Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BooDooBoo posted:

I really like crossovers in my fiction, it's a terrible thing.
I'm generally pretty indifferent to crossovers when they actually happen, but I really like the Tommy Westphall Universe theory where, thanks to crossovers and references, everything from M*A*S*H to Buffy the Vampire Slayer to Star Trek can be linked together into a single shared universe - and a surprisingly large number of connections are directly related to Richard Belzer's character Detective John Munch (best known from Law & Order: Special Victims Unit) who turns up in more shows than you'd expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Athanatos posted:

Another one of those "It's set in Seattle" that was crazy popular for a while.

This is way back on page 1, but it's because they're filmed in Vancouver but setting a show in Canada would cause Americans to hulk out, so they use Seattle since they're the same thing and you don't have to hide the climate.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Tiggum posted:

I'm generally pretty indifferent to crossovers when they actually happen, but I really like the Tommy Westphall Universe theory where, thanks to crossovers and references, everything from M*A*S*H to Buffy the Vampire Slayer to Star Trek can be linked together into a single shared universe - and a surprisingly large number of connections are directly related to Richard Belzer's character Detective John Munch (best known from Law & Order: Special Victims Unit) who turns up in more shows than you'd expect.

:same: I love randomly finding out that some weird movie or TV show I’m watching is connected to the Tommy Westphall universe in some obscure way.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

:same: I love randomly finding out that some weird movie or TV show I’m watching is connected to the Tommy Westphall universe in some obscure way.

It's usually Munch.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
American Gothic from the mid-90s, criminally canceled after one season. Gary Cole as a corrupt small-town sheriff who may be (or be in league with) the devil. Young Lucas Black as the main protagonist. Very nice and creepy.

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?
I'm surprised anyone has heard of Dead Like Me, my Uncle found it in like 2011 and we pretty much binged the whole thing. No one I've met has heard of it, only the existence of google has confirmed that it is real and I'm not crazy.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Groke posted:

American Gothic from the mid-90s, criminally canceled after one season. Gary Cole as a corrupt small-town sheriff who may be (or be in league with) the devil. Young Lucas Black as the main protagonist. Very nice and creepy.

That was good. The sheriff manipulating all the town folk, lots of Dutch angles, a possible angel hanging around, creepy atmosphere. My one complaint would be that it felt like there were several scriptwriters involved, who weren't talking to each other. One episode would be very suggestive, the next would go full on with the supernatural, etc.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Hrvstmn31 posted:

I'm surprised anyone has heard of Dead Like Me, my Uncle found it in like 2011 and we pretty much binged the whole thing. No one I've met has heard of it, only the existence of google has confirmed that it is real and I'm not crazy.

Dead Like Me was surprisingly popular in the UK

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Groke posted:

Lucas Black, poo poo. The man's local to where I'm from. Weird hearing the accent on the big screen. Deepwater was a fun ride, kinda Lynchian.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Anyone else remember Kings from the late aughts? They tried to do the biblical story from Kings set in modern day which led to some really funny decisions (David vs. a GOLIATH tank) while also scrubbing most of the Jewish language out so you had the prophet Saul as a Reverend who was dressed in modern protestant trappings.

Mostly notable for having Ian McShane just giving it his all and having the time of his life playing a biblical King in modern Not-Ameroca

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Groke posted:

Someone's at the door....

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Zore posted:

Anyone else remember Kings from the late aughts? They tried to do the biblical story from Kings set in modern day which led to some really funny decisions (David vs. a GOLIATH tank) while also scrubbing most of the Jewish language out so you had the prophet Saul as a Reverend who was dressed in modern protestant trappings.

Mostly notable for having Ian McShane just giving it his all and having the time of his life playing a biblical King in modern Not-Ameroca
Ian Mcshane rules.

Reverend: You cannot win a war against God.
King: At least he'll know I'm angry.

This was also one of Bucky Barnes first roles, as the closeted prince Jonathan.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Zore posted:

Oh yeah, completely out of my memory until this very moment, I was pretty bummed when it was canceled. I can't even remember if it went a full season or just got cut off.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Zore posted:

It’s incredibly funny how that show was screwed by the network. NBC didn’t want to either offend religious audiences or drive away non-religious viewers so they refused to let the show use the words “King David” and forbid marketing from mentioning the religious/spiritual aspects.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

I loved Dead Like Me. I learned how to pirate in in 2004 so I never accumulated much of a DVD collection but that's one of 5 series I actually own.

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

Dead Like Me was surprisingly popular in the UK

That just makes it even more strange.

Caedus posted:

I loved Dead Like Me. I learned how to pirate in in 2004 so I never accumulated much of a DVD collection but that's one of 5 series I actually own.

I own two, Kolchak I got because of a pretty small podcast and Aeon Flux. I watched it when I was 13 and it sorta stuck around in the back of my head. It also BSoDs my boyfriend like Panty & Stocking did, so that's cool.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Hrvstmn31 posted:

That just makes it even more strange.

What’s even stranger is that there was a feature-length episode released in 2009, a full 5 years after the show ended.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Caedus posted:

I learned how to pirate in in 2004 so I never accumulated much of a DVD collection but that's one of 5 series I actually own.

Hrvstmn31 posted:

I own two, Kolchak I got because of a pretty small podcast and Aeon Flux.

I had read about Kolchak for years, but had no way of watching it until some kind soul digitized the episodes they'd taped off of a long-defunct cable channel called Trio. (It's a great show, by the way.) There was a really interesting time to be alive, as an old media junkie, between the advent of BitTorrent and the serious influx of fan-uploaded out-of-print TV to YouTube, where people were just digitizing whatever they had taped and bundling it into torrents, and I think there were probably three straight years or so during which I was never not downloading things and offloading them to external media just as fast as I could. A torrent could be seeded one day and dead the next, and some people got really possessive and weird about "I have this and you don't, so here are some hoops for you to jump through before I'll consider sharing it [again]".

Almost all the media I gobbled up eventually got nice, clean DVD releases or showed up on one streaming service or another, making those old rips basically obsolete — but they were like treasure at the time.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

muscles like this! posted:

Ghosted also got almost completely retooled in the middle of its only season. When it started the characters were going out on missions to investigate stuff for the secret government agency. Then halfway through there are no more investigations and they spend all their time just hanging out in the office.

Ghosted was picking up by the end of the season and I maintain if they'd done another they'd have found their footing

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
If, like me, you watched the 2003 baseball playoffs, some small part of your memory will always be filled by ads for “Skin.”

HER FATHER IS THE DISTRICT ATTORNEY!

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Profit. A show well ahead of its time.

“Jim Profit works for a multinational company and isn't above using any means necessary to get ahead, which includes bribery, blackmail, intimidation, extortion, and even murder. Everyone at the company, including the president, Charles Gracen, are oblivious to his dark side.”

According to Adrian Pasdar there is a reboot in the works.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5kUPGS3gEZqK4dQBtb2s7x8KQR2fLwFT

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

What’s even stranger is that there was a feature-length episode released in 2009, a full 5 years after the show ended.

And it was HORRENDOUS.

YMB
Nov 8, 2009

in an unceremonious way
Recently came across Lookwell, a 1991 Conan O'Brien / Robert Smigel pilot that stars Adam West as a delusional actor who thinks his prior roles qualify him to be a real-life crime fighting detective. Sharp writing (as expected given the creators) and West's performance is a beautiful self-satire. As with many things, too beautiful for this world and slightly ahead of its time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IraqNhvvpUU

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lookwell

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

YMB posted:

Recently came across Lookwell, a 1991 Conan O'Brien / Robert Smigel pilot that stars Adam West ...

That reminded me that Andy Richter Controls the Universe was a show which I absolutely loved.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Hrvstmn31 posted:

check out pushing daisies its made the same guy in the same style. it also was cancelled =(

the cancelled tv show im the most mad about is santa clarita diet. great show with a meh netflix trailer and meh name that they cancelled and didnt even give them a couple episodes to idk not end on a cliff hanger.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

snergle posted:

check out pushing daisies its made the same guy in the same style. it also was cancelled =(

the cancelled tv show im the most mad about is santa clarita diet. great show with a meh netflix trailer and meh name that they cancelled and didnt even give them a couple episodes to idk not end on a cliff hanger.

SCD is one of those shows where every episode has at least one scene that has me just absolutely losing it laughing. The improvement from season to season was huge, too, which says a lot when it started really good.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

AFewBricksShy posted:

That reminded me that Andy Richter Controls the Universe was a show which I absolutely loved.

Loved both this and Wondershowzen, which I associate with each other but have trouble remembering if it’s because they were in the same time block on MTV2 or if there’s some writing connection between them.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

SCD is one of those shows where every episode has at least one scene that has me just absolutely losing it laughing. The improvement from season to season was huge, too, which says a lot when it started really good.

The first couple episodes kinda sucked but they set up a very steady, continuous rising action where every single episode for the first two seasons gets bigger and better. The season two finale was incredible TV. The third season didn't quite manage to keep it up but it still plateaued at a very nice place.

If we're bitching about Netflix cancellations, Friends From College is my favorite comedy of the last decade that never took off. I think it had some issues of not quite knowing what it was supposed to be but what it wound up being was hilarious. The second season got retooled somewhat after the first season got panned and wasn't quite as tight, but still had a lot of great bits.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A one season show from a couple of years ago that I liked was Making History. It starred Adam Pally as the janitor of a small New England college who discovers that his father invented a time travel duffel bag. He uses it to go back to Revolutionary War times and just kind of hang out and make himself look big by stealing modern day pop culture and pretending he invented it. He's joined by a history professor and Paul Revere's daughter and they just kind of screw around in time meeting historical figures played by comedians.

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

Pastry of the Year posted:

I had read about Kolchak for years, but had no way of watching it until some kind soul digitized the episodes they'd taped off of a long-defunct cable channel called Trio. (It's a great show, by the way.) There was a really interesting time to be alive, as an old media junkie, between the advent of BitTorrent and the serious influx of fan-uploaded out-of-print TV to YouTube, where people were just digitizing whatever they had taped and bundling it into torrents, and I think there were probably three straight years or so during which I was never not downloading things and offloading them to external media just as fast as I could. A torrent could be seeded one day and dead the next, and some people got really possessive and weird about "I have this and you don't, so here are some hoops for you to jump through before I'll consider sharing it [again]".

Almost all the media I gobbled up eventually got nice, clean DVD releases or showed up on one streaming service or another, making those old rips basically obsolete — but they were like treasure at the time.

That was basically Good Eats for me, last I looked there's no good way to either own it for a less than absurd amount of dosh or watch earlier episodes in more than 240p.

snergle posted:

Unanswered cliffhangers are the bane of my existence.

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?

AFewBricksShy posted:

And that reminds me of Andy Barker, P.I.

Created by Conan O'Brien, Andy Richter plays an accountant who gets mistaken for a P.I. and ends up taking and solving the case.

It was only 6 episodes long but I remember it being pretty enjoyable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dowkUOlQokE

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Hrvstmn31 posted:

Unanswered cliffhangers are the bane of my existence.

That's one of the reasons I really liked Bojack Horseman and Kidding: both of those shows were cancelled but the showrunners were given enough notice that they managed to wrap up all the major (and minor, in the case of BH) plotlines before the end.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

That's one of the reasons I really liked Bojack Horseman and Kidding: both of those shows were cancelled but the showrunners were given enough notice that they managed to wrap up all the major (and minor, in the case of BH) plotlines before the end.

Bojack had been winding down for a season even before the cancellation. I’m pretty sure that it only would have gone for one more season tops if it hadn’t ended with 7.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Bojack had been winding down for a season even before the cancellation. I’m pretty sure that it only would have gone for one more season tops if it hadn’t ended with 7.

They had planned for 8 seasons AFAIK, but were only given one season after 5 to wrap up 3 seasons worth of plot that had already been planned out.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

They had planned for 8 seasons AFAIK, but were only given one season after 5 to wrap up 3 seasons worth of plot that had already been planned out.

jfc I like Bojack but I can't imagine stringing it out that long would have been any good

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Yeah it ended pretty quick but I don't really feel like it needed a lot more space than it got.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, the final season was right as it was getting to the “alright, let’s wrap this up” point. I don’t know what they could have added that wouldn’t have been dragging everything else out.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Was watching an old Bojack Horseman episode yesterday and saw them referencing a show called John From Cincinnati. Looked.....eh. Was shown directly after The Sopranos, but flopped and was cancelled after just 10 episodes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_from_Cincinnati

Also randomly remembered that Cavemen existed, a show similar to Wonderfalls in that most of the recorded episodes went unaired:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavemen_(TV_series)

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

[quote="Poo In An Alleyway" post="517851726"]
Was watching an old Bojack Horseman episode yesterday and saw them referencing a show called John From Cincinnati. Looked.....eh. Was shown directly after The Sopranos, but flopped and was cancelled after just 10 episodes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_from_Cincinnati

The reason I remember John from Cincinnati is it directly led to Deadwood being cancelled so Milch could work on it instead. We finally got a Deadwood movie but it was fantastic and should have kept going at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I really enjoyed reading the thread and learning about some of the more :psyduck: things that made it to air. Here are a couple of contributions:

Automan: a reverse Tron (from the creators of Tron) with a "hologram" cop created in our world. Apparently cost $1M per episode in 1983, starring... the son of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz? Sure, why not. I think it may have actually looked good at the time, but the ratings weren't exactly great and it went away after 12 episodes. There's an overview here, but I suggest watching the first few minutes of this instead to get a feeling for it (super-low volume warning):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH5TDoOXKvU

Návštěvníci (The Visitors): this one's probably more forgotten than failed, mostly because it was an early 80s Czechoslovak sci-fi series. Watch the first few minutes of the show here for a mix of Doctor Who, Battlestar Galactica, :kstarehair:, and few brief :nws: nudity shots added because ???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wm3UTVutDI

I barely remember the show myself (I only caught it in reruns in 90s :tito: and completely out of order) but the Wikipedia synopsis is great:

quote:

In the 25th century — more precisely, in the year 2484 — people live in a peaceful world. Thus, mankind is horrified when CML (Central Brain of Mankind), the main supercomputer managing the fate of humankind and Earth, announces an upcoming disaster. It has spotted a huge space object on a collision course with Earth. The impact is unavoidable, and the prediction is that a significant part of the Earth will be destroyed.

But there is hope. Professor Filip, biographer of the greatest physicist ever, Adam Bernau, offers a plan to save mankind: time travel to the past. Adam Bernau was a genius mathematician and physicist of the 20th and 21st centuries, and winner of the Nobel Prize. In his memoirs, Bernau stated that in his childhood he wrote down in his notebook a short formula that would allow the moving of whole continents, worlds and planets. This may save the Earth.

Just in case you decide to... uh, learn Czech and track down and watch the entire series, I'll spoiler the post-time travel shenanigans resolution:

quote:

Mr Drchlík notices the Central Brain standing asymmetrically and fixes this with a wooden wedge, and suddenly the Central Brain realizes an error in its calculation. The whole expedition had been unnecessary.

I love it.