Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft

A few folks expressed a fleeting interest in knowing how to fix electronics. The first step is learning how to solder!

For $21, you can get a nice starter kit. You'll be putting together a siren with blinking lights; I've included a photo below that shows the large parts of the kit, but it comes with solder and a little stand. You'll need to provide an old kitchen sponge and some water.

When you're done, you will know how to put things into a board and remove them, and you get to keep the soldering iron and solder, so you could make small repairs to electronics around the house. Last week I fixed a wifi router with essentially this kit, and last month Cruft jr even managed to fix a webcam USB cable that the dog chewed through, using the same stuff.

I imagine the whole thing is going to take 2-4 hours. Since everybody's in different time zones, let's plan on spreading it across a full week, at maybe 10-20 minutes per night, so you can get stuck, ask questions, get help, and get back to it the next night.

If you're in, let me know, and we can get started putting it all together when everybody's kit has arrived. I'll be here to answer any questions you have, and probably other yobbers will want to help out too!

Your pal, cruft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

I'm in and also I may have bought the last one of those kits in stock

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

cruft

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I'm in and also I may have bought the last one of those kits in stock

I reloaded the page and it went from saying "only 1 left - order soon" to "in stock". :raise:

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

cruft posted:

I reloaded the page and it went from saying "only 1 left - order soon" to "in stock". :raise:

imagine a fine upstanding gentleman like jeff bezos using deceitful practices to get you click the buy button faster! inconceivable!

Jinh

Ordered! Ty for making this thread :)

xcheopis

I won't be able to order or anything until next week but thank you for the thread! I shall follow along regardless. :)

Fifteen years taking prescriptions
Now a shrink like, "I dunno, maybe get a kitten"

Finger Prince

I had one of those cold solder pens but it died and was crap anyway, one of these days I'll get an electric or butane one. They are useful.
One thing to note - if you're using a sponge, make sure its a cellulose one and not those cheapy yellow foam ones because they'll melt. If you haven't got a sponge, you can use moist paper towel (or if you're a pro, just knock the excess solder off the tip by banging the side of the iron against the edge of table. This is an advanced move though so stick with what cruft tells you for now and don't listen to me).

cruft

Finger Prince posted:

I had one of those cold solder pens but it died and was crap anyway, one of these days I'll get an electric or butane one. They are useful.
One thing to note - if you're using a sponge, make sure its a cellulose one and not those cheapy yellow foam ones because they'll melt. If you haven't got a sponge, you can use moist paper towel (or if you're a pro, just knock the excess solder off the tip by banging the side of the iron against the edge of table. This is an advanced move though so stick with what cruft tells you for now and don't listen to me).

Oh yeah, good point, thanks for mentioning it.

If you have cash to burn, a brass solder sponge is the pro way to do it. We're goin' for cheap, here, though.

cruft

xcheopis posted:

I won't be able to order or anything until next week but thank you for the thread! I shall follow along regardless. :)

We can wait for you, or I'll do a round 2 :)

xcheopis

cruft posted:

We can wait for you, or I'll do a round 2 :)

Don't wait! I hate keeping people waiting.

Fifteen years taking prescriptions
Now a shrink like, "I dunno, maybe get a kitten"

Prof. Crocodile

oh snap! I have been wanting to learn how to solder for years. maybe now is my time…

Ass-penny

xcheopis posted:

Don't wait! I hate keeping people waiting.

seconding this. as much as I should learn to solder I can say with certainty I'm not going to be acquiring a kit soon and I'll just look on the progress of others.

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Is this the recruiting office? I need money for college and.....oh. This is cool too.

frump truck

hello... again!

soldering is cool and fun and anyone can do it. have a good time, newcomers!!

Finger Prince

Oh, another thing you'll need that cruft forgot to mention is a ready supply of cool running water and an Advil for when you burn your fingats.

alnilam

How much is Big Solder paying you cruft

ty manifisto

cruft

Finger Prince posted:

Oh, another thing you'll need that cruft forgot to mention is a ready supply of cool running water and an Advil for when you burn your fingats.

You'll be fine: everything on this kit is a big honkin' thru-hole component. If you have a pair of eyebrow tweezers you want to use to hold stuff, you can do that.

alnilam posted:

How much is Big Solder paying you cruft

14¢

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

if i burn enough solder will i get the fun kind of lead poisoning?

Robot Made of Meat

Hi!

I very much approve of this thread. I'm one of the few quasi-sentient beings in North America who is actually employed in the endeavor of repairing electronic stuffs. Soldering is a good skill to have, and 555 timer ICs are amazingly versatile and fun and nearly bullet-proof. The picture doesn't specify which transistors are being used, but I'd be not in the least surprised to find that they are 2N2222 transistors, possibly connected in such a way to make an astable multivibrator!

I look forward to seeing the progress in this thrad.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Robot Made of Meat

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Not very likely, and it's probably too late.

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I took an electronics class once and ended up stabbing the hot soldering iron tip under my thumbnail somehow and it was insanely painful but I was too shy to draw any attention to myself so I just sat there

Anyway soldering is a neat skill to have and kudos to you

Manifisto

are we going to cover soldering doomsday devices

I have a kit and I'd really like to put it together but it's a little intimidating

ty nesamdoom!

Finger Prince

I just had a remembory of learning to solder as a wee lad picking up trashed electronics in the neighbourhood and fixing them up with my friend so we had a like a tv and stereo and stuff in his treehouse that we brought back in a wagon like a couple of literal scamps. We also made chlorine gas bombs from a printout of the anarchists cookbook he had downloaded off a BBS on his commodore at like 400 baud or something ridiculous. We were like maybe 11 or 12? Good times.

Robot Made of Meat

Can a mod add "Liquid Metal:" to the title of this thread? TIA.

cruft

Robot Made of Meat posted:

Can a mod add "Liquid Metal:" to the title of this thread? TIA.

cruft

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The solder in this kit is lead-free, sorry.

Lead-free solder is actually harder to work with, but we're gonna soldier on and get the connections made anyway!

Armitag3

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

It's pronounced sodder

pnac attack

by Fluffdaddy

frump truck posted:

soldering is cool and fun and anyone can do it. have a good time, newcomers!!

Finger Prince posted:

I just had a remembory of learning to solder as a wee lad picking up trashed electronics in the neighbourhood and fixing them up with my friend so we had a like a tv and stereo and stuff in his treehouse that we brought back in a wagon like a couple of literal scamps. We also made chlorine gas bombs from a printout of the anarchists cookbook he had downloaded off a BBS on his commodore at like 400 baud or something ridiculous. We were like maybe 11 or 12? Good times.

soldering is cool. cruft is cool for making this thread. you're all cool for reading it and you'll be even cooler if you learn to solder

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

pnac attack

by Fluffdaddy

Armitag3 posted:

It's pronounced sodder

sauter

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

sb hermit

(whispers) I'm in

JetSetGo

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Never posted here before but always wanted to do this. All in

Robot Made of Meat

JetSetGo posted:

Another BYOB success story!

Welcome, friend.

Jinh

JetSetGo posted:

Hell yeah

alexandriao

I think lead free solder can be as dangerous as lead because your body isnt great at breathing in antimony or any of the other stuff

That aside this sounds super fuckin cool and i wanna be in so bad, seconding others where ppl said they'd do a second round of it :)

Robot Made of Meat

alexandriao posted:

I think lead free solder can be as dangerous as lead because your body isnt great at breathing in antimony or any of the other stuff

That aside this sounds super fuckin cool and i wanna be in so bad, seconding others where ppl said they'd do a second round of it :)

I have a co-worker who got concerned years ago about the possibility that using lead solder every day with little or no precautions might have been a health issue. He got a test and found no elevated levels of lead in his system.

Code Jockey

69420 basic bytes free
What a great thread! I learned to solder a few years ago and nothing feels better than your first nice and shiny, just-the-right-amount-of-solder soldering job. I am too shaky and imprecise for like teeny tiny soldering work but putting pin headers on stuff and soldering wires to bigger contact points? I'm all over that, and it's a lot of fun and rewarding

B33rChiller

Snipped cool info
The picture doesn't specify which transistors are being used, but I'd be not in the least surprised to find that they are 2N2222 transistors, possibly connected in such a way to make an astable multivibrator!

I look forward to seeing the progress in this thrad.
Would that work as a vco for a homemade synthesizer? Or would you just get random frequencies out of it?

I'm interested in following along, but had enough soldering pipes to make ham radio antennas as a kid to know I don't like Flux or solder much.

:trashed:

Dr. Honked posted:

the junk, rather than the trunk
Robot Made of Meat

B33rChiller posted:

Would that work as a vco for a homemade synthesizer? Or would you just get random frequencies out of it?

I'm interested in following along, but had enough soldering pipes to make ham radio antennas as a kid to know I don't like Flux or solder much.

Searching Google images, I see some pretty simple VCO circuits that use two-transistor oscillators. You can also use a 555 and a transistor. Unfortunately, you'd need quite a bit of filtering to change the square-wave output to something other.

B33rChiller

Searching Google images, I see some pretty simple VCO circuits that use two-transistor oscillators. You can also use a 555 and a transistor. Unfortunately, you'd need quite a bit of filtering to change the square-wave output to something other.
Cool, thanks. The filtering and manipulation of the waveform is where all the fun is!

:trashed:

Dr. Honked posted:

the junk, rather than the trunk
Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Made of Meat

Filters are definitely where Bob Moog stood apart from the competition.