Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

The sci fi channel in the 90s was really good.

It really was yeah. Our family had satellite really early so I got exposed to a whole bunch of stuff like early cartoon network, nickelodeon and the Sci-fi channel.
Got my first anime exposure there through robotech and other stuff. Was a bit too young to stay up late and watch the movies so I never got to watch X2 and X3 that I saw trailers for a whole bunch.
But did get my MST3K exposure through it.
Was really sad when they shut down their European broadcasting. But that was the beginning of the end for that channel I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
It was never a TV show, just the intro to one that never existed, but if you have never seen it, you need to watch (or re-watch) Too Many Cooks. NSFW.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Erghh posted:

Sci-fi chat caused a memory of Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future. 80s mostly Canadian Sci-fi kids show that was supposed to work with an "interactive" toy line. Canned for ultimately being too violent and heavy for saturday mornings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Power_and_the_Soldiers_of_the_Future

I loved Captain Power as a kid. Watched the reruns in the 90s on YTV and then it just ends with them killing Pilot and was like “wait, that’s it? What the hell?” Like she gets straight up goddamn murdered, and then the show ends. Always wanted a season 2 and the story ideas they had for it sounded pretty cool.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Comstar posted:

It was never a TV show, just the intro to one that never existed, but if you have never seen it, you need to watch (or re-watch) Too Many Cooks. NSFW.

Don't sleep on this, lol. Its special.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Erghh posted:

Sci-fi chat caused a memory of Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future. 80s mostly Canadian Sci-fi kids show that was supposed to work with an "interactive" toy line. Canned for ultimately being too violent and heavy for saturday mornings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Power_and_the_Soldiers_of_the_Future

Haha, I remember being super excited about the ideas of toys with a TV tie-in but 4-year-old me never quite understood why we only got to watch the show the one time.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i had the (beaten up, second hand) captain power toys and let me tell you: they completely kicked rear end

like its just a fun novelty now and not that impressive but if you were a starfighter-obsessed kid firmly in the demographic in the VHS era then holy poo poo

you could really only do each mission a handful of times, because this is the problem with all 'interactive' VHS stuff, but given the attention span of a child this isn't really a problem

wankel13b
Jan 23, 2005

quak

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. Another early 90's casualty. Bruce Campbell in a steampunk wild-western was well received and highly praised but didn't achieve desirable viewing numbers. This series was developed because Fox wanted a show that was in a similar style to Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and was one of the last television shows to be filmed on Warner Bros. Western backlot.

I really liked that show, too, but someone LOVED it, because they named a restaurant after it.

http://briscocounty.net/

It's mostly just generic Western-themed, but there's show-related items on the menu, like Lord Bowler's Dinner Plate.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

nonathlon posted:

That show is burnt into my memory because of an article I once read about vampire media, which observed there is always a scene where someone explains how, actually, vampires are real but, actually, they work like this.

Sure enough, Kindred is littered with this, because they've got a dozen different clans and types of vampires to explain: "Hey, how can you walk around in sunlight? I thought that killed vampires." "That's because I'm a ..."

The main thing I remember about Kindred is that the Nosferatu, the vampire clan cursed to be so hideous that merely being seen by humans is considered a violation of the Masquerade, were just normal guys... but BALD!

I've forgotten everything else, but that one thing was pretty funny, as I remember it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
There was a TVIV thread for an old 90s sci fi show a few years ago and it looked amazing in the best way but I'll be damned if I can remember the thread or what the show as called. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

i had the (beaten up, second hand) captain power toys and let me tell you: they completely kicked rear end

like its just a fun novelty now and not that impressive but if you were a starfighter-obsessed kid firmly in the demographic in the VHS era then holy poo poo

you could really only do each mission a handful of times, because this is the problem with all 'interactive' VHS stuff, but given the attention span of a child this isn't really a problem

The fun thing about the Captain Power ship toys is that you didn't need the TV show and could just use two ships against each other.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Anyone remember a Sci-Fi show from the 90’s called Space Above and Beyond?

I loved it when I was a kid, and I rewatched it a long long time ago and feeling like it still held up. I think I still have it on DVD and want to rewatch it again at some point. I just loved the characters I remember the laser effects being super awesome for the time.

Looking at the Wiki, Shirley Walker of Batman and Tiny Toons fame did the music so no wonder that part was good. One of the creators went on to eventually film…Dragonball Evolution. Yikes.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

The Black Stones posted:

I loved it when I was a kid, and I rewatched it a long long time ago and feeling like it still held up. I think I still have it on DVD and want to rewatch it again at some point. I just loved the characters I remember the laser effects being super awesome for the time.

Looking at the Wiki, Shirley Walker of Batman and Tiny Toons fame did the music so no wonder that part was good. One of the creators went on to eventually film…Dragonball Evolution. Yikes.

:colbert:

realtalk it had alot of cool moments like chiggy von richthofen, R. Lee Ermey, and Ray Butts

also didn't realize there were so many captain power fans in here, hell yeah :hf:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

muscles like this! posted:

The fun thing about the Captain Power ship toys is that you didn't need the TV show and could just use two ships against each other.

yeah, i eventually lost one of the pair to an overzealous neighborhood kid who tried to dodge and whacked it right into a heavy oak table

not like i would have kept up with the toys anyway but still: gently caress you, dustin

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

The Black Stones posted:

I remember enjoying this when it was first shown and highly disappointed that they didn't make another series as they ended things on a cliffhanger!

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/RetroNewsNow/status/1430673285763813382

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

CSPAM: The Trouble With Larry

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

It was either this or a sitcom with a very similar plot (maybe the protagonist had been held hostage for 10 years), where a large number of the jokes surrounded him having missed the 80s and so still acting like a guy from the 70s. Which from a distance you wonder if there was that much difference.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

nonathlon posted:

It was either this or a sitcom with a very similar plot (maybe the protagonist had been held hostage for 10 years), where a large number of the jokes surrounded him having missed the 80s and so still acting like a guy from the 70s. Which from a distance you wonder if there was that much difference.

Not a sitcom, but wasn't that the plot of Austin Powers? Only he was from the 60s.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Violet_Sky posted:

Not a sitcom, but wasn't that the plot of Austin Powers? Only he was from the 60s.

Similar, but there was definitely a TV series somewhere in the early 90s starring a Bronson Pinochet type who was acting like it was still the 70s. It's a tough thing to google for though.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Ark II ran for 15 episodes in 1976. In a post-apocalyptic 25th century, a team of 4 jump-suited scientists including a teenager and a chimpanzee roam the barren landscape in an RV that also launches an ATV. And there's a jetpack. Their mission: to reintroduce Civilization to the filthy, savage, backwards populace. The episodes end with a voiceover log entry summarizing the heavy-handed morality lesson of the week. It's a goofy time-capsule, I suppose, but I didn't find it that entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lj8z28Mshw

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Buttchocks posted:

Ark II ran for 15 episodes in 1976. In a post-apocalyptic 25th century, a team of 4 jump-suited scientists including a teenager and a chimpanzee roam the barren landscape in an RV that also launches an ATV. And there's a jetpack. Their mission: to reintroduce Civilization to the filthy, savage, backwards populace. The episodes end with a voiceover log entry summarizing the heavy-handed morality lesson of the week. It's a goofy time-capsule, I suppose, but I didn't find it that entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lj8z28Mshw

The same company also made Space Academy. Their spaceship, the Seeker, was the Ark II recycled.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Rome is one of my all-time favourite shows, it certainly wasn't a failure in terms of viewing figures or ratings but it didn't last for a third series. Five series were originally written and commissioned in a joint venture between HBO and the BBC, but HBO was only jointly funding the first two series and the BBC decided that they didn't want to bear the brunt of production costs for the rest of the shows run so promptly cancelled it. Somewhat thankfully, the people behind the show knew that the second series was going to be the last when they were halfway through producing it and rewrote three series of storylines in an effort to bring the series to a natural ending. I'm still a little annoyed that this series was cut short because HBO and the BBC didn't want to fund it anymore because despite its success. Shortly after this series was wrapped up, Game Of Thrones began development.

If you haven't watched Rome, watch Rome.

Lobotomy Bob
Jun 13, 2003

I liked Time Squad

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Does anyone remember The Odyssey miniseries from the 90's? I thought it ruled so hard my English teacher showed it to us. Bizarrely it was produced by Hallmark of all companies. I wanna watch it again but I suspect it's a lot cornier than I remember.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

grittyreboot posted:

Does anyone remember The Odyssey miniseries from the 90's? I thought it ruled so hard my English teacher showed it to us. Bizarrely it was produced by Hallmark of all companies. I wanna watch it again but I suspect it's a lot cornier than I remember.

The Armand Assante version? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHX1NCwkYA0

A little Hercules/Xena vibe.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I see reruns of Brisco County Jr. all the time on cable. The name made it sound like an old cop show so I never bothered to look. :eyepop:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Somehow Australian/Eastern European sci-fi collaborations made it to Norway a lot. Spellbinder, The Odyssey, Ocean Girl, The Girl From Tomorrow and so on.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Rome is one of my all-time favourite shows, it certainly wasn't a failure in terms of viewing figures or ratings but it didn't last for a third series. Five series were originally written and commissioned in a joint venture between HBO and the BBC, but HBO was only jointly funding the first two series and the BBC decided that they didn't want to bear the brunt of production costs for the rest of the shows run so promptly cancelled it. Somewhat thankfully, the people behind the show knew that the second series was going to be the last when they were halfway through producing it and rewrote three series of storylines in an effort to bring the series to a natural ending. I'm still a little annoyed that this series was cut short because HBO and the BBC didn't want to fund it anymore because despite its success. Shortly after this series was wrapped up, Game Of Thrones began development.

If you haven't watched Rome, watch Rome.

Seconding this, Rome is amazingly good.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Whybird posted:

Seconding this, Rome is amazingly good.

Carnivāle was another series produced by HBO that was commissioned in 2003 and only lasted two seasons. This was another series that had long term storylines written and planned but was cut short. In this instance, I can't really blame HBO for cancelling it as they asked the creator to reduce the price of each episode to $2,000,000 and was refused to negotiate and he decided to die on his hill.

quote:

The cancellation resulted in several story plot lines being unfinished, and outraged loyal viewers organized petitions and mailing drives to get the show renewed. This generated more than 50,000 emails to the network in a single weekend. Show creator Daniel Knauf was unconvinced of the success of such measures, but explained that proposed alternatives like selling Carnivāle to a competing network or spinning off the story were not possible because of HBO owning Carnivāle's plot and characters. At the same time, Knauf was hopeful that, given a strong enough fan base, HBO might reconsider the show's future and allow the continuation of the show in another medium; but because of the amount of unused story material he still had, Knauf did not favor finishing the Carnivāle story with a three-hour movie.

Knauf did not release a detailed run-down of intended future plots to fans, explaining that his stories are a collaboration of writers, directors and actors alike. He and the producers did, however, answer a few basic details about the immediate fate of major characters who were left in near-fatal situations in the final episode of Season 2. Knauf additionally provided in-depth information regarding the underlying fictional laws of nature that the writers had not been able to fully explore in the first two seasons. June 2007 however marked the first time that a comprehensive work of detailed character backgrounds was made public. Following a fundraising auction, Knauf offered fans a so-called "Pitch Document," a summary of Carnivāle's first season. This document was originally written in 2002 and 2003 to give the writers and the studio an idea about the series' intended plot, and answered many of the show's mysteries.

The first series of Carnivāle is worth a watch and if it was to end early then it should have ended then. The second series would have suffered a better fate if the series had continued.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

The Black Stones posted:

I was coming here to post about that specific show. It definitely held up better than a lot of 90s sci-fi shows, the money they spent on sets and effects really shows.

Some parts haven't aged that well, like the fascist takeover of the UN not being treated as that big of a deal but I did like how the aliens weren't outright evil. The corporation behind the colony program, Aerotech, gave them plenty of reasons to fear a human invasion.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Covington Cross aired for one short season in 1992. My whole family loved it and gathered regularly around the TV to watch, like something out of Ozzie and Harriet. Then one week we turned on the TV and it was no longer on the schedule, with no warning. :( Nobody I have mentioned it to IRL has ever heard of it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In the early 90s MTV had a live action thriller called Dead at 21. Jack Noseworthy played a young man who was part of a secret experiment that raised children's intelligence but would kill them when they turned 21. IIRC the season finale involved his character turning 21 and dying so they were kind of painted into a corner if they were going to do a season 2.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Recently remade to little fanfare and lukewarm critical reception in the US, the original UK show Utopia is a criminally underrated/unknown show. It's not particularly well-known in the UK, and gained essentially no traction in the states. It was cancelled because it simply wasn't particularly successful.

As far as TV shows go, Utopia is probably the most stylish show I've ever seen. It's definitely a little bit style over substance at points, but cinematographically/compositionally it's gorgeous. The music is also top-tier and very memorable. It's absolutely brutal/shocking viewing at times as well, with a lot of uncomfortable scenes.

It's available on Amazon Prime, but be warned that if you can access it another way, I recommend it because they have made a lot of editorial decisions to cut out certain parts.

Also, it feels almost more relevant than it did at release, what with climate change and a pandemic being key plot points.

Trailer (No spoilers, give a good flavour of the visual style and music):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJnN3WMwDsk

Opening scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOeeFajZtE4

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

wheatpuppy posted:

Covington Cross aired for one short season in 1992. My whole family loved it and gathered regularly around the TV to watch, like something out of Ozzie and Harriet. Then one week we turned on the TV and it was no longer on the schedule, with no warning. :( Nobody I have mentioned it to IRL has ever heard of it.

As a nerdy teenager who went through an intense Renn Faire phase, Covington Cross was the poo poo.

Also nthing Space: Above and Beyond, Brisco County, Jr, and all the other interesting 90s genre shows Fox killed before their time. I remember loving Strange Luck too, though I can't actually recall anything about the show now, other than it starring DB Sweeny, aka poor man's Paul Rudd.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC Strange Luck ended its first season by teasing a tie in to the X-Files but it got canned so nothing happened.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Jeza posted:

Recently remade to little fanfare and lukewarm critical reception in the US, the original UK show Utopia is a criminally underrated/unknown show. It's not particularly well-known in the UK, and gained essentially no traction in the states. It was cancelled because it simply wasn't particularly successful.

As far as TV shows go, Utopia is probably the most stylish show I've ever seen. It's definitely a little bit style over substance at points, but cinematographically/compositionally it's gorgeous. The music is also top-tier and very memorable. It's absolutely brutal/shocking viewing at times as well, with a lot of uncomfortable scenes.

It's available on Amazon Prime, but be warned that if you can access it another way, I recommend it because they have made a lot of editorial decisions to cut out certain parts.

Also, it feels almost more relevant than it did at release, what with climate change and a pandemic being key plot points.

Trailer (No spoilers, give a good flavour of the visual style and music):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJnN3WMwDsk

Opening scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOeeFajZtE4

The first series of Utopia is AWESOME.

The second series left me flat though.

baalaagaa
Apr 9, 2004
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia%27s_Naughtiest_Home_Videos

An adult version of Funniest Home Videos that the owner of the network found so terrible & offensive he had it pulled off the air during the broadcast & replaced with a Cheers rerun.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
If I could trim off 3-4 bad seasons of the simpsons and give it to the critic so it'd get about 100 episodes for syndication, I'd have done it in a heartbeat while the voice cast was all still alive.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

muscles like this! posted:

In the early 90s MTV had a live action thriller called Dead at 21. Jack Noseworthy played a young man who was part of a secret experiment that raised children's intelligence but would kill them when they turned 21. IIRC the season finale involved his character turning 21 and dying so they were kind of painted into a corner if they were going to do a season 2.

I watched this show but I remember very little about it. But apparently Lisa Dean Ryan was in it, and this reminds me of another short-lived show that she starred in: "Class of 96". It was about a group of college kids from different backgrounds, so many episodes deal with the differences in social status etc. A very young Gillian Anderson showed up in one episode, that's about the most memorable thing about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Milo and POTUS posted:

If I could trim off 3-4 bad seasons of the simpsons and give it to the critic so it'd get about 100 episodes for syndication, I'd have done it in a heartbeat while the voice cast was all still alive.

The Critic pulling a Babylon 5 with its cast deaths:

Doris Grau (Doris)
Christine Cavanaugh (Marty)
Charles Napier (Duke)
Russi Taylor (Penny)

Of those, 3 are in every episode, I think, and Russi Taylor was in most episodes of Season 2 as Penny.

Compared to The Simpsons, who've had a few actor deaths, Phil Hartman being the biggest, (and including Russi, too) but no deaths of the "core" cast of Dan, Julie, Nancy, Yeardly, Hank, or Harry.