Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohhai
Apr 5, 2011
Oh man, I've been rewatching Lexx, I have no idea how it got four seasons but I'm incredibly glad.
It's a Canadian/German production, and it's probably the most horny SciFi/Comedy show I can think of, the ships are all inspired by insects and bugs, and it feels like half the props and sets are straight out of a BDSM store. What's makes it even stranger is it's got a rather serious plot about overthrowing a dark brutal ruler called "The Shadow". Oh, it also guest stars Tim Curry and Malcolm McDowell.

It should be really well known, but I think I've only met perhaps two people who've ever seen any of it, and that's because they've watched almost all SciFi out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Uh, His Divine Shadow, you absolute poser. (Lexx was a good show)

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Ohhai posted:

Oh man, I've been rewatching Lexx, I have no idea how it got four seasons but I'm incredibly glad.
It's a Canadian/German production, and it's probably the most horny SciFi/Comedy show I can think of, the ships are all inspired by insects and bugs, and it feels like half the props and sets are straight out of a BDSM store. What's makes it even stranger is it's got a rather serious plot about overthrowing a dark brutal ruler called "The Shadow". Oh, it also guest stars Tim Curry and Malcolm McDowell.

It should be really well known, but I think I've only met perhaps two people who've ever seen any of it, and that's because they've watched almost all SciFi out there.

If you like it, and haven't heard about it's major inspiration, try Incal by Alejandro Jodorowsky and Mœbius. Batshit space opera. Violent, weird, and very Jodorowsky. Pretty in a very ugly way. If you find yourself liking that, The Metabarons, by Jodorowsky and Gimenez, expands on the story and goes it's own bizarre way. Transgender and hermaphrodite characters as a central theme (this is not bizarre, just neat how it fits into the story), a disem-headed body as galaxy-wide assassin, cow-sized spider-wolves with an appetite for destruction, a universe-eating flea... thing the size of a galaxy, motherfucking sentient carnivorous whale spaceships, and it doesn't stop there.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
1997 gave us Over the Top, which was cancelled after 3 episodes. Tim Curry stars as a desperate past-his-prime actor who crashes with his ex-wife (Annie Potts) and her daughter. Steve Carell also plays their foreign chef or manservant or something. Tim Curry is his marvelous self, but Steve Carell's character is very cringy. Overall, it's not the worst sitcom I've seen, but even despite Tim Curry, I wasn't interested in watching more than a few episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x31SbbeVfb4

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Shout-out to other The Cape series about astronauts with Buzz Aldrin as a tech. advisor apparently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cape_(1996_TV_series)

IIRC it's mostly notable for contributing to lost cosmonaut lore with its Halloween episode "Buried in Peace."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0536126/
http://www.astronautix.com/m/mikoyanandrei.html
here's some random forum talking about it https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=45936.0

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Just about the only thing I remember from "The Cape" was the titular "Cape" himself had to sneak into a high-rise building, and they determined the ONLY way to do that was teach him to tightrope walk from the building next door in, like, a day.

There was no reason he had to tightrope walk (and I want to say without a harness, even.) Also...how did they get the cable to the building? Maybe they used a batman style "Grapple gun," I can't remember, but there's no reason he couldn't just have done some sort of rappelling-esque type of thing. Just a harness attached to the cable that he hands-over-hands his way to the other building...no risk of falling, no need to learn a kill that takes years to develop in less than a week, etc...

Another series that had two season, but they were short seasons and I'm still mad it was canceled, Ugly Americans.

Suck MY balls.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Remembered The River just recently. It wasn't the best, but I was basically ALL IN on the found footage Lost style poo poo in a rainforest. The ending it was left with was a cliffhanger, and now I'm all salty again it got canceled and then the possibility of Netflix having it continue through them fell through.

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

The Inside was a cool (if uneven) "FBI profiler vs. serial killers" show starring Rachel Nichols, Peter Coyote, and Adam Baldwin, with a writing staff featuring most of the big non-Whedon writers from Angel, like Tim Minear, Jane Espenson, et al. Only lasted half a season. The central conceit is that Rachel Nichols plays a profiler who had been abducted as a child, in a case that had been famous within the universe of the show. Highlights included a fun twist on a "bad seed" child villain, an Insomnia-style pursuit as the protag is lost in the woods, and an episode with a very disturbed fat guy in an electric wheelchair.

It's on YouTube. It's very mid-00s.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLG5YX8k3vkx5nb9R2ljthjsmq79JRFYMx

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I have been remiss in not mentioning 12 Monkeys in this thread. It got four seasons to fully tell its story, and it's a very, very good show (I actually like it better than the source material, which is saying something), but it does seem forgotten. I rarely see people talk about it in the same way they do other sci-fi TV series, but the people who *did* watch it are absolutely fanatical.

It has something in common with my beloved Lodge 49, mentioned a-ways up thread, in that it was an obvious labor of love for everyone involved, and everyone who worked on it cites it as one of the best working experiences they've ever had.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

12 Monkeys probably wasn't helped by the weird way Syfy released seasons 3 and 4. They both aired on TV but were released as blocks of episodes instead of regular weekly airing. Like the entirety of season 3 aired over one weekend.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Pastry of the Year posted:

I have been remiss in not mentioning 12 Monkeys in this thread. It got four seasons to fully tell its story, and it's a very, very good show (I actually like it better than the source material, which is saying something), but it does seem forgotten. I rarely see people talk about it in the same way they do other sci-fi TV series, but the people who *did* watch it are absolutely fanatical.

It has something in common with my beloved Lodge 49, mentioned a-ways up thread, in that it was an obvious labor of love for everyone involved, and everyone who worked on it cites it as one of the best working experiences they've ever had.

The only issue I had with it was that it had a tendency in the later seasons of solving every problem with an automatic rifle.

Otherwise it was great, especially the episodes where they go into full heist-mode, and it does of course have one of the greatest scenes ever put on TV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDEgASduaR8

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

evobatman posted:

The only issue I had with it was that it had a tendency in the later seasons of solving every problem with an automatic rifle.

Otherwise it was great, especially the episodes where they go into full heist-mode, and it does of course have one of the greatest scenes ever put on TV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDEgASduaR8

NBC Universal is not happy with your link.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
I don't know why, but this show pops up in my head every now and then. Nearly Departed only ran for a few episodes. It had Eric Idle and Caroline McWilliams as a couple that just died and they're living in a house that was just bought by a family (where only the grandpa can see and hear them). I remember it because I was obsessed with Beetlejuice and the show's premise is kinda lifted from it. Plus, it had Eric Idle and I thought he was funny. The show's theme song literally explains everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2roa-VT-9U

volts5000 has a new favorite as of 23:11 on Nov 6, 2021

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I have to mention the first season of Murder One, a serial legal drama that aired on ABC in 1995-96 that was shockingly ahead of it's time. The entire 23 episode season focuses on one murder trial, and it is masterfully written and acted. If it wasn't for the dated CGI intro and overly long recaps, you could easily mistake this as a series made today for Netflix that is set in the mid 90s. It covers issues like homosexuality, racism, sexual harassment, sexual assault, and corruption in an incredibly progressive and nuanced way for the era. The second season wrote out the main characters and was generally terrible, you should pretend it doesn't exist, and the show was cancelled and mostly forgotten after that. Still, the first season is one of the best seasons of television from the 20th century, and Netflix/Hulu are fools for not streaming it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ralph Crammed In posted:

I really liked Becoming a God in Central Florida. It was renewed for a second season but then the pandemic hit and evidently it wasn't working out and now it's permanently canceled and no one seems to give enough of a poo poo about it to try to get a second season going :(
I really liked that show, but I don't think it needed a second season. It's perfectly fine existing as a single story with a defined end.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Ohhai posted:

I feel like I've seen some affection for Lexx out there, although it was definitely a cult thing. My sophomore year of college, my roommate was seriously into Lexx and taught herself video editing to make a fan music video out of it, so... yeah, you're not alone. (Unless you're my sophomore roommate, in which case, I am very sorry.)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Konstantin posted:

I have to mention the first season of Murder One, a serial legal drama that aired on ABC in 1995-96 that was shockingly ahead of it's time. The entire 23 episode season focuses on one murder trial, and it is masterfully written and acted. If it wasn't for the dated CGI intro and overly long recaps, you could easily mistake this as a series made today for Netflix that is set in the mid 90s. It covers issues like homosexuality, racism, sexual harassment, sexual assault, and corruption in an incredibly progressive and nuanced way for the era. The second season wrote out the main characters and was generally terrible, you should pretend it doesn't exist, and the show was cancelled and mostly forgotten after that. Still, the first season is one of the best seasons of television from the 20th century, and Netflix/Hulu are fools for not streaming it.

Yeah, I remember watching this one a few years back. They really go through the whole process.

Great cast too: Daniel Benzali kills it in every scene and so does Stanley Tucci.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I did a thread search and nothing came up so my submission is Nowhere Man that aired in '95-'96. It stars Bruce Greenwood who is a photographer whose life is erased. Was his family and everyone he knew being forced by some agency to not recognize their husband/father/friend? Was it something else? Who knows because it was canned after 25 excellent episodes, but ratings weren't high enough for UPN and the internet wasn't full of outrage at the time to help to save it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Antivehicular posted:

I feel like I've seen some affection for Lexx out there, although it was definitely a cult thing. My sophomore year of college, my roommate was seriously into Lexx and taught herself video editing to make a fan music video out of it, so... yeah, you're not alone. (Unless you're my sophomore roommate, in which case, I am very sorry.)

Lexx is genuinely the best and least embarrassing of all the various sci-fi space opera shows out there. From Star Trek to star gate to star wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

Just remembered a super fun show that had one season on HBO a couple of years ago and by this point isn't getting any more, Los Espookys. A show about a group of horror movie fans who start a business where they fake supernatural events. An example of the sense of humor is how one of the characters starts dating a guy online who says he's a Spanish Prince, when she finally meets him he reveals that he's been lying the entire time and is only a Duke.

Quoting myself because it was recently announced that season 2 of Los Espookys just finished filming.