Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Athanatos posted:

I mentioned it a bit in my South Beach post. Another in the long line of "robot cop" failures. Almost Human (2013)

I did really enjoy it. The car banter was the best part. The storylines were relatively weak and generic, but the world was cool and the acting was solid.

Oh yeah the pilot owned and the leads were great. But yeah the storylines after that were dull and cookie cutter, felt like they were lifted from a 90s FMV game or something. I thought the world building was especially weak, like they didn’t have a set document about what the future world was like so it was pretty much our world.

Lord Hydronium posted:

Speaking of Jonathan Banks, he was one of the main villains in the extremely underrated Day Break. It was a Groundhog Day type mystery starring Taye Diggs as a cop who's been framed for murder. There were some neat twists on the time loop formula, like how all his wounds carried over from day to day, and he could sometimes cause permanent changes in the loop. It only aired for one season, but it was a self contained plot, so everything got wrapped up and it didn't really need anything more. It just seems to have been forgotten after that; it got a DVD release that's now out of print, and doesn't seem to be streaming anywhere.

Oh man I really liked that show when it was airing, I had no idea they made the remaining episodes available online. The part where the injuries carried over was a nice twist.

Playmakers (2003) was an oddity, ESPN decided to try making a drama about an NFL expy where players dealt with serious issues in an attempt to diversify their channel to not only be dependent on airing games. The show was surprisingly critical of football culture and handled with strong storytelling and acting. Plots included:

-elaborate method of beating a drug test
-a player dealing with guilt after crippling another player with a big hit
-a linebacker being told by his doctor that the weight he has to maintain to stay a player is killing him, but he resigns himself to that as it's his livelihood
-players with with domestic violence issues
-A gay player trying to decide whether to come out as league culture is so unfriendly

It was an excellent show and took on serious issues, and the NFL was furious ESPN put this on the air and amid hints that could hurt ESPN getting the rights to air games it was cancelled after one season.

Kingpin (2003), an NBC show about a Mexican drug cartel that only got 6 episodes. Not a lot of info about it online but it did an excellent job creating believable characters and a lived in world. I remember a scene where some low level gangsters are supposed to be guarding their boss in the hospital, but when trouble arrives they're clowning around with a wheelchair instead of paying attention. I remember that stood out to me as yeah that would make sense bored low level guys probably wouldn't be wearing sunglasses and standing at attention for hours. The creator David Mills went on to help write The Wire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU