Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The NFC West has been one of the most competitive divisions in football in recent years, and 2021 should be no different. All four teams are at least good, and there should be multiple playoff representatives if all goes well. Of course, this division is loving weird and we all know things won't go well.

Arizona Cardinals

2020 record: 8-8
Vegas win over/under: 8.5
Head coach: Kliff Kingsbury
Starting QB: Kyler Murray

The Cardinals are in a weird spot where they have one of the league's most exciting young QBs, yet still feel like they have more questions than answers. That tends to happen when you start off 6-3, only to collapse down the stretch and miss the playoffs. Losing a Week 17 must-win game to something called John Wolford was a particularly humiliating way to end the season. There's a lot to like about this roster, and it's not hard to see them getting over the hump. But at some point Kingsbury needs to show that he's the solution and not part of the problem, and I remain unconvinced heading into Year 3.

Los Angeles Rams

2020 record: 10-6
Vegas win over/under: 10.5
Head coach: Sean McVay
Starting QB: Matthew Stafford

Tired of playing patty-cake on training wheels with his QB, McVay banished Jared Goff to Detroit and brought back a guy who actually likes throwing the ball. I hesitate to call this the best supporting cast of Stafford's career (as if Calvin Johnson didn't exist), but it's definitely the best coaching staff he's ever had, and if an alleged top-10 QB is going to finally win a playoff game at age 33, now's the time. The Rams are a trendy Super Bowl pick, but if the defense regresses even a little from last year's dominant peak, their ceiling might not be as high as people expect. Especially if Stafford just keeps being the same guy he has been for 12 years.

San Francisco 49ers

2020 record: 6-10
Vegas win over/under: 10.5
Head coach: Kyle Shanahan
Starting QB: Trey Lance

Much like McVay, Shanahan saw enough of his boring game-manager QB and swung for the fences to find a potential franchise guy. Lance is something of a mystery box, coming out of FCS and playing just one game in 2020. But his potential is undeniable and worth the risk of trading up to No. 3 in the draft. Jimmy Garoppolo is still on the team for now, but by all accounts Lance is the guy in Week 1. Combine that with a bunch of key players back from injury (most notably Nick Bosa and Deebo Samuel), and the 49ers could easily be right back in the playoff mix.

Seattle Seahawks

2020 record: 12-4
Vegas win over/under: 10
Head coach: Pete Carroll
Starting QB: Russell Wilson

If I never hear the phrase "Let Russ Cook" ever again, it'll be too soon. It's not often you see a team win 12 games and still come out of the season feeling like a failure, but that's the bar Pete and Russ have set for themselves over the past decade. On the bright side, Brian Schottenheimer is finally gone, and Pete decided to drink from the McVay well, bringing in pass-game coordinator Shane Waldron from the Rams to be the OC. We don't much know what this new offense will look like, but camp reports have been largely positive, with a lot more misdirection and presnap motion that was mostly absent from Schotty's scheme. We know the deal by now with this team -- they'll win 10-12 games, lose early in the playoffs and fans will act like they went 4-13.

Division titles

49ers -- 20
Rams -- 17
Seahawks -- 9
Cardinals -- 3

Super Bowl appearances (winning years in bold)

49ers -- 7 (1981, 1984, 1988, 1989, 1994, 2012, 2019)
Rams -- 4 (1979, 1999, 2001, 2018)
Seahawks -- 3 (2005, 2013, 2014)
Cardinals -- 1 (2008)

Benne fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
Running is good and cool and the NFC West should do a lot of it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Great thread title. I was going to callback to 2010 Buster Posey Irrational Enthusiasm thread which led to Even Year Bullshit volume 1.

Trey Lance Irrational Enthusiasm Thread. Alas.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm anticipating plenty of running plays. I believe that will help these teams win. Especially the San Francisco 49ers.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I have worn my custom title badge of shame for two years for disrespecting the run and hope that Chris Carson and Rashaad Penny establish the hell out of the run now that Schottenheimer is out of town

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Cardinals offense will be pretty rad, I think. Kyler is always a threat to break some crazy good runs, and they’ve got a tandem of James Conner, Chase Edmonds and *checks notes* Ito Smith in the backfield.

But their offense wasn’t the primary issue in 2020, even though they turned into a pumpkin so often in the redzone. At least twenty times last year they got down to the 20 or 10 yard line, then either lost yardage or stalled out with dropped passes, forcing them to settle for a field goal. It was maddening how Jeckyl and Hyde that redzone offense was.

No, their primary issue was was all about their defense constantly giving up massive plays, especially late in games. Peterson had arguably one the worst seasons of his career last year, ranking 83rd out of 121 qualifying DBs. He’s been on the decline for a few seasons now. In 2019 he allowed a opponent passer rating of 104.9. In 2020 he allowed a passer rating of 100.8. I’m not sure he’s got a lot left in the tank and the Vikings aren’t going to be getting the Pro Bowl version of him.

It’ll be interesting to see how Watt and Jones are utilized, as well as seeing Isaiah Simmons get a full training camp, preseason and regular season under his belt.

They also drafted THIS DUDE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj_vTMW9GKE

The Cardinals fixing their weird redzone hangups and improving upon their blah defense will determine whether or not they can take the next step under Kingsbury & Pals.

Nuk Hopkins, the Force Ghost of AJ Green, Rondale Moore and Christian Kirk will keep them in games in the meantime.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Aug 10, 2021

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
Every time I see win/loss over/under I'm reminded there's 17 games now.

NFCW with 3 10+ win teams is entirely possible this year. :ohdear:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

OGS-Remix posted:

Now that we have 3 Wild Cards there's a realistic chance that an entire division makes the playoffs :getin:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Benne posted:

they'll win 10-12 games, lose early in the playoffs and fans will act like they went 4-13.

I feel attacked

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Benne posted:

Now that we have 3 Wild Cards there's a realistic chance that an entire division makes the playoffs :getin:

Four teams enter! Four teams leave!

that kinda lacks the intimidation factor, huh

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

OGS-Remix posted:

7 win division champs may be a thing of the past, too- alas and alack!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Gerund posted:

7 win division champs may be a thing of the past, too- alas and alack!

The dream of a sub .500 division champ is still alive and with an odd number of games it feels likely in the near future.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gerund posted:

7 win division champs may be a thing of the past

As long as the NFCE exists, no it's not

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Lets go the hawks binch

For real tho winning 12 games and then losing like that in the first round did feel like a 4-12 waste of a year.

I love dk metcalf. He will forever be the guy I can say I was beating the table for pre-draft and that I was right about

Run with carson and unleash DK

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

EmbryoSteve posted:

Lets go the hawks binch

For real tho winning 12 games and then losing like that in the first round did feel like a 4-12 waste of a year.

I love dk metcalf. He will forever be the guy I can say I was beating the table for pre-draft and that I was right about

Run with carson and unleash DK

I wanted to gripe about the end of last season but gently caress that hope springs eternal let's go Hawks binch :hawksin:

Long bombs to DK all day!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Manoueverable posted:

Assume you mean "establish the run first then take shots down field," right?

....right?

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Manoueverable posted:

From what I am reading about the new offense, it will be short bombs to DK and letting him plow through CBs and safeties for some extra yards.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm not good at Photoshop so someone put Pete and Russ' faces over this instead

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I located a box of Nuk's cereal out in the wild yesterday.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Gonz posted:

It's very good but you're only allowed to put it on the left side of your placemat, and you can only eat it with one of three different spoon movements.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Gonz posted:

Deandre's Pox box.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Jake Funk is going to rush for 1300 yards this year

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1425478813232865280?s=19

Huh. His legal outlook must be pretty bad!

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

The Cardinals are going to look good on some plays, and look bad on other plays.

I'll be swearing at Kliff every week and I'm quite looking forward to it.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Yeah all reports were he looked good in camp

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

https://twitter.com/a_jude/status/1425254091224092673?s=21

Basically, they can free up $17.9 million of Wilson's contract by converting it to a signing bonus. For God sakes, do it.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Bob Socko posted:

https://twitter.com/a_jude/status/1425254091224092673?s=21

Basically, they can free up $17.9 million of Wilson's contract by converting it to a signing bonus. For God sakes, do it.

The Seahawks are in win now mode, so this seems totally trivial.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Darrell Taylor is just that good

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

https://www.therams.com/news/rams-r...vjv9Tu-zsfSnwiY

First unofficial depth chart out of training camp looking good

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Benne posted:

I'm not good at Photoshop so someone put Pete and Russ' faces over this instead

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

lol

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Tweet this at Russ and Pete.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

:five:

Close the thread, it's done.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/billbarnwell/status/1425533262974406661?s=20

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

It's too bad this would not be legible avatar sized

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

kensei posted:

It's too bad this would not be legible avatar sized

Could maybe work as a GIF?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

perfect in every way

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Ehud posted:

Could maybe work as a GIF?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967