and I don’t think I’ve ever broke 1.0 with a controller until now. Wtf.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Gamerofthegame posted:

game fun but TDM seems like the worst mode. to easy to snowball just by running around as a pair

yea it seems like that. i had a game of shotty snipers where our team ran together for the entire match. we absolutely destroyed the other team like 50-6 and i ended up with 25 of those kills. the sniper rifle is a better railgun than the actual railgun.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Gamerofthegame posted:

Teamwork in team death match being op isn't exactly a new thing.

Happy Hedonist posted:

I’m normally awful at console FPS games since I grew up playing doom and quake, but I am absolutely tearing poo poo up in this game. My k/d ratio is 2.28 and I don’t think I’ve ever broke 1.0 with a controller until now. Wtf.

Hate to break it to you but the game is sneaky and puts you against bots to begin with, then after a few games slowly starts taking them out.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Aug 27, 2021

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

Hate to break it to you but the game is sneaky and puts you against bots to begin with, then after a few games slowly starts taking them out.

Lol it worked! I played a ton last night and at this point I’m pretty sure I’m playing real people. I’m not coming in first anymore but I’m holding my own, which is fun.

Is ranked solo friendly or is more like Overwatch where if you don’t bring a team you are typically paired with raging nerds yelling through their mic?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Mega Comrade posted:

well now i'm annoyed and disheartened in equal measure :smith:

is there a clear indicator of which ones are bots? (eg non-behavioral; i'm too stressed to notice bot-like movement or aim)

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Ciaphas posted:

is there a clear indicator of which ones are bots? (eg non-behavioral; i'm too stressed to notice bot-like movement or aim)

I've noticed that if a player leaves during a game, it adds [bot] in front of the name to show that a bot has taken over, but I don't believe there's much of a way to tell if/when there's a bot in for the whole match.

Maybe by checking the mute/report screen and seeing if the bots aren't listed there? Haven't tried that.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

You shouldn't be annoyed. It's a clever mechanic to not scare people off instantly, by the time the bots are taken away most people have got the basics down and can hold their own against real players.

Its difficult to spot bots at first but I believe they are only for the first few levels and it's only in casual, ranked is always humans (unless someone leaves)

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I noticed when I hit level 10 and started playing goal focused modes like domination and king of the hill the skill of the players drastically increased. I still can’t differentiate the bots from players, but my assumption is that there are a lot less once you break level 10?

In any case while it can be disheartening, it also allows you to learn the basics before jumping in and getting your face rocked every match. Fortnite is similar in that you play bots for like the first 5 games or whatever, I think. It’s kinda gross because it’s obvious they are trying to give you that dopamine rush in an attempt to hook you, but it also makes for a better initial experience imo.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I don't think it's insidious. They can't measure your skill very well if they started you against demonic killbot assassins.

Ranked says crossplay required. Does that mean I'm playing only against other PC users in casual?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
You definitely play against controller players in casual, in fact most matches are mostly people on controllers. I'm not exactly a fan, not that you can't compete, it has aim assist, but that the two play styles are really different. With a controller and aim assist, you want to kind of stay out of the action I would think since you can't maneuver as fast as KB/Mouse users. I find myself in sinpers and shotguns using shotguns mainly against controller players and getting in close.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Zombie VIP is such a loving dumb mode, I love it. The Benny Hill theme is playing in my head the entire time I'm playing it.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Rusty posted:

You definitely play against controller players in casual, in fact most matches are mostly people on controllers. I'm not exactly a fan, not that you can't compete, it has aim assist, but that the two play styles are really different. With a controller and aim assist, you want to kind of stay out of the action I would think since you can't maneuver as fast as KB/Mouse users. I find myself in sinpers and shotguns using shotguns mainly against controller players and getting in close.

Yeah I try to keep my distance. Up at max sensitivity I just can't turn around fast enough to do melee range. I just switched my jump to L3 which helps to be able to move more like the mouse+key crowd. Thanks for the tip that walking makes you invisible on HUD. I don't usually run at all.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Mescal posted:

Ranked says crossplay required. Does that mean I'm playing only against other PC users in casual?

You can turn off crossplay in the options, but it's always on for ranked.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Is the location information for casual bugged? I just played a few matches, one of which had Europeans and another with people saying they were in Singapore in broken English. The games felt off too. One was team swat and I died multiple times where I was holding an angle and died when a shoulder enter line of sight, then watch the kill cam and they shot twice before I even did anything beside strafe. I’ve only noticed this since season zero started, so I’m not sure if I’m just imagining it or that there is something off.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This game has been pretty fun but at this point I'm barely using portals, trying to use them for combat-oriented purposes seems like a recipe for disaster for several reasons, so I just use them as rear-view mirrors or to have a jittery unpredictable presence around the map, so they've just become a like, fidget thing I do while not in combat.

I just went 21-0 with 4 VIP kills as the VIP and it dawned on me that I don't really like the portal gimmick and find that ignoring it 90% of the time leads to more wins :v: Trying to conceptualize what a portal is doing is a really complex task and takes a lot of attention and I have a feeling that skill clicking and becoming purely intuitive is going to be totally out of reach of the vast majority of the playerbase (myself included, those things break my brain). If you run around pretending portals don't exist you'll realize that you can outplay the poo poo out of almost everyone because of how much slower their reaction times are when they're trying to make sense of portals. I've only ran into a few players total that seemed to have complete control over what they were doing with portals but they weren't any more effective than someone just jetpacking around with an assault rifle out. I'm sure any professional matches will be a different ballgame entirely and should lead to interesting highlights but I'm not interested in playing at that level, so portal-free is the way to be.

I've also never been this good at a FPS before, a lot of players just feel like bots. I'm guessing crossplay is the reason why, it feels like most players are on consoles and have a significant disadvantage. The matches against PC players are pretty obvious since they feel like what I'm used to in competitive FPS.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 29, 2021

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Depending on your level, the players are bots. I don’t know the portal mechanics well, but they seem good for rapid positioning behind people, especially if they are already holding a hard angle on you.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

deep dish peat moss posted:

This game has been pretty fun but at this point I'm barely using portals, trying to use them for combat-oriented purposes seems like a recipe for disaster for several reasons, so I just use them as rear-view mirrors or to have a jittery unpredictable presence around the map, so they've just become a like, fidget thing I do while not in combat.

That's relatively more true in things like team deathmatch but if you play more KOTH, Oddball, etc., there's more good use of portals.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Yea I find them useful in goal oriented modes, but you have to be real slick about it most of the time. Under the right circumstances you can cap 2 or 3 guys holding a position from afar while your teammates actually occupy it. I can see them being extremely useful given a team that communicates well, but you ain't gonna find that in public matches most of the time.

I think my biggest problem with the game is that it lacks any real personality. It’s a fantastic arena shooter with interesting mechanics which is something I’ve been waiting for for a long time, but I think I’m already bored with it and I can’t explain why other than the ascetics are BORING.

Happy Hedonist fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 29, 2021

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
On the other hand I find all the daily/weekly/season challenges really help keep me incentivized to keep playing in a way that didn't happen with previous generations. They're adding more varied player skins but the red/blue system during the actual game makes it so you barely see them most of the time anyway. Hopefully they continue to add more maps and modes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I learned how to consistently use portals on the fly by playing game modes with limited weapon options. Shotty Snipers was perfect for this, you just spawn and instead of looking for weapons you switch to shotgun and go to town. Because you're only using one weapon you can focus on portals and with a shotgun you have to because you need to get close to your enemy. So whenever you see somebody you just shoot a portal as close to them as possible and then another one as close to you as possible and jump through it. That's how you build muscle memory for it. Once you get the hang of using portals all the time it becomes second nature and then you can start adding more complex tricks to your regular play.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 29, 2021