Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ok for real whos your team
This poll is closed.
The Green Bay Packers 81 35.53%
The Chicago Bears 52 22.81%
The Minnesota Vikings 42 18.42%
The Detroit Lions 53 23.25%
Total: 228 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Dan Campbell and Jamaal Williams should be more than enough to make it a good season. Has to be better than last year at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1508494518479470595

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

drat that's a lot of picks

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Now Holmes has to Rams it up and trade away all the 2024 picks.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Another swing and miss.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1508514794424487940

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Apparently Sheila is dropping the Ford from her name?

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MJeff posted:

Apparently Sheila is dropping the Ford from her name?

REMOVE WCF FROM THE UNIFORM!!!

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Does it really matter. I liked the idea of Bates, but this was basically a guy you were hoping could compete for a starting spot.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sataere posted:

Does it really matter. I liked the idea of Bates, but this was basically a guy you were hoping could compete for a starting spot.

Bates would have been their best lineman by a mile.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
He's an interior lineman who's started six career games lol

(I know that what you said and what I said aren't mutually exclusive, but that dude isn't making or breaking the line. The absence of reliable starting tackles, on the other hand,)

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Bates showed out last year and finding starting caliber linemen is hard. The Bears did Buffalo a real solid by not offering him more.

Small sample size but teams have paid more than $4.5/y for guards that have never played well.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

fsif posted:

Bates showed out last year and finding starting caliber linemen is hard. The Bears did Buffalo a real solid by not offering him more.

Small sample size but teams have paid more than $4.5/y for guards that have never played well.

That's a pretty silly reason to offer more. I think that contract is more than fair for his potential and I'm glad the Bears didn't offer more. There is still a level of risk involved based on sample size.

I think there's a good chance he outplays that contract and I hope he does because it means Poles did a good job scouting him, but offering him $6 million a year would be a bad move regardless of how he turns out.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I would just like Fields to have a tiny bit of help for next season so he doesn't die on the field.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Niwrad posted:

I would just like Fields to have a tiny bit of help for next season so he doesn't die on the field.

There are still a lot of solid free agents available and after the draft, we'll have a much clearer picture of what this team will look like.

The problem is the Bears can't spend big on any one guy this year because they have so many holes to fill. I suspect Poles will just draft best player available and then fill the roster holes after the draft on positions he missed.

It's just too soon to judge.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Sataere posted:

There are still a lot of solid free agents available and after the draft, we'll have a much clearer picture of what this team will look like.

The problem is the Bears can't spend big on any one guy this year because they have so many holes to fill. I suspect Poles will just draft best player available and then fill the roster holes after the draft on positions he missed.

It's just too soon to judge.

I don't care about filling every slot, because it's not like the Bears are winning anything this year regardless. I just don't want the 2nd year QB to die because the OLine can't protect him

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I'm fine if the Bears tank this year, but please for the love of god keep Fields safe.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

All I'm really saying is it is too early to be worried about it. Poles told us what his plan was going to be. He's been doing it. He told us he's going tonl focus on developing the offensive line, so I suspect we'll see a couple guys drafted there.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Sataere posted:

All I'm really saying is it is too early to be worried about it. Poles told us what his plan was going to be. He's been doing it. He told us he's going tonl focus on developing the offensive line, so I suspect we'll see a couple guys drafted there.

I was skeptical of this, but I took a look at the free agents still left at tackle. This is a little bit out of date, but I think Jesse Davis is the only person whose signing hasn't been captured yet.

Anyway, Nate Solder started 16 games for the Giants, Duane Brown started 17 games for the Seahawks, Bryan Bulaga only started one game for the Chargers but that was due to injury, Eric Fisher started 15 games for the Colts, and Daryl Williams started 17 games for the Bills, and there's more on the list. So, no star players like Armstead still available, but a lot of experienced guys at least. Some of them will probably still be available by the time you get to the summer and the asking price has nosedived.

I dunno enough about guards to know if there's anyone even league-average left in that pool, but I also think that's one of the easiest positions for a rookie to be an effective starter for, and you should be able to get someone talented at that position at either 39 or 48.

So yeah, you're probably right that it's too early to be worried about it.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

It sounds well and good to fill the obvious gaps left in the team by paying for or bringing in new talent that will get the job done for cheaper, and obviously goons love talking about tanking, but think about the talent drain that happened to this team over the past 3 years and the fact that, if not for Ogunjobi failing a physical, the Bears would have once again recieved no compensatory picks.

Go look at the teams who will probably make the playoffs but still are also getting free 3rd round picks. LA Chargers, Dallas, Tennessee, the loving Rams have two, the Niners, I can go on

Meanwhile we're treading water trying to get lucky. That's what ultimately pisses me off about this franchise

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
https://twitter.com/mattschneidman/status/1508818995520184346?s=21&t=mMY7Lz5nDmeYYAG6IKjPyQ

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

GNU Order posted:

It sounds well and good to fill the obvious gaps left in the team by paying for or bringing in new talent that will get the job done for cheaper, and obviously goons love talking about tanking, but think about the talent drain that happened to this team over the past 3 years and the fact that, if not for Ogunjobi failing a physical, the Bears would have once again recieved no compensatory picks.

Go look at the teams who will probably make the playoffs but still are also getting free 3rd round picks. LA Chargers, Dallas, Tennessee, the loving Rams have two, the Niners, I can go on

Meanwhile we're treading water trying to get lucky. That's what ultimately pisses me off about this franchise

That is definitely what pisses me off about Pace, but this regime is trying to do a hard course correct and I'm happy to have them completely crater this year if next offseason we are in a position to succeed.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Am I weird to think the raiders should’ve kept him on as head coach considering he took over during a train wreck and made it to the playoffs?

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Pontius Pilate posted:

Am I weird to think the raiders should’ve kept him on as head coach considering he took over during a train wreck and made it to the playoffs?

Not at all. I was really hoping the Bears signed him on for special teams. I dont quite understand why the raiders didnt stick with him. My only thought maybe he is just ok at HC and the turnaround the raiders had was inevitable because Gruden lost the locker room. Just speculating.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Jen X posted:

I don't care about filling every slot, because it's not like the Bears are winning anything this year regardless. I just don't want the 2nd year QB to die because the OLine can't protect him

Yeah, like I don't care if the defense gives up 50 points a game next year. You can't consistently win in this league without a franchise QB. And you're not going to be able to figure out if Fields is that guy if he's hurt or throwing to a bunch of trash cans.

The other thing is that maybe they just don't think Fields is a franchise QB. Maybe the plan is to be horrendous and draft the next franchise QB with the top 3-5 pick they're likely to have. That would make sense since it's going to be awfully tough for Fields to develop with this roster.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

Niwrad posted:

Yeah, like I don't care if the defense gives up 50 points a game next year. You can't consistently win in this league without a franchise QB. And you're not going to be able to figure out if Fields is that guy if he's hurt or throwing to a bunch of trash cans.

The other thing is that maybe they just don't think Fields is a franchise QB. Maybe the plan is to be horrendous and draft the next franchise QB with the top 3-5 pick they're likely to have. That would make sense since it's going to be awfully tough for Fields to develop with this roster.
Isn't that basically what happened to Josh Rosen when the Cards drafted Kyler Murray? It would be sad to see that happen to Fields, he seems like a legit talent and a likable guy.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

If Fields is destined to become a flop then I must be fuckin blind because I see a good rookie with not a lot of help, who can run really well and already has an extremely accurate deep ball. And if you can't start winning with that then maybe you should just trade him to somebody who can

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

GNU Order posted:

And if you can't start winning with that then maybe you should just trade him to somebody who can

They can't because they are the bears.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It seems like a substantially bigger risk to hope you can get a better guy than Fields a year or two from now when you have Fields right now and it's only his second year in the league. You still have to develop the QB you get a year or two from now assuming you even get the guy you have your eye on, which means 4-5 years until you start winning. Unless they think Fields has already been broken beyond repair by Nagy, it's not like the lifespan of a good QB is so short they need to write off Fields ASAP for the vague dream of a slightly better guy in the future.

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 30, 2022

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Doug from Glenview voice: If da bears screw this one up i'm done with da whole drat team, i'm done watchin em

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I have zero doubt that Justin Fields is a franchise quarterback. My only concern is what absurdity will derail his career. It won't be football related. His athleticism and work ethic are too good. But I'm not sure the Bears are allowed to have a good quarterback.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bears shouldn't be allowed to draft quarterbacks, it's too cruel. just assign them the most andy daltonish quarterback every year and let them draft linebackers.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
https://twitter.com/davidcanter/status/1509298255175237632

Bears are exclusively signing backups that elicit reactions of "drat I'm kind of sad to see him go; he was solid in a pinch" from fans of the guy's former team

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

xbilkis posted:

https://twitter.com/davidcanter/status/1509298255175237632

Bears are exclusively signing backups that elicit reactions of "drat I'm kind of sad to see him go; he was solid in a pinch" from fans of the guy's former team

Im ok with that. Nothing wrong with bargain shopping. Might find a potential starter that needed a new team to shine.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

GNU Order posted:

If Fields is destined to become a flop then I must be fuckin blind because I see a good rookie with not a lot of help, who can run really well and already has an extremely accurate deep ball. And if you can't start winning with that then maybe you should just trade him to somebody who can

Because there's no evidence he's ever going to get that help, but there is evidence he's mortal. So you need to ask yourself how many years before not having help turns him into a broken mess.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

GNU Order posted:

Bustin Fields

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

HootTheOwl posted:

Because there's no evidence he's ever going to get that help, but there is evidence he's mortal. So you need to ask yourself how many years before not having help turns him into a broken mess.

Not an unfair point but if the answer is just "lol Bears" then they doesn't really incentivize the Bears themselves to give up on him for a future prospect. Short of coming to some incredibly self-aware realization and giving up on the QB position entirely, their best way forward lies in trying to give it their best shot with Fields (even if they end up loving it up)

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Bears should realize the futility and give Fields to the Lions. We have the line to protect him.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Bears should literally give up on the quarterback and run the Triple Option

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Danny LaFever posted:

Bears should realize the futility and give Fields to the Lions. We have the line to protect him.

You gonna hang on to him for 10 years and trade him away so he can win a superbowl too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Danny LaFever posted:

Two year loaner deal