Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I really enjoyed reading the thread and learning about some of the more :psyduck: things that made it to air. Here are a couple of contributions:

Automan: a reverse Tron (from the creators of Tron) with a "hologram" cop created in our world. Apparently cost $1M per episode in 1983, starring... the son of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz? Sure, why not. I think it may have actually looked good at the time, but the ratings weren't exactly great and it went away after 12 episodes. There's an overview here, but I suggest watching the first few minutes of this instead to get a feeling for it (super-low volume warning):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH5TDoOXKvU

Návštěvníci (The Visitors): this one's probably more forgotten than failed, mostly because it was an early 80s Czechoslovak sci-fi series. Watch the first few minutes of the show here for a mix of Doctor Who, Battlestar Galactica, :kstarehair:, and few brief :nws: nudity shots added because ???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wm3UTVutDI

I barely remember the show myself (I only caught it in reruns in 90s :tito: and completely out of order) but the Wikipedia synopsis is great:

quote:

In the 25th century — more precisely, in the year 2484 — people live in a peaceful world. Thus, mankind is horrified when CML (Central Brain of Mankind), the main supercomputer managing the fate of humankind and Earth, announces an upcoming disaster. It has spotted a huge space object on a collision course with Earth. The impact is unavoidable, and the prediction is that a significant part of the Earth will be destroyed.

But there is hope. Professor Filip, biographer of the greatest physicist ever, Adam Bernau, offers a plan to save mankind: time travel to the past. Adam Bernau was a genius mathematician and physicist of the 20th and 21st centuries, and winner of the Nobel Prize. In his memoirs, Bernau stated that in his childhood he wrote down in his notebook a short formula that would allow the moving of whole continents, worlds and planets. This may save the Earth.

Just in case you decide to... uh, learn Czech and track down and watch the entire series, I'll spoiler the post-time travel shenanigans resolution:

quote:

Mr Drchlík notices the Central Brain standing asymmetrically and fixes this with a wooden wedge, and suddenly the Central Brain realizes an error in its calculation. The whole expedition had been unnecessary.

I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Biplane posted:

2 more: fuckin V Wars, and Helix, both about antarctic viruses that turn people into monsters. Helix was the better show by like a lot, but V wars was dumb fun. drat it why does everything cool go away

Hm, I thought Helix was an exercise in wasted potential.

But! Cold locations? Mysterious infections? Dennis Quaid Stanley Tucci? Have I got a show for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egy3n-7DQAU

First season was great. Second kinda-sorta went off the rails. Haven't watched the third, but I will... eventually.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

nonathlon posted:

Like there's a murder, mysterious fossils in ice, corporate shenanigans, fishing hijinks. domestic drama, dangerous infections, politics, infidelity, criminals in hiding, comedic cops, anguished cop on the edge, mysterious research ...

You forgot the feeder fetishist. Or the.... self-castration shamanism.

But yes, the general approach seems to be more plot threads = more better. Now I'm really curious what lunacy they introduced in S3.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

:hmmyes:

Also, I'll never not think of