Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I fondly remember Earth 2 and Space Precinct. Before I go on, I'm basing this on my experience from a UK/Europe perspective, but I still had access to satellite TV.

I also fondly remember watching Eerie, Indiana in my youth and enjoying it. It was a family-friendly horror\sci-fi series set in a small town where these kinds of things were the norm. This was a pretty standard early 90's show with some weirdness mixed in and I still have no idea why it was never picked up for a second series.

Weird Science the TV series I wouldn't classify as failed as there were five series of it, but in this day it does seem to be forgotten. I remember this show being having prominent time slots amongst some heavy hitters at the time but these days it's been completely buried. If you ever want to see an over the top reaction to a cancellation then check out the finale to the series, when the people behind the show found out the show was ending they just threw everything out the window and just went wild with the final episode.

The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. Another early 90's casualty. Bruce Campbell in a steampunk wild-western was well received and highly praised but didn't achieve desirable viewing numbers. This series was developed because Fox wanted a show that was in a similar style to Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and was one of the last television shows to be filmed on Warner Bros. Western backlot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

The Black Stones posted:

Anyone remember a Sci-Fi show from the 90’s called Space Above and Beyond?

I loved it when I was a kid, and I rewatched it a long long time ago and feeling like it still held up. I think I still have it on DVD and want to rewatch it again at some point. I just loved the characters I remember the laser effects being super awesome for the time.

Looking at the Wiki, Shirley Walker of Batman and Tiny Toons fame did the music so no wonder that part was good. One of the creators went on to eventually film…Dragonball Evolution. Yikes.

I remember enjoying this when it was first shown and highly disappointed that they didn't make another series as they ended things on a cliffhanger!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Rome is one of my all-time favourite shows, it certainly wasn't a failure in terms of viewing figures or ratings but it didn't last for a third series. Five series were originally written and commissioned in a joint venture between HBO and the BBC, but HBO was only jointly funding the first two series and the BBC decided that they didn't want to bear the brunt of production costs for the rest of the shows run so promptly cancelled it. Somewhat thankfully, the people behind the show knew that the second series was going to be the last when they were halfway through producing it and rewrote three series of storylines in an effort to bring the series to a natural ending. I'm still a little annoyed that this series was cut short because HBO and the BBC didn't want to fund it anymore because despite its success. Shortly after this series was wrapped up, Game Of Thrones began development.

If you haven't watched Rome, watch Rome.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Whybird posted:

Seconding this, Rome is amazingly good.

Carnivāle was another series produced by HBO that was commissioned in 2003 and only lasted two seasons. This was another series that had long term storylines written and planned but was cut short. In this instance, I can't really blame HBO for cancelling it as they asked the creator to reduce the price of each episode to $2,000,000 and was refused to negotiate and he decided to die on his hill.

quote:

The cancellation resulted in several story plot lines being unfinished, and outraged loyal viewers organized petitions and mailing drives to get the show renewed. This generated more than 50,000 emails to the network in a single weekend. Show creator Daniel Knauf was unconvinced of the success of such measures, but explained that proposed alternatives like selling Carnivāle to a competing network or spinning off the story were not possible because of HBO owning Carnivāle's plot and characters. At the same time, Knauf was hopeful that, given a strong enough fan base, HBO might reconsider the show's future and allow the continuation of the show in another medium; but because of the amount of unused story material he still had, Knauf did not favor finishing the Carnivāle story with a three-hour movie.

Knauf did not release a detailed run-down of intended future plots to fans, explaining that his stories are a collaboration of writers, directors and actors alike. He and the producers did, however, answer a few basic details about the immediate fate of major characters who were left in near-fatal situations in the final episode of Season 2. Knauf additionally provided in-depth information regarding the underlying fictional laws of nature that the writers had not been able to fully explore in the first two seasons. June 2007 however marked the first time that a comprehensive work of detailed character backgrounds was made public. Following a fundraising auction, Knauf offered fans a so-called "Pitch Document," a summary of Carnivāle's first season. This document was originally written in 2002 and 2003 to give the writers and the studio an idea about the series' intended plot, and answered many of the show's mysteries.

The first series of Carnivāle is worth a watch and if it was to end early then it should have ended then. The second series would have suffered a better fate if the series had continued.