Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Every QB rumor involved with the Seahawks is "I'll believe it when I see it" especially given there was no leaks about the Russ trade until it happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

seiferguy posted:

Every QB rumor involved with the Seahawks is "I'll believe it when I see it" especially given there was no leaks about the Russ trade until it happened.

There was a lot of noise about Russ to Denver in the offseason though?

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

YOLOsubmarine posted:

There was a lot of noise about Russ to Denver in the offseason though?

There was every offseason. Denver always needed a QB and the Seahawks always lost in the first round of the playoffs and people/players were pissed.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Lifespan posted:

There was every offseason. Denver always needed a QB and the Seahawks always lost in the first round of the playoffs and people/players were pissed.

Denver wasn’t in the list of teams that Wilson’s agent provided last year as destinations he would be willing to waive his no trade clause for.

Then in December of 2021 Jordan Schultz reported that Wilson’s new list included Denver which kicked off a new round of speculation. In February Albright reported that the Broncos were still trying to get Rodgers but would pursue Wilson if Rodgers elected to stay in Green Bay. Wilson was traded a couple of weeks later.

It definitely wasn’t out of the blue and it was driven by reporting from credible sources, not just hypothetical “best trade destination” listicles.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 12, 2022

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
At the same time, no one honestly believed that Wilson was actually willing to join the Jets so the legitimacy and seriousness of that list was always a question.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Lifespan posted:

At the same time, no one honestly believed that Wilson was actually willing to join the Jets so the legitimacy and seriousness of that list was always a question.

It was the Giants, and hell, who knows. He wants to be “iconic” or whatever, maybe the idea of playing for the less humiliating New York team appeals to him. But either way there were a couple of months of “Wilson to Denver!?“ speculation during the off-season so Wilson actually going to Denver didn’t come out of nowhere.

I mean, I don’t think the Seahawks are interested in Jimmy but it wouldn’t point to twitter rumors as evidence that it’s NOT happening based on what went down with Russ.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 12, 2022

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Lifespan posted:

I think you underestimate the draw of large markets for star athletes.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Coldforge posted:

I think you underestimate the draw of large markets for star athletes.

I don't know if that's as pronounced in the NFL. I think there are 5-6 teams players don't want to be normally, but it's more about record than geography. The Jets/Jags/Bears/Texans aren't drawing star athletes in FA without overpaying because they have loving sucked on the field. The Cardinals tend to have a lot of interest from older FA because of the turf/weather/Keim is drunk and overpays them.

Players are going to the Rams en-masse because they're really good not because they're in LA.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Leperflesh posted:

I'm stealing this tiered ranking of QBs from some site I've never heard of but I think it's putting Jimmy G too low:

I think I'd actually slot Jimmy G in around Tier 4, and if he's above Tannehill that'd put him above around 18 other QBs - in the top half of the league.
I don't think Jimmy G is worse than Tanny or Mac Jones and actually I think when he's healthy he plays at or above Kirk Cousins level.

e. also LOL at pittsburgh

I keep remembering Pittsburg got a vet QB but forgetting who it was, then laughing when when I remember it is Trubisky.

For that tier list I would remove tier 4 completely, I would bump Cousins to 3 and drop Tanny and Jones to tier 5. I think there is bigger drop off between something like QB14 to QB15 than from QB15 to QB24 or so. At some point you get some ranking compression between QBs that help their team vs hinder their team, and I feel it is around there. Something like:
QBs 1-6: Will frequently carry their team to the playoffs
QBs 7-14: Will help their team get to the playoffs
(Big tier gap)
QBs 15-26: Can go to the playoffs with a good team/coaching, but will mostly prevent the team from winning a superbowl. On a bad team they will look bad.
QBs 27+: Will prevent the team from making the playoffs.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
Drew Cock

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Dubious posted:

Drew Cock

Not sure if he’s cool enough for that nickname. Maybe if he’s hooked up with his mom’s friends?

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
You gotta go for a play on another nickname, like Big PU Drew

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Are you an official member of the Drew Lock Flock

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Dubious posted:

Drew Cock

Got 'em

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Stone Cold Drew Lock of the Century

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
I’m a proud member of the Murray Flurry and hyped he’ll by in Arizona through 2028

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
*looks at contract numbers*

That’s a lotta caeeesssh.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Gonz posted:

*looks at contract numbers*

That’s a lotta caeeesssh.

Look deep inside of yourself and ask "Did this cost the Cardinals a super bowl run?"

I don't think anyone thinks they're super bowl contenders and almost never do, with good reason.

The next question is "do you like watching him play football?"

I say yes. He's cool. He runs really fast. He has a cannon. Accuracy is a problem I guess but the Cardinals have been way more interesting with Kyler than without & if he hit the open market, someone was going to pay him that much or more. The QB contracts aren't going to go down.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Kyler is cool and good, but he needs to be cool and good for more than 8-10 games per season. That playoff game last season was positively Ryan Lindley-esque.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I liked the comparison of his salary to the Athletics payroll this year (it's like $43mil).

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
Los Angeles Rams' Super Bowl XVI ring "is the most carat weight in the history of a sports championship ring."

This ring is really freaking cool. I can't even imagine how much each of them cost.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
More of an explanation to the creation of the SB XVI ring

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
This one genuinely made me laugh:
https://twitter.com/ritaoak_art/status/1550478349306298373?s=20&t=XjJV57QrYstDEN_6ot8S-Q

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
I know this seems like overkill, but I keep finding out more info about the Rams' SB XVI ring. The detail put into this is pretty phenomenal.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I like to think that everyone's ring has Stafford on it, since they would not be there without him.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

DariusLikewise posted:

Really surprised they didn't sign another QB, maybe they are planning to give Luis Perez another shot once the USFL is done.

https://twitter.com/ramsnfl/status/1550908014256787457?s=21&t=8d-ZbYbqk-LH1igrZewiRw

Manifesting Luis Perez camp arm

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

:golfclap:

I just read about this a few minutes ago.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1551297038100434949

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

So, the Falcons.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

carry on then posted:

So, the Falcons.

Chirp chirp, bird supremacy

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Major “SNL Super Happy Funball” vibes from this:

https://twitter.com/AZCardinals/status/1551296213713948672

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

I think the Falcons logo is cool so I think this is cool on its own. It's derivative and unnecessary because of the Falcons logo.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
:lol: they had to contractually obligate Kyler to study

https://theathletic.com/news/kyler-murray-contract-independent-study/RtO7703WrvPT/

quote:

Kyler Murray's new contract with the Arizona Cardinals includes an eye-catching addendum: the quarterback will be required to complete at least four hours of "independent study" per game week during the season, NFL Network reported Monday.

"Independent study" entails that Murray will study material provided to him by the team to prepare for the next upcoming game, the contract reportedly reads. Time spent in mandatory team meetings does not count toward the independent study time.

"Player shall receive no credit for Independent Study for any period during which Player does not personally study the provided material in good faith," the contract reportedly says. "For the avoidance of doubt, Player shall not receive any credit for Independent Study with respect to any time period during which any material is displayed or players on an iPad or other electronic device if (a) Player is not personally studying or watching the material while it is being displayed or played or (b) Player is engaged in any other activity that may distract his attention (for example, watching television, playing video games or browsing the internet) while such material is being displayed or played."

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Ok, first off, lol. Second, how are they really going to enforce it? Quiz him before the game? Send him some blank tape and see if he says anything, like that one QB for the . . . Raiders? . . . where they thought he wasn’t watching film, so they sent him a blank VCR tape?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Bob Socko posted:

Send him some blank tape and see if he says anything, like that one QB for the . . . Raiders? . . . where they thought he wasn’t watching film, so they sent him a blank VCR tape?

JaMarcus Russell.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

https://twitter.com/rosecitypeach/status/1551716084998459392

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Bob Socko posted:

Ok, first off, lol. Second, how are they really going to enforce it? Quiz him before the game? Send him some blank tape and see if he says anything, like that one QB for the . . . Raiders? . . . where they thought he wasn’t watching film, so they sent him a blank VCR tape?

See if he falls off a cliff in the second half of the season.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Bob Socko posted:

Lol the dude’s in a grown up version of high school detention with forced homework assignments

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Cat Hassler posted:

Lol the dude’s in a grown up version of high school detention with forced homework assignments

I wish I got paid millions of dollars for doing my homework.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

quote:

any time period during which any material is displayed or players on an iPad or other electronic device if (a) Player is not personally studying or watching the material while it is being displayed

The technology/software to verify this with an ipad's camera exists. It's maybe a little outlandish but not totally out of the realm of possibility that they have this as a way to get out of the contract they can decide to use if he sucks a year or two in and they don't want to eat the remaining guaranteed money.