Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

First time posting on this part of SA since I usually reside in GBS, so hello everyone and by all means tell me to gently caress off if I’m asking the wrong questions like they did over in CD.

Wondering if anyone else here remembers a weird clip-show on SyFy (then called the Sci-Fi Channel) called Headf**k. It was shown randomly on Friday nights back in 2002 and 2003. Had I not gone so far as to tape as much of the show as I could during its run, I’d be convinced it was a weird half remembered dream from my teens because so far I’ve never found anyone else who remembers it even existed at all.

The show essentially consisted of mangled edited clips from HG Lewis movies, bizarre short movies and music videos, and occasional reality-bending ‘thoughts’ from resident wacko David Icke. The show was pretty much helmed by him for the first season, then his presence was noticeably absent for the second season.

I’d post the clips I have of it here for people to get an idea of how loving strange this show was, but VHS generation loss has pretty much ruined the audio to the point I’d probably have to pay someone to fix it (which I’m seriously contemplating doing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Just randomly remembered that a 2003 show called The Handler existed. It starred Joe Pantoliano (of The Matrix and Robot In The Family fame) as an FBI agent handling rookie agents going undercover. It got cancelled after only 14 episodes.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

So it’s Turner and Hooch?

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Odyssey 5: The astronaut crew of a space shuttle looks on in horror as they witness the violent destruction of the Earth. However, they are given a chance to change humanity's fate when a sympathetic alien sends them five years into the past. Their mission--find out who's responsible for the plot to destroy the planet. Can they deal with their own pasts while saving the world from the mysterious organism known only as "Leviathan?"

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0318236/

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

I remember this show! It was great! I’m a bit of a nerd for these kinds of timeline-changing shows (Quantum Leap as you mentioned but also Early Edition)

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC it had problems going to streaming because of all the period music the show used.

Could they not do what they did with the DVD release of Daria where they replaced all the music with free-to-use tracks that sounded similar but that ruined the entire show because there were several jokes that relied on the original songs that now weren’t funny anymore?

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

The Last Train was a show that ran for a single series on the British channel ITV in 1999. This show had a pretty wild concept, even by today’s standards: passengers on a train from London to Sheffield are cryogenically frozen in the midst of a train accident when a gas canister being illegally transported by a passenger bursts. They unfreeze thinking they’ve only been frozen for a few minutes, but exit the train tunnel to find that the civilisation had completely collapsed, realising that several weeks have passed and humanity is sparing and scattered. They later realise that they’ve been frozen for 52 years.

This show was super creative with how it set up the establishment of new human colonies and how the destruction of humanity was portrayed. Sadly it never got a DVD or Blu-Ray release and was never broadcast in the US.

https://youtu.be/AUWYg6GSgCY

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

torgo posted:

I have two I always thought deserved more seasons.

Wonderfalls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp24yShlF7U

A clerk at a gift shop starts hearing voices from inanimate objects telling her help people. It had a super cast and the visual effects were great for a TV show at the time. It was created by Bryan Fuller, and fits into his not entirely related trilogy of shows: Wonderfalls, Dead Like Me, and Pushing Daisies.

Misfits of Science
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcXYrODO8UI

A group with various super powers solve a random assortment of crimes and mysteries. It starred the dad from ALF and a young Courteney Cox. Honestly, the main thing I remember about it was being really hooked on it when I caught it on Sci-Fi Channel reruns in the 90s. It seems to have completely been forgotten since that.

Wonderfalls is definitely worth seeking out, mainly because it’s the rare scenario where the network were so confident in the formula of the show taking off that only a handful of episodes were ever broadcast but they actually filmed the whole first season.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Tiggum posted:

I'm generally pretty indifferent to crossovers when they actually happen, but I really like the Tommy Westphall Universe theory where, thanks to crossovers and references, everything from M*A*S*H to Buffy the Vampire Slayer to Star Trek can be linked together into a single shared universe - and a surprisingly large number of connections are directly related to Richard Belzer's character Detective John Munch (best known from Law & Order: Special Victims Unit) who turns up in more shows than you'd expect.

:same: I love randomly finding out that some weird movie or TV show I’m watching is connected to the Tommy Westphall universe in some obscure way.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Hrvstmn31 posted:

I'm surprised anyone has heard of Dead Like Me, my Uncle found it in like 2011 and we pretty much binged the whole thing. No one I've met has heard of it, only the existence of google has confirmed that it is real and I'm not crazy.

Dead Like Me was surprisingly popular in the UK

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Hrvstmn31 posted:

That just makes it even more strange.

What’s even stranger is that there was a feature-length episode released in 2009, a full 5 years after the show ended.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Profit. A show well ahead of its time.

“Jim Profit works for a multinational company and isn't above using any means necessary to get ahead, which includes bribery, blackmail, intimidation, extortion, and even murder. Everyone at the company, including the president, Charles Gracen, are oblivious to his dark side.”

According to Adrian Pasdar there is a reboot in the works.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5kUPGS3gEZqK4dQBtb2s7x8KQR2fLwFT

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

AFewBricksShy posted:

That reminded me that Andy Richter Controls the Universe was a show which I absolutely loved.

Loved both this and Wondershowzen, which I associate with each other but have trouble remembering if it’s because they were in the same time block on MTV2 or if there’s some writing connection between them.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Hrvstmn31 posted:

Unanswered cliffhangers are the bane of my existence.

That's one of the reasons I really liked Bojack Horseman and Kidding: both of those shows were cancelled but the showrunners were given enough notice that they managed to wrap up all the major (and minor, in the case of BH) plotlines before the end.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Bojack had been winding down for a season even before the cancellation. I’m pretty sure that it only would have gone for one more season tops if it hadn’t ended with 7.

They had planned for 8 seasons AFAIK, but were only given one season after 5 to wrap up 3 seasons worth of plot that had already been planned out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Was watching an old Bojack Horseman episode yesterday and saw them referencing a show called John From Cincinnati. Looked.....eh. Was shown directly after The Sopranos, but flopped and was cancelled after just 10 episodes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_from_Cincinnati

Also randomly remembered that Cavemen existed, a show similar to Wonderfalls in that most of the recorded episodes went unaired:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavemen_(TV_series)