Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

quote:

Sloan's mentor, Dr Ann Coulter, is a geneticist who believes that the violent behavior of certain criminals may have a genetic basis.

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
As far as 1 season wonders go, Terriers is the best show of the 2010’s.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I liked Invasion back when it was airing right after LOST. I can't remember much of it nowadays except for making me aware of how much William Fitchner rules but I was disappointed when it was cancelled after one season.

It was about a bunch of aliens who show up in a small town during a hurricane and start body snatching people. ABC basically stopped advertising the show for awhile because the hurricane-centric first episode aired a month after Katrina hit so it never really did well.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I havent seen it in literally 25 years but I remember liking Dark Skies as a kid. Part of NBC's "Thrillogy" (lol) programming block with the actually-sucessful shows The Pretender and Profiler, Dark Skies was trying to cash in on the sucess of the X-Files but took place in the 60's and focused exclusively on UFO and shadow government conspiracy plots, very Deus Ex before that was cool.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Just randomly remembered that a 2003 show called The Handler existed. It starred Joe Pantoliano (of The Matrix and Robot In The Family fame) as an FBI agent handling rookie agents going undercover. It got cancelled after only 14 episodes.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Remember the Karl Urban cop show with the robot partner? That was real good.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

There is very little about it online but I also really really liked a show on FX in the early aughts called Lucky about a degenerate gambler living in vegas. Of course it got cancelled after like half a season.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Basticle posted:

There is very little about it online but I also really really liked a show on FX in the early aughts called Lucky about a degenerate gambler living in vegas. Of course it got cancelled after like half a season.

That show owned and I didn’t think anyone else watched it.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Remember the Karl Urban cop show with the robot partner? That was real good.

I mentioned it a bit in my South Beach post. Another in the long line of "robot cop" failures. Almost Human (2013)

I did really enjoy it. The car banter was the best part. The storylines were relatively weak and generic, but the world was cool and the acting was solid.

This was fantastic and a shame it ended. Both main characters were fun as hell to watch.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

That show owned and I didn’t think anyone else watched it.

:hfive:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Let’s Watch thread for it at some point?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Athanatos posted:

This was fantastic and a shame it ended. Both main characters were fun as hell to watch.

There’s a TVIV thread about it going right now.

The theme song was a loving jam, too.

https://youtu.be/qD8Kh7Pmzho

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

The 2010's had some good solid terrible sci-fi TV and pretty much none of the ones I liked got long runs, if they got ends at all. I loved Almost Human, Fringe, Sleepy Hollow, Falling Skies... that one that was set in Vancouver (they were all filmed in Vancouver but this one was actually SET there) that was a time traveling one? I can't recall the name, except I can recall they named their big bad corporation Sanmonto and it makes me giggle to this day.

I really thought Falling Skies was going to pick up and get Walking Dead big, but the moment they stopped fighting cool aliens and stared doing Walking Dead style interpersonal drama I realized it was a dud. I came for an AK wielding history teacher and improvised technicals and I got Not Rick Grimes screaming "POPE!" and sad people.

puckkcat
Jul 28, 2013

I watched the poo poo out of that!!
10/10 ! would watch the poo poo out of again!!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

puckkcat posted:

I watched the poo poo out of that!!
10/10 ! would watch the poo poo out of again!!

It came out right after I graduated college and my dad and I would set a time to watch it every Wednesday. He was in recovery and the AA meetings and regret Hank had hit him right in the feels.

We also watched Lights Out a few months later which kicked rear end for me since I was a boxer that had the same “lights” punches.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Caedus posted:

that one that was set in Vancouver (they were all filmed in Vancouver but this one was actually SET there) that was a time traveling one? I can't recall the name, except I can recall they named their big bad corporation Sanmonto and it makes me giggle to this day.

Continuum. It started out decent but got pretty convoluted and dumb by the end. By season four I was mostly still watching because I liked Kellog.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

It's a real life thing actually now

https://bsj.berkeley.edu/born-to-kill-the-story-of-serial-killer-genes/

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Flying Zamboni posted:

I liked Invasion back when it was airing right after LOST. I can't remember much of it nowadays except for making me aware of how much William Fitchner rules but I was disappointed when it was cancelled after one season.

It was about a bunch of aliens who show up in a small town during a hurricane and start body snatching people. ABC basically stopped advertising the show for awhile because the hurricane-centric first episode aired a month after Katrina hit so it never really did well.

There were three shows that all started around the same time that were, at least initially, very similar in premise (aliens/monsters!)
Invasion
Surface
and...uhhh...some other one who's name I forgot that had Brent Spiner. Something like The Signal? (Edit: Looked it up and it was called Threshhold.)

I remember trying to watch all 3 initially, dropped off the third one right away, and ten eventually stopped watching Invasion, and kept up with Surface for most of its run...I think it only had the one season and was a cliffhanger? Something about genetic engineering and the new monsters wanting to take over the world?

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 14:56 on Aug 17, 2021

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
Brats of the Lost Nebula was a show that combined puppets from the Jim Henson workshop and computer animation, played several eps of its first season on Kids WB, and then was done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp1y88XO9KU

This show was one of those things that I actually thought I had made up in my head, but no, it was real and weird.

wankel13b
Jan 23, 2005

quak
Otherworld

Ran January 28 to March 18, so not even two months. 8 episodes.

It was about a family who was touring the pyramids, then got transported to another planet/dimension. I thought it was great, although the only episode I remember is where the son was in the back yard, spilled something on his shirt, and took it off. The police arrested him, I guess it was illegal for even guys to go topless.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

Fringe was such an amazing show with so much potential. Great cast and while I haven’t seen it in years, I remember the effects being great. Then it ended, not with a bang, but with a shart

Did The Odyssey have an audience outside of Canada? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Odyssey_(TV_series)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

HAmbONE posted:

Fringe was such an amazing show with so much potential. Great cast and while I haven’t seen it in years, I remember the effects being great. Then it ended, not with a bang, but with a shart

Did The Odyssey have an audience outside of Canada? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Odyssey_(TV_series)

The final season of fringe had its moments, like when they started using all the fringe events from earlier in the show as terror weapons

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Brats of the Lost Nebula was a show that combined puppets from the Jim Henson workshop and computer animation, played several eps of its first season on Kids WB, and then was done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp1y88XO9KU

This show was one of those things that I actually thought I had made up in my head, but no, it was real and weird.

I've been trying to recall the name of this show for probably a decade now but every time I went to describe it, it sounded like something I straight made up. It's real, it actually exists, I didn't dream it up home sick from school one day!

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
I mentioned John Glover in another failed show write up, but this time, the show is really good and he shined. X-Files was huge at the time. It had recently moved to the Sunday timeslot, and had a spinoff running (Millennium (1996)) in the Friday Night timeslot, and Fox was looking for another dark, spooky, and hit tv show to put in the lead in. In comes Brimestone (1998).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKJR8BEJsaU

In 1983, Ezekiel "Zeke" Stone (Peter Horton) was a New York City Police detective whose wife, Rosalyn, was raped. He tracked down and arrested the offender, Gilbert Jax, who was then cleared of the charges. Furious, Stone then murdered Jax. Two months later, Stone was killed in an unrelated incident and went to Hell for murdering Jax. Fifteen years later, 113 souls breakout from Hell. Because the Devil is largely powerless on Earth, he makes a deal with Stone: Stone will be returned to Earth to track down these 113 escapees, and if he can return all of them to Hell (before one of them kills him), he will earn a second chance at life on Earth.

John Glover played the devil and was fantastic to watch. He'd gently caress with Stone as much as help him, and any scene with these two was fantastic. One of the small twists is that the longer you have been in Hell, the more it becomes part of you so some of the 113 are very powerful. It ends up being a monster/detective show of the week.

Since it's been 15 years there are some fun things with Stone trying to fit into the "future." He also enjoys pissing off the Devil by taking time to eat, something the Devil tells him over and over he doesn't have to do. Every morning Stone wakes up with his badge, his fully loaded service pistol, and $36.27 - the amount of money he was carrying when he was murdered.

There are various supporting characters including another detective, the hotel he lives at owner (played by Lori Petty), and a blind priest.

It was enjoyable seeing him track down who he needed to, solve the mystery of the week, and try to figure out how to live a life with the Devil there all the time.

Fox only aired 13 episodes before they decided the ratings were not the next X-Files and canceled it.

Peter Horton played the part well, the stories and villains were interesting, the world building was basic but had some neat parts, but John Glover was the part that shined the most.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pQDRFYUCWI&t=89s

They still replay them randomly on SciFi channel or other various bullshit. Give them a shot if you see it on.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Athanatos posted:

I mentioned John Glover in another failed show write up, but this time, the show is really good and he shined. X-Files was huge at the time. It had recently moved to the Sunday timeslot, and had a spinoff running (Millennium (1996)) in the Friday Night timeslot, and Fox was looking for another dark, spooky, and hit tv show to put in the lead in. In comes Brimestone (1998).

In order to send the demons back to Hell, you had to take out their eyes. One episode had the hero buying a ratty old car that was possessed. He sent it back to Hell by shooting out its headlights.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The Terriers discussion in this thread got me to finally take it off my "to watch eventually" list and start it up and long story short I just blew through the first five episodes. Good TV.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

DrBouvenstein posted:

There were three shows that all started around the same time that were, at least initially, very similar in premise (aliens/monsters!)
Invasion
Surface
and...uhhh...some other one who's name I forgot that had Brent Spiner. Something like The Signal? (Edit: Looked it up and it was called Threshhold.)

The only one I remember from that era was something about some small sea monster washing up in a town in the Florida keys after a storm and being found by a couple of kids. Don't remember much else about it other than one of the plot twists was that there was, of course, bigger ones out there.

I do remember watching that space police series though and kinda enjoying it, didn't learn until later it was a failed venture.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

wankel13b posted:

Otherworld

It was about a family who was touring the pyramids, then got transported to another planet/dimension. I thought it was great, although the only episode I remember is where the son was in the back yard, spilled something on his shirt, and took it off. The police arrested him, I guess it was illegal for even guys to go topless.

This. loving loved this show and find myself thinking about it every once in a while.

In the episode you refer to, the son got sent to a Military School as punishment for his transgressions. He had to participate in some sort of wargames exercise, and got to fly an ultralight with rocket pods mounted on the wings. Coolest poo poo ever to 12 year old me.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

What was the goofy live action 90's sci-fi show where one of the kid's powers was that they had really good body temperature control or something so every other episode they'd end up in an overheating part of the ship just looking red and sweaty and constipated as they tried to 'deal with the excess heat' or something

e: the title was like "galaxy geeks" or "space cadets" or something

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 22:26 on Aug 18, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That was my favorite-ever shortlived Nickelodeon show Space Cases with that bangin' theme song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9soPONp0QAI

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

That was it! I'm sure I've drunkenly posted about it here dozens of times over the past million years but can never actually remember much about it other than the weird heat kid

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Speaking of weird sci-fi shows in 90's Nickelodeon, they also had a weird remake of Land of the Lost that ran for a season.

I wasn't alive for the 70's version, so for a while this was the only Land of the Lost that I thought existed.
https://youtu.be/dmcx0PWPYj0

That into makes it seem like they're aren't any Sleestaks, and the T-Rex is the main threat, but there were, though I think they have them smarter then the original 70s version... They were more like an evil dinosaur Three Stooges. A "smart" leader and two dumber underlings.

Fake edit: Wikipedia tells me it was originally babe for ABC and Nick just picked it up later for reruns, and it actually had 2 seasons, though only 26 eps total so closer to a regular full season of most shows.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Blacke’s Magic starred Hal Linden as a stage magician and Harry Morgan as his con-artist father. They solved mysteries.

Also, it’s a wonder that Cartoon Network hasn’t done anything with Sheep in the Big City now that Mo Willems is a well-known kids’ author.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DrBouvenstein posted:

Speaking of weird sci-fi shows in 90's Nickelodeon, they also had a weird remake of Land of the Lost that ran for a season.

I wasn't alive for the 70's version, so for a while this was the only Land of the Lost that I thought existed.
https://youtu.be/dmcx0PWPYj0

That into makes it seem like they're aren't any Sleestaks, and the T-Rex is the main threat, but there were, though I think they have them smarter then the original 70s version... They were more like an evil dinosaur Three Stooges. A "smart" leader and two dumber underlings.

Fake edit: Wikipedia tells me it was originally babe for ABC and Nick just picked it up later for reruns, and it actually had 2 seasons, though only 26 eps total so closer to a regular full season of most shows.

That just gave me some major flashbacks. :same: to not knowing about the 70’s version for ages.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Goblin Craft posted:

Back to the mid '90s again I remember really being invested in another canceled-after-one-season show, Earth 2, which had a colony ship that escaped a polluted Earth but crash lands on the wrong hemisphere of their barely-settled destination planet, and IMDB tells me a few things I didn't remember like Clancy Brown and Tim Curry having roles. I remember some weird aliens that they either couldn't communicate with or maybe they weren't even sure they were fully sapient.
I never actually watched Earth 2, but I remember the commercials for it that aired during SeaQuest, which I was really into as a kid. (SeaQuest itself got three seasons, so it's probably too successful for this thread.) Also of all things, there's a reference to it in the X-Files; the Lone Gunmen at one point mention they're planning to watch the pilot episode to nitpick it.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Many folks remember the Super Mario Brothers Super Show, with Lou Albano. I like reminding people of its last season, Club Mario.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhHlhovepKw

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Sci-fi chat caused a memory of Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future. 80s mostly Canadian Sci-fi kids show that was supposed to work with an "interactive" toy line. Canned for ultimately being too violent and heavy for saturday mornings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Power_and_the_Soldiers_of_the_Future

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

wankel13b posted:

Otherworld

it also had Jonathon Banks as the main antagonist

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
This one seems newer than most posted, but I remember in college watching My own worst Enemy. It was one of those shows that was obviously not very good, but still enjoyable.

It was canceled after four episodes aired, but they did air all 9 they produced.

Basically, Christian Slater is a top secret spy, so secret that even he doesn't know he's a spy. The government can activate a chip in his brain to turn him into his spy persona and then when he's done with his mission he goes back to not knowing he's a spy. I think his wife also ends up being in the same situation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

USA ran a fantastic show called Touching Evil that was a remake of a British show.
Jefferey Donovan from Burn Notice was a special unit FBI type investigator that got shot in the head. He healed but has difficulty dealing with people. Vera Farmiga and a stupidly young Bradley Cooper are also both in it.

It was great and I wish I could at least get it on dvd or something.