Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Flying Zamboni posted:

I liked Invasion back when it was airing right after LOST. I can't remember much of it nowadays except for making me aware of how much William Fitchner rules but I was disappointed when it was cancelled after one season.

It was about a bunch of aliens who show up in a small town during a hurricane and start body snatching people. ABC basically stopped advertising the show for awhile because the hurricane-centric first episode aired a month after Katrina hit so it never really did well.

There were three shows that all started around the same time that were, at least initially, very similar in premise (aliens/monsters!)
Invasion
Surface
and...uhhh...some other one who's name I forgot that had Brent Spiner. Something like The Signal? (Edit: Looked it up and it was called Threshhold.)

I remember trying to watch all 3 initially, dropped off the third one right away, and ten eventually stopped watching Invasion, and kept up with Surface for most of its run...I think it only had the one season and was a cliffhanger? Something about genetic engineering and the new monsters wanting to take over the world?

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 14:56 on Aug 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Speaking of weird sci-fi shows in 90's Nickelodeon, they also had a weird remake of Land of the Lost that ran for a season.

I wasn't alive for the 70's version, so for a while this was the only Land of the Lost that I thought existed.
https://youtu.be/dmcx0PWPYj0

That into makes it seem like they're aren't any Sleestaks, and the T-Rex is the main threat, but there were, though I think they have them smarter then the original 70s version... They were more like an evil dinosaur Three Stooges. A "smart" leader and two dumber underlings.

Fake edit: Wikipedia tells me it was originally babe for ABC and Nick just picked it up later for reruns, and it actually had 2 seasons, though only 26 eps total so closer to a regular full season of most shows.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Tiggum posted:

I remember this being good, but I can't recall a single detail of the plot beyond the basic premise.

Same.

I remember watching the first episode or two, but can't recall details...maybe I'll try to give it a go.

That also reminded me of another "Police Procedural...but with a twist!" shows from a few years later.
Awake

Short story:
A detective (played by Jason Isaacs, Mr.Malfoy himself) gets into a car accident, and ever since, he lives every day twice. Once where he's in a world where his wife survived the accident and his teenage son died, and then he goes to bed and wakes up in the other world where his wife died but the son lived.

At first you're wondering if one/both are all in his mind, did HE die and this is some form of Hell/Purgatory, coma dream?

In both worlds he's in therapy (ostensibly just for grief counseling, the people at the police station don't know about his split realities.) though each one it's a different therapist. He tells the therapists about his "split worlds", and admits it's entirely possible one of the worlds is fake and he's dreaming it, but that's ok, because he'd rather have this existence where, at least in some capacity, both his wife and son are alive and he gets to see them both rather than have to choose one or the other. So one of the therapists, in an effort to "prove" the world he's in currently is the real one, prints off something and has him start reading it. As he does so, he realize it's the Constitution, and asks what the point is...the therapist says he probably hasn't memorized the Constitution, right? So if he's reading it out loud, and it's not gibberish/non-sense like most "written things" are in dreams, then clearly THIS world is the real one.

And then he gets upset at her, because, again, he prefers his split worlds and doesn't want to have to face any facts about which one might be real or not.

I never finished it, life got in the way, and last time I thought about it it looks like it's vanished from any streaming service, other than to pay for rental/per episode on iTunes/Amazon.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

The Mole was the only reality show I really liked because they'd say what what was edited and for what purpose at the end of the episode.

Plus it was hosted by a not-very-famous Anderson Cooper.

It's on Netflix!

Speaking of mostly forgotten reality TV shows. My personal favorite... Joe Schmoe.

A fake reality show similar to Big Brother where everyone lived in a mansion and did challenges, except that all but one guy was an actor playing a role (and one of the first starring roles for Kristen Wiig and David Hornsby (Cricket, from IASIP) as a couple of the fake contestants.)

The "non actor" (the titular Joe Schmoe, real name Matt Gould) was always going to win, and all t he challenges, the "eviction" ceremonies, etc.. were all so over the top. 4

quote:

at the end of every episode an eviction ceremony was conducted where each contestant voted to evict someone, and the person with the most votes was eliminated. After the written finish was executed, the actor in question would take a plate with their face painted on it and give it to Garman, who would then state a rhyming couplet that went "Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, (name), you're dead to us" then throw the plate into the fireplace, breaking it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

If I could trim off 3-4 bad seasons of the simpsons and give it to the critic so it'd get about 100 episodes for syndication, I'd have done it in a heartbeat while the voice cast was all still alive.

The Critic pulling a Babylon 5 with its cast deaths:

Doris Grau (Doris)
Christine Cavanaugh (Marty)
Charles Napier (Duke)
Russi Taylor (Penny)

Of those, 3 are in every episode, I think, and Russi Taylor was in most episodes of Season 2 as Penny.

Compared to The Simpsons, who've had a few actor deaths, Phil Hartman being the biggest, (and including Russi, too) but no deaths of the "core" cast of Dan, Julie, Nancy, Yeardly, Hank, or Harry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Just about the only thing I remember from "The Cape" was the titular "Cape" himself had to sneak into a high-rise building, and they determined the ONLY way to do that was teach him to tightrope walk from the building next door in, like, a day.

There was no reason he had to tightrope walk (and I want to say without a harness, even.) Also...how did they get the cable to the building? Maybe they used a batman style "Grapple gun," I can't remember, but there's no reason he couldn't just have done some sort of rappelling-esque type of thing. Just a harness attached to the cable that he hands-over-hands his way to the other building...no risk of falling, no need to learn a kill that takes years to develop in less than a week, etc...

Another series that had two season, but they were short seasons and I'm still mad it was canceled, Ugly Americans.

Suck MY balls.