Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Borscht posted:

I was super into Manimal as a kid which made it to 8 eps I think. Luckily i was also young enough to read the Anamorphs books which cribbed heavily from it. From what I recall, the titular Manimal could transform into any animal but they only had three that they filmed transitions for: Hawk, Panther, and Snake. Which is really all you need.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX_vP5N1_ZY

David Letterman relentlessly roasted this show during its short run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The Terriers discussion in this thread got me to finally take it off my "to watch eventually" list and start it up and long story short I just blew through the first five episodes. Good TV.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

There's a series of books I like called "Top Secret Recipes" and it's basically exactly what it sounds like, copycat recipes for well-known food and drinks. If you want to recreate a TGI Friday's appetizer or something in your kitchen, good news!

So back in 2011, CMT, of all channels, thought "yes, this is a premise that can sustain a TV show," and made a single season of episodes (dropping the terminal "s" from the original title, for some reason) in which this cookbook author "has just three days!" to reverse-engineer some sort of famous food item and have his copycat pass a blind taste test. It is extremely scripted, and honestly, it's also quite stupid, but it knows it's stupid and it loops around into being fun and agreeable. This is Sunday afternoon basic cable bullshit and I enjoyed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qgs4-LHlIwI

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Caedus posted:

I learned how to pirate in in 2004 so I never accumulated much of a DVD collection but that's one of 5 series I actually own.

Hrvstmn31 posted:

I own two, Kolchak I got because of a pretty small podcast and Aeon Flux.

I had read about Kolchak for years, but had no way of watching it until some kind soul digitized the episodes they'd taped off of a long-defunct cable channel called Trio. (It's a great show, by the way.) There was a really interesting time to be alive, as an old media junkie, between the advent of BitTorrent and the serious influx of fan-uploaded out-of-print TV to YouTube, where people were just digitizing whatever they had taped and bundling it into torrents, and I think there were probably three straight years or so during which I was never not downloading things and offloading them to external media just as fast as I could. A torrent could be seeded one day and dead the next, and some people got really possessive and weird about "I have this and you don't, so here are some hoops for you to jump through before I'll consider sharing it [again]".

Almost all the media I gobbled up eventually got nice, clean DVD releases or showed up on one streaming service or another, making those old rips basically obsolete — but they were like treasure at the time.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

mysterious frankie posted:

I was writing a post about this show a few weeks ago, then deleted it because I felt like that was admitting to myself it's really dead.

L. Marvin Metz will live forever.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Ralph Crammed In posted:

I really liked Becoming a God in Central Florida. It was renewed for a second season but then the pandemic hit and evidently it wasn't working out and now it's permanently canceled and no one seems to give enough of a poo poo about it to try to get a second season going :(

Yeah, that was a good one. A lot of great character actors and by the end of the season, the show was performing a pretty intense juggling act I would have loved to have seen resolve.

It seemed like they were taking their cues from the really brutal and aggressive MLMs and their leaders (all MLMs are predatory and cultlike, but there are degrees of magnitude within anything, and if you haven't read about Holiday Magic and its insane dirtbag founder who fortunatelyǂ perished in a plane crash of his own making, oh ho ho ho boy) which, honestly, I feel like a lot of media until relatively recently has been extremely tenderfooted about satirizing / exposing.

ǂ I know we've got a thing about bloodlust posting here, and that's fair enough, but he was exactly the sort of hyper-aggressive far-right moneybag that could and would have gone on to do the sort of cultural damage that, well *gestures broadly at everything*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I have been remiss in not mentioning 12 Monkeys in this thread. It got four seasons to fully tell its story, and it's a very, very good show (I actually like it better than the source material, which is saying something), but it does seem forgotten. I rarely see people talk about it in the same way they do other sci-fi TV series, but the people who *did* watch it are absolutely fanatical.

It has something in common with my beloved Lodge 49, mentioned a-ways up thread, in that it was an obvious labor of love for everyone involved, and everyone who worked on it cites it as one of the best working experiences they've ever had.