Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
JERICHO VS WARDLOW 9 5.66%
STATLANDER VS NYLA 6 3.77%
BEST FRIENDS VS HFO 4 2.52%
ELITE VS SYDALS AND DANTE FREAKING MARTIN 131 82.39%
DARK ORDER VS GOOD BROS 9 5.66%
Total: 159 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

ChrisBTY posted:

Christian is just good enough that Kenny can drag 4+ snowflakes out of him.
Ultimately he is Shawn Spears with a better career arc.

what on earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

CopywrightMMXI posted:

That was one of the greatest openers I’ve ever seen. The faces went from polite reaction to megastar reaction. by the end, mainly due to Dante bouncing around like a pinball.

I thought Dan Lambert was supposed to be on this week though? No big deal if they forgot, I just thought it would set up Archer’s next match.

If they're willing to give Omega a loss (Which I doubt Kenny would have an issue with in theory but I understand the concern about his streak), Christian winning at Rampage actually works well.

It gets a belt off Kenny which means he has less workload, while giving Christian a chance to do a true Last Dance, having one more run at Impact as champion.

It adds drama to the PPV match, while allowing Kenny to be human but still dominant should he win (which he unquestionably should)

It plays into one of Christian's biggest strengths, namely match evolution. Say what you will about the guy but his multi-match psychology is among the best in the business and his second matches are almost always superior to first against an opponent (see the One More Match program against Randy Orton which was incredibly flawed booking wise but incredible in the ring).

I'm not saying folks have to embrace the match or stop demanding Hangman (I'm with you, I so desperately want to see Page win), but if we're dealing with What Is vs. What We Want I think Christian is a solid option with enough flexibility that there isn't an obvious weakness to the booking.

And for those who would argue the fan reaction is a downside, I don't disagree but equally unless they do a hard Hangman focus for the next month I don't think he's quite earned the emotional payoff yet. We're currently sitting at the end of Act 2 with Page at his lowest point and I think there's enough gas in the tank to keep his program going past All Out, while Christian doesn't really have anywhere else to go past a single title challenge a la Roddy Piper at Starcade 96.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

STONE COLD 64 posted:

AEW Number wager: Will the rating for today's Dynamite be OVER or UNDER 1.015 million viewers. Push means everyone wins. Losers will eat a 6 hour probe with Jericho's Sagging Pants as the reason.

OVER

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

STAC Goat posted:

MJF really ran out of steam on those labours, huh?

No?

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i was just thinking "i wish MJF wrestled more" and then i remembered the insane match he and Sammy G had where they basically made each other look like gods with kickouts of like avalanche tombstone piledrivers and poo poo, and the olds on soc media were really mad lmao

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The labours have gassed to operate in parallel with Jericho being gassed.

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

"They called you exotic, which is just people talk for awesome!"
https://twitter.com/YTAlexReynolds/status/1425654349770919940

THINGS ARE FINE.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

My friends are all out of frame, watching AEW Dynamite live too.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

If Jericho beats MJF he has to shoot to the top of the top five right? I mean he would have won 5 big money matches in a row - all with big stakes.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

MassRafTer posted:

The only bad thing about tonight's show is Paul Wight teased he was going to wrestle in Queens and I don't think the QT vs No More BS feud is gonna stretch out that long.

I wish I could've seen My Main Man QT Marshall vs Paul Wight live.

You're fine, you'll get the Ogogo squash of NO MORE BS live instead.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Shard posted:

Considering they are opinions and their point has consistently been they don't like the cheating elite I don't think there is anything wrong or weird with them. You just don't agree. And that's ok.

More to the point; I feel overwhelmed in that it's gone on for 7 months and there's been not a lot of chances to breathe. I get easily emotionally immersed in things and am easily antagonized. I found early AEW a revelation in that while that stuff of course existed at no point did it feel overwhelming or overbearing. I understand that other people's mileage may vary in that regard and that is valid.

Gonna be a long week without you Shard.

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014

STONE COLD 64 posted:

AEW Number wager: Will the rating for today's Dynamite be OVER or UNDER 1.015 million viewers. Push means everyone wins. Losers will eat a 6 hour probe with Jericho's Sagging Pants as the reason.

Under. The Challenge returned tonight

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

sticklefifer posted:

I can't wait to see how a crowd sings Judas in unison without a prompt to all start at the same time, a beat, or what key to sing in.

I’m gonna guess they put the lyrics up on a big screen somewhere in the arena off camera with a “follow the bouncing ball” kinda thing

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

yea ok posted:

There have been zero Kenny vs. Christian matches in AEW.

I wish they'd keep it that way.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Dark Order vs Dark Order please.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

ChrisBTY posted:

More to the point; I feel overwhelmed in that it's gone on for 7 months and there's been not a lot of chances to breathe. I get easily emotionally immersed in things and am easily antagonized. I found early AEW a revelation in that while that stuff of course existed at no point did it feel overwhelming or overbearing. I understand that other people's mileage may vary in that regard and that is valid.

Gonna be a long week without you Shard.

Apparently I won't be probed until the actual match happens because some folks are in denial

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Lolling at the idea that Kenny Omega's first taken pin in his reign of terror will be vs. Christian for the Impact title belt to set up a PPV rematch

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
TSN will be showing Rampage on their streaming apps on Friday. I expect that it’ll end up on tv once the cfl season is over.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
its amazing how wrong the psp aew thread is. wrong on miro, wrong on cody, wrong on christian.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

MJF really ran out of steam on those labours, huh?

I'm disappointed in the Wardlow choice, not due to Wardlow or even the booking but simply because Gage and Juvie felt like a career retrospective and Labour 4 felt like it should have been Lance Storm, with Labour 5 being a handicap match with Wardlow and MJF.

But that's my headspace booking and honestly I don't really see a booking flaw in a vacuum.

Labour 1 sold the idea of Spears as the Chairman but also had the vibe of "Here's a guy with a massive advantage, I'm gonna shut you down fast"

Labour 2 was "Okay so you can handle the Hardcore, well here's the most hardcore guy that's ever hardcored, let's see how you handle it"

Labour 3 was "Okay you can handle a deathmatch, big deal anyone with pain tolerance can handle a deathmatch, here's one of the greatest technical wrestlers you've ever faced, can you still keep up old man?" (Shoot wise it kinda failed but I'm willing to forgive reality for booking)

Labour 4 was "gently caress it I'm dropping a nuke" (MJF should have been the ref and screwed Jericho so that they had enough time to pull some shenanigans that Jericho would face MJF at All Out as the 5th Labour but that's my booking, this worked well enough)

The big issue is Labour 5 being on TV. If Jericho loses that means you need an Inner Circle collapse, but how do you use that to play into a PPV? Give me the book I'd say have Sammy Guevara lose faith, Jericho vs. Guevara at All Out, but I'm not sure if that would work for everyone. Conversely you put Jericho vs. MJF at All Out you can have a Jericho loss create new stories as the Inner Circle start to find their own reasons to leave over the many months of TV. Withe a Jericho win you can build towards a faction battle (although I think they already did that with Blood and Guts and now they're booking in circles).

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Messy but fun. The first match was obviously the peak, just so dang good that things had a hard time meeting it, but I like what it set up.

While I'm glad there were multiple segments with the women, they really do need more ring time on Dynamite. Like it's absurd for Tay Conti to be stuck on YT- Dark and Elevation are good shows but it's no substitute for exposure on cable TV. I kinda get that Tony doesn't want to sacrifice time for the Elite or Jericho or Darby etc. but... well it's a bad look.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The Labors feel like a weird half-measure between "Jericho's bucket list/career retrospective" and "Jericho vs. The Pinnacle." I kinda wish it had gone fully in one direction or the other.

Every match was very good at what it was trying to do but as a whole it feels like a little less than the sum of its parts.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

StarkRavingMad posted:

I’m gonna guess they put the lyrics up on a big screen somewhere in the arena off camera with a “follow the bouncing ball” kinda thing

I would legit mark out to this. Although I fear the longterm consequences.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Can we all just unite and appreciate for a moment that in TYOOL 2021, Tony Schiavone completed an interview on live TV?

Red Velvet didn't even attack Britt until after her music started. The interview was done and Tony was already headed out of the ring. It was magical.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

MJeff posted:

The Labors feel like a weird half-measure between "Jericho's bucket list/career retrospective" and "Jericho vs. The Pinnacle." I kinda wish it had gone fully in one direction or the other.

Every match was very good at what it was trying to do but as a whole it feels like a little less than the sum of its parts.

Fully agreed

sticklefifer posted:

Can we all just unite and appreciate for a moment that in TYOOL 2021, Tony Schiavone completed an interview on live TV?

Red Velvet didn't even attack Britt until after her music started. The interview was done and Tony was already headed out of the ring. It was magical.

Agreed here too

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

always side with the labors

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
Maybe I’m missing something but why would Jericho give a poo poo about beating MJF in a formal match after being tormented for weeks? Use 800 Judas Effects, get DQ’d immediately, who gives a poo poo

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

sticklefifer posted:

I kind of appreciate that AEW interviews are not all 5 minutes of scripted rambling before someone finally comes out to interrupt it.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

neoaxd posted:

I am ok with Kenny Omega vs Christian because only Canadians should be allowed to challenge for the title or defend it. Sorry its the rules.

This is the true axiom of booking.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Renaissance Spam posted:

I'm disappointed in the Wardlow choice, not due to Wardlow or even the booking but simply because Gage and Juvie felt like a career retrospective and Labour 4 felt like it should have been Lance Storm, with Labour 5 being a handicap match with Wardlow and MJF.

But that's my headspace booking and honestly I don't really see a booking flaw in a vacuum.

Labour 1 sold the idea of Spears as the Chairman but also had the vibe of "Here's a guy with a massive advantage, I'm gonna shut you down fast"

Labour 2 was "Okay so you can handle the Hardcore, well here's the most hardcore guy that's ever hardcored, let's see how you handle it"

Labour 3 was "Okay you can handle a deathmatch, big deal anyone with pain tolerance can handle a deathmatch, here's one of the greatest technical wrestlers you've ever faced, can you still keep up old man?" (Shoot wise it kinda failed but I'm willing to forgive reality for booking)

Labour 4 was "gently caress it I'm dropping a nuke" (MJF should have been the ref and screwed Jericho so that they had enough time to pull some shenanigans that Jericho would face MJF at All Out as the 5th Labour but that's my booking, this worked well enough)

The big issue is Labour 5 being on TV. If Jericho loses that means you need an Inner Circle collapse, but how do you use that to play into a PPV? Give me the book I'd say have Sammy Guevara lose faith, Jericho vs. Guevara at All Out, but I'm not sure if that would work for everyone. Conversely you put Jericho vs. MJF at All Out you can have a Jericho loss create new stories as the Inner Circle start to find their own reasons to leave over the many months of TV. Withe a Jericho win you can build towards a faction battle (although I think they already did that with Blood and Guts and now they're booking in circles).

I don't want to fantasy book the matches because that an endless door. Mostly I just feel like if you've given MJF the power to stack the decks, why isn't he stacking decks? Spears, Cage, and Juvi fine. But as things get more desperate shouldn't MJF get more ruthless? Wardlow's certainly a threat but MJF basically booked a straight 1 on 1 match. And he gave himself a bit of an advantage in the 5th one. Maybe he gets lucky and Jericho messes up and scratches the 8 ball. But its incredibly reserved for a guy who has shown a much more imaginative and ruthless streak.

MJeff posted:

Yeah, as a collective story it just doesn't feel like it has a solid narrative or momentum. Jericho having to go through the Pinnacle. Career retrospective. Outside mercs. Desperate MJF. There's a taste of all of it but no real cohesion.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

King Bahamut posted:

Maybe I’m missing something but why would Jericho give a poo poo about beating MJF in a formal match after being tormented for weeks? Use 800 Judas Effects, get DQ’d immediately, who gives a poo poo
Why does he give a poo poo about a match in the first place when he could just hit MJF with a bat? Why does MJF get to set all his stips and book all these matches? Because wrestlelogic, don't think about it too much.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if he gets disqualified, chris jericho can never drink yj stinger again

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Smash Bros vs Beaver Boys at All Out sounds loving awesome. Let's do it.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
People seem a lot more negative on Christian vs. Kenny than I am. Christian is one of those guys who's really solid but kinda unexciting in the ring. I've always liked him better as a heel poo poo talker than a thrilling modern babyface wrestler. Kenny will be able to work a hell of a match with him, it's gonna be good, but I'm glad it's not a PPV main event.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I thought the gimmick was if the crowd sings Judas MJF wins immediately

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

King Bahamut posted:

To find out who's really the better man, of course. If you think you're it, you've got to prove it between those ropes.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Seams posted:

its amazing how wrong the psp aew thread is. wrong on miro, wrong on cody, wrong on christian.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

King Bahamut posted:

Because this isn't about who can beat each other up, it's about whose philosophy is superior and if Jericho just fights dirty then he proves nothing, while a legitimate win means that MJF has no excuses and has to acknowledge that Jericho was right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Eat My Fuc posted:

I thought the gimmick was if the crowd sings Judas MJF wins immediately

That would have been a much smarter stipulation but probably it would be a terrible idea to try it.