Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!
One I still think about to this day is Journeyman from 2007. It's like Quantum Leap, but much more complex and nuanced. Dan is a reporter in San Francisco, when one day, he zaps back to 1997. He's not sure what in the hell is going on, but he manages to save someone from committing suicide by trolley. Dan zaps back to the present realizing he's changed history. However, he's also realizes that he's been gone for a period of time (and it doesn't quite line up with the amount of time he spent in the past). Dan begins to understand that he's being sent to the past to make the present better, but he also has to manage his personal life. You also learn later that he battled gambling addiction in his past which he confronts on occasion. Plus, his brother's late wife (which used to be Dan's girlfriend) can also time travel and, as their jumps intersect, she ends up showing Dan the ropes of time travel.

I cannot recommend this show enough. The drama was well done. The "mystery box" element wasn't overdone at all and balanced out the episodic format pretty well. Unfortunately, it only lasted one season because of the writers' strike. The only trailer I could find looks like it was recorded by a potato.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtIqfdLntwE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!
I don't know why, but this show pops up in my head every now and then. Nearly Departed only ran for a few episodes. It had Eric Idle and Caroline McWilliams as a couple that just died and they're living in a house that was just bought by a family (where only the grandpa can see and hear them). I remember it because I was obsessed with Beetlejuice and the show's premise is kinda lifted from it. Plus, it had Eric Idle and I thought he was funny. The show's theme song literally explains everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2roa-VT-9U

volts5000 has a new favorite as of 23:11 on Nov 6, 2021