Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Trabant posted:

Automan: a reverse Tron (from the creators of Tron) with a "hologram" cop created in our world. Apparently cost $1M per episode in 1983, starring... the son of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz? Sure, why not. I think it may have actually looked good at the time, but the ratings weren't exactly great and it went away after 12 episodes.
I loved Automan. The early 80's had a few shows where computers/technology were the superheroes; Knight Rider was maybe the most well-known one, but there was also Whiz Kids, where a teenage computer nerd and his pals have adventures typically involving solving crimes via computer hacking. It was a time when computers were relatively new and people weren't really aware of what they could and couldn't do, so the stories probably seem outlandish today. It only lasted 1 season, but it was good fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Siberia's been mentioned once already. Only got the one series, which is a shame, since it would have been funny seeing them tying all the batshit insane stuff that kept happening into a coherent plot. Reality tv show? yeah, great place to start. Aliens? yup, loads. Time travel too. And magic. And the entire thing can be a massive conspiracy! Just keep throwing stuff in there!

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Also just remembered Aftermath, a Sci-fi channel show centered on just about all major apocalypse scenarios happening at the same time. Only got a season and ended on a cliff hanger but still, it was fun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aftermath_(2016_TV_series)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5797772/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9N8K9UMYcQ

f/e: apparently the series is up on youtube

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Siberia kicked rear end.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

2 more: fuckin V Wars, and Helix, both about antarctic viruses that turn people into monsters. Helix was the better show by like a lot, but V wars was dumb fun. drat it why does everything cool go away

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Stark Raving Mad from 1999-2000, with Tony Shalhoub and Neil Patrick Harris. I remember it being fun as hell, but apparently it was completely memoryholed. When I went looking for it a few years ago, all I managed to find were some VHS rips.

VR5 was already mentioned, but about the same period there was a miniseries called Wild Palms which was a sci-fi show about (amongst other things) media manipulation around an election. Featured Bebe Neuwirth.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

evobatman posted:

Stark Raving Mad from 1999-2000, with Tony Shalhoub and Neil Patrick Harris. I remember it being fun as hell, but apparently it was completely memoryholed. When I went looking for it a few years ago, all I managed to find were some VHS rips.

VR5 was already mentioned, but about the same period there was a miniseries called Wild Palms which was a sci-fi show about (amongst other things) media manipulation around an election. Featured Bebe Neuwirth.

Wild Palms was great. It was based off a comic strip but took it in wild new directions, ending up with up age-old plots, VR, media, swapped children, dreams ...

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
In 1988 Disney released a 2 part pilot for a young adult, action sci-fi series called Earth Star Voyager. It had some wild, big budget sets for the time and some flashy model work. Also, the intro music was pure 80's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFgLL8EN71I

In 2088, Earth is polluted to hell and gone and so a crew of young people are sent to recon a far away planet as a suitable home for the human race.

It aired as the Disney Sunday Movie on ABC for two weeks in a row but was never picked up as a full series. Disney pretty much refuses to admit that it existed at all despite a ton of marketing back in the late 80's.

Penitent has a new favorite as of 09:21 on Sep 23, 2021

Professor Spatula
Apr 16, 2007

evobatman posted:

poo poo, I came here to mention that! Tony Shalhoub was like some dark and tortured writer and NPH was his straight-laced agent or something.

Of the few network shows I've watched in recent years, the sitcom The Grinder was pretty good in its first season but then got axed. Rob Lowe was a former TV-lawyer who retired and started working at the family law firm, with ensuing hijinks. Rob Lowe did a great job hamming it up and Tim Olyphant had some guest spots.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

This may or may not be the right place for it, since it was so recent, but I'm still pretty angry about Lodge 49. Failed, but not forgotten.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

ReidRansom posted:

This may or may not be the right place for it, since it was so recent, but I'm still pretty angry about Lodge 49. Failed, but not forgotten.

I was writing a post about this show a few weeks ago, then deleted it because I felt like that was admitting to myself it's really dead.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQHZWCkcuH4

In GBS' white whale thread, I've been trying to figure out a mid-1990s sitcom scene.

Grandpa is watching his grandson one night, the same night a big boxing match is on PPV. Grandpa has been looking forward to this and has everything ready to go. Right at bell time, the grandson gets caught on the fridge or on top of it and needs his grandfather's help getting down. Grandpa does this as fast as possible, but by the time he gets back to the TV, the fight is over. Immediate first round knockout.

He at least wants to see the instant replay, but something distracts him there, too.

I was thinking it might be Shaky Ground. Wiki has details of some episodes and one is boxing. Youtube has some rips of some episodes, including the boxing one described. It is not that episode. I'm not 100% convinced that there wasn't another boxing episode later in the series.

I've gone through all the primetime schedules for the 1990s and can't find anything else that has a similar lineup of characters. I'm pretty sure grandpa was recurring because I think he had a girlfriend in this episode or another one.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

mysterious frankie posted:

I was writing a post about this show a few weeks ago, then deleted it because I felt like that was admitting to myself it's really dead.

L. Marvin Metz will live forever.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Remembered one: There was a "reality show" that aired late at night in Germany, in the 90s, on RTL Zwei. It was a bunch of mice let loose in a giant dollhouse with their food and water placed out in the yard. It was just an hour or so of hidden camera footage of these mice going about their mousey business. It was more entertaining than Big Brother.

I can find no evidence that this show existed, but I watched it every chance I got as a kid. Someone else has to have seen it and remembers it.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

Penitent posted:

In 1988 Disney released a 2 part pilot for a young adult, action sci-fi series called Earth Star Voyager. It had some wild, big budget sets for the time and some flashy model work. Also, the intro music was pure 80's.

In 2088, Earth is polluted to hell and gone and so a crew of young people are sent to recon a far away planet as a suitable home for the human race.

It aired as the Disney Sunday Movie on ABC for two weeks in a row but was never picked up as a full series. Disney pretty much refuses to admit that it existed at all despite a ton of marketing back in the late 80's.

Holy poo poo - I remember watching this and loving it! I waited and waited for this to get picked up as a series, but it never happened.

minato posted:

I loved Automan. The early 80's had a few shows where computers/technology were the superheroes; Knight Rider was maybe the most well-known one, but there was also Whiz Kids, where a teenage computer nerd and his pals have adventures typically involving solving crimes via computer hacking. It was a time when computers were relatively new and people weren't really aware of what they could and couldn't do, so the stories probably seem outlandish today. It only lasted 1 season, but it was good fun.

Loved Whiz Kids!

And that memory shook loose this gem from the same time period - The Wizard https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090547/?ref_=ttep_ep_tt

"Simon McKay is a scientist who worked for the U.S. Government on various projects. One day he left and disappeared for a few years. He resurfaced as a toy maker. The government wanting to make sure no one uses his intelligence against the U.S. assigns one of their best agents Alex Jagger to protect him."

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Biplane posted:

2 more: fuckin V Wars, and Helix, both about antarctic viruses that turn people into monsters. Helix was the better show by like a lot, but V wars was dumb fun. drat it why does everything cool go away

I got some seriously bad news about antarctica and real life

ReidRansom posted:

And Wayne. And The Mick.

:sigh:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Biplane posted:

Hm, I thought Helix was an exercise in wasted potential.

But! Cold locations? Mysterious infections? Dennis Quaid Stanley Tucci? Have I got a show for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egy3n-7DQAU

First season was great. Second kinda-sorta went off the rails. Haven't watched the third, but I will... eventually.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Trabant posted:

Hm, I thought Helix was an exercise in wasted potential.

But! Cold locations? Mysterious infections? Dennis Quaid Stanley Tucci? Have I got a show for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egy3n-7DQAU

First season was great. Second kinda-sorta went off the rails. Haven't watched the third, but I will... eventually.

Dang, this looks dope! Never heard of it but I will check it out :thumbsup:

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
I got a different take to Trabant. Fortitude is by no means a good show. But it's a crazy one that just gets crazier and crazier as it goes along and is worth watching in the sense of I cannot believe this is happening ...

Like there's a murder, mysterious fossils in ice, corporate shenanigans, fishing hijinks. domestic drama, dangerous infections, politics, infidelity, criminals in hiding, comedic cops, anguished cop on the edge, mysterious research ...

And none of this stuff is resolved, it just keeps getting added to.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Speaking of unresolved things! Residue, a supernatural british horror (but I repeat myself) 3 episode miniseries that never got any follow up. I thought it was very good personally, had an extremely hosed up vibe.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

nonathlon posted:

Like there's a murder, mysterious fossils in ice, corporate shenanigans, fishing hijinks. domestic drama, dangerous infections, politics, infidelity, criminals in hiding, comedic cops, anguished cop on the edge, mysterious research ...

You forgot the feeder fetishist. Or the.... self-castration shamanism.

But yes, the general approach seems to be more plot threads = more better. Now I'm really curious what lunacy they introduced in S3.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
There's only so much of Fortitude you can follow. There's not a plot, but a dozen independent plot threads.

I especially love the hard-bitten Norwegian cop (with the heavy Scottish accent) who seems to spend every scene looking for an opportunity to totally lose it and wig out. Even when he's in the background of a scene, he dominates it with his intensity.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Did anyone mention Photon yet? Live action show based on some lazer tag toy, I haven't really watched much beyond the intro but the craziest thing about it is that DiC contracted out model/prop work to the Japanese studio Artmic, which was behind several 80s anime like Bubblegum Crisis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PIMquC33X0

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just remembered a super fun show that had one season on HBO a couple of years ago and by this point isn't getting any more, Los Espookys. A show about a group of horror movie fans who start a business where they fake supernatural events. An example of the sense of humor is how one of the characters starts dating a guy online who says he's a Spanish Prince, when she finally meets him he reveals that he's been lying the entire time and is only a Duke.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
The final few episodes of Fortitude go places.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

Just remembered a super fun show that had one season on HBO a couple of years ago and by this point isn't getting any more, Los Espookys. A show about a group of horror movie fans who start a business where they fake supernatural events. An example of the sense of humor is how one of the characters starts dating a guy online who says he's a Spanish Prince, when she finally meets him he reveals that he's been lying the entire time and is only a Duke.

My favourite is the American ambassador (imagine Elle Woods from Legally Blonde put through a particle accelerator) who just hangs out with her evil self after being trapped in a cursed mirror.

And it is getting a second season! Progress has probably been delayed because of COVID and it being a low-budget show for HBO.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Stroker and Hoop wasn't too bad compared to a lot of the poo poo that was running concurrent with it on Adult Swim. Even the car was less racist than what passes for it today!

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Sometimes I feel like I was the only fan of
Legend, a one-season Sci-fi western from UPN’s first days.

It had Richard Dean Anderson (MacGyver) playing a dime novelist who ends up taking on the persona of his heroic Batman-esque character named Nicodemus Legend with gadgets created by John DeLancie (Q from Star Trek TNG).

I know am absolutely a sucker for “western + whatever” mashups but I still don’t get why it didn’t take off. I should go see if there’s anywhere to re-watch it and see if it holds up.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

It had Richard Dean Anderson (MacGyver Jack O'Neill)

:colbert:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

:hmmyes:

Also, I'll never not think of

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Sometimes I feel like I was the only fan of
Legend, a one-season Sci-fi western from UPN’s first days.

It had Richard Dean Anderson (MacGyver) playing a dime novelist who ends up taking on the persona of his heroic Batman-esque character named Nicodemus Legend with gadgets created by John DeLancie (Q from Star Trek TNG).

I know am absolutely a sucker for “western + whatever” mashups but I still don’t get why it didn’t take off. I should go see if there’s anywhere to re-watch it and see if it holds up.

I watched this too. But I remember being disappointed it wasn't more like Adventures of Briscoe County, Jr., which also belongs in this thread.

Dixie Cousins: Brisco, put me down!

Brisco County Jr.: Alright, you look bad in a wig and you were too easy to find.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

tribbledirigible posted:

I watched this too. But I remember being disappointed it wasn't more like Adventures of Briscoe County, Jr., which also belongs in this thread.

Dixie Cousins: Brisco, put me down!

Brisco County Jr.: Alright, you look bad in a wig and you were too easy to find.
Brisco County was definitely great and I was sad to see it go. I thought Jack of All Trades was going to be a good follow up but I don’t remember it being nearly as good.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

I really liked Becoming a God in Central Florida. It was renewed for a second season but then the pandemic hit and evidently it wasn't working out and now it's permanently canceled and no one seems to give enough of a poo poo about it to try to get a second season going :(

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Ralph Crammed In posted:

I really liked Becoming a God in Central Florida. It was renewed for a second season but then the pandemic hit and evidently it wasn't working out and now it's permanently canceled and no one seems to give enough of a poo poo about it to try to get a second season going :(

Yeah, that was a good one. A lot of great character actors and by the end of the season, the show was performing a pretty intense juggling act I would have loved to have seen resolve.

It seemed like they were taking their cues from the really brutal and aggressive MLMs and their leaders (all MLMs are predatory and cultlike, but there are degrees of magnitude within anything, and if you haven't read about Holiday Magic and its insane dirtbag founder who fortunatelyǂ perished in a plane crash of his own making, oh ho ho ho boy) which, honestly, I feel like a lot of media until relatively recently has been extremely tenderfooted about satirizing / exposing.

ǂ I know we've got a thing about bloodlust posting here, and that's fair enough, but he was exactly the sort of hyper-aggressive far-right moneybag that could and would have gone on to do the sort of cultural damage that, well *gestures broadly at everything*

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Year of the Rabbit, the period piece cop comedy from Matt Berry, also got killed by the pandemic.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Cape yet! A campy and dumb show about a city's one honest cop framed for murder, who falls in with a circus/group of bank robbers lead by Keith David and becomes the Cape! Using a specially treated cape as a whip-like weapon and learning stage magician skills that allow him to basically teleport, he fights to save the city from the clutches of evil industrialist Peter Fleming and his eviler supervillain split personality, Chess.

The main dude was bland and clichés abounded, but it could be goofy fun. There was a scene where a raccoon robs a bank. Will he get to see his wife and wide-eyed, Cape-loving son again? What is the mysterious secret behind the corruption-exposing blogger, Orwell? (She's Fleming's daughter) Will the Cape defeat such memorable baddies as Scales (who was basically just Killer Croc), Razer, the Lich, and Dice?

Community had a a fake clip show episode, aired the same season but after The Cape finished its run, with a subplot about tracking a character's journey from enthusiasm, to denial of its impending cancellation, to acceptance. It's where the "Six seasons and a movie!" running joke comes from, which probably had a greater cultural footprint than the show itself. They riffed Keith David for it when he guest starred in a later episode.

They had a contest where viewers could design a villain, and they actually aired the winner in a blink-and-you'll-miss-it bumper with the final episode. It was a guy called Firebug, who had a gas mask and flamethrower and he's Firefly from Batman. Literally just Firefly from Batman without a jetpack.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I loved The Cape :sigh:

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...
I distinctly remember this show, because it led into The Littlest Hobo, The Tommy Hunter Show and I'm pretty sure Hawaii 5-0 back in the day, or at least I remember those shows around it.
Late 70s or early, early 80s. Might have even been an Australian show ported over to Canadian TV.
These people had a zoo and would use the animals to solve problems. So if someone had a truck stuck in a mudhole, there would be this big production where the person would call into the zoo, the zookeeper would answer the phone, a soaring musical number would play and they'd wrangle up some elephants and a couple oxen and go out and pull the guy out of the mudhole. It was like a fire department going out to put out a fire. And the whole show revolved around how kind the zookeepers were to their animals and all that.
Not Steve Irwin, he would have been, like, 10.
One of the final episodes, one of the family's kids got kidnapped by poachers or something, so they broke out the panthers and lions and went to rescue her. Whole lotta dudes got horribly mauled, off camera, of course. but I remembered being just terrified of the whole idea.
I know this exists, because I remember the elephants marching out and the theme somehow and The Littlest Hobo on right after. I was maybe six or seven when this show was on.
So yeah, any ideas?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

acejackson42 posted:

So yeah, any ideas?

Could it be Daktari?

quote:

The show follows the work of Dr. Tracy, his daughter Paula (Cheryl Miller), and his staff, who frequently protect animals from poachers and local officials. Tracy's pets, a cross-eyed lion named Clarence and a chimpanzee named Judy, were also popular characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I rewatch "Don't Trust The Bitch in Apartment 23" about once a year.

Easily one of Krysten Ritter's beat roles and James Van Der Break plays himself!

It's hilarious and has Eric Andre before he blew up.