Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

manero

cruft posted:

Nice, look great!

Since you're a Morse code nerd, I'll drop an ad for this thing I made at https://vail.woozle.org/ that'll help you practice with a buddy on the Internet.

Neat! I had an idea to do something similar with websockets. I'll have to play around with this some more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft

manero posted:

Neat! I had an idea to do something similar with websockets. I'll have to play around with this some more!

That's exactly what this is. Maybe you could write a console mode client for it!

Prof. Crocodile

OK I've finished the first pass...

The LEDs don't light up, so I'll have to recheck the connections tomorrow. The transistors and capacitors are a little wiggly, and my solders weren't perfect, but they're a heck of a lot better than they were when I was practicing, so I'm pretty happy with this project. Thanks cruft!

Robot Made of Meat

Prof. Crocodile posted:

OK I've finished the first pass...

The LEDs don't light up, so I'll have to recheck the connections tomorrow. The transistors and capacitors are a little wiggly, and my solders weren't perfect, but they're a heck of a lot better than they were when I was practicing, so I'm pretty happy with this project. Thanks cruft!

Needs more heat and more solder. Remember to heat the solder joint, and then add solder.

Lead-free solder is not easy to use, and the inexpensive irons you get with these kits aren't ideal. But keep on keeping on, and you'll get it. I'm very glad that in my job we almost always get to use lead based solder.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

manero

^^^ yep. your solder joints should look like little hershey kisses.

cruft

Hey buddy, that is pretty good! Nice job!

The LED thing could be because you've wired them backwards, or it could just be the solder joints. I encourage you next week to go back and try to fix that all up: run this stupid project to complete, and when you need the skills next time you'll have them nailed. But it is a lot of soldering, on some gigantic pads, and I think for a first attempt you did admirably!

Please pat yourself on the back fore me!

Prof. Crocodile

So it turns out I put the LCD's in backward. Getting them out and resetting them was a bit of a pain, but I was rewarded with the shrill klaxon and alternating lights of a euro-style police car.

Thank you to everyone in this thread for teaching me how to solder.

cruft

Prof. Crocodile posted:

So it turns out I put the LCD's in backward. Getting them out and resetting them was a bit of a pain, but I was rewarded with the shrill klaxon and alternating lights of a euro-style police car.

Thank you to everyone in this thread for teaching me how to solder.

Hot drat!

YOU DID IT!

Another BYOB success story!

cruft

Removing and reconnecting the LEDs was, I'm sure, a pain in the rear end, but it's precisely the sort of thing you have to do in order to repair stuff. So it was time well spent.

I am super pumped that somebody else finished this damned thing. Woo!

manero

:yeah:

pnac attack

by Fluffdaddy
another byob success story!

yeah i saw cruft already said it. i don't care. just that pumped

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

biosterous

i had a dream about making a theramin and when i woke up it made me think about this thread

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

cruft

There are Theremin kits you can put together! With solder!

Code Jockey

69420 basic bytes free
But Cruft, all these wonderful things soldering can do - is there anything it can't do?

pnac attack

by Fluffdaddy
you cannot solder a broken heart

but you *can* solder a pacemaker so idk

----------------

Code Jockey

69420 basic bytes free

pnac attack posted:

you cannot solder a broken heart

but you *can* solder a pacemaker so idk

solder can help fill in the cracks of a broken heart though

it doesn't restore the connection, but... it does the job, you know?

cruft

Code Jockey posted:

But Cruft, all these wonderful things soldering can do - is there anything it can't do?

No.

Chinook

SHODAI

i'm not usually in the YOB zone, or maybe ever, but - i wanted to learn to solder and googled 'something awful learn to solder' and found your thread and now i made this:

get slim

cruft

Chinook posted:

i'm not usually in the YOB zone, or maybe ever, but - i wanted to learn to solder and googled 'something awful learn to solder' and found your thread and now i made this:

:pusheen:

Nice job!

B33rChiller

I bought a eurorack synth module from a builder on etsy, and when I tried testing it, the potentiometers were really wobbly, and the power would cut off depending on how I held the knobs. Hmmmmmm. Ok, take the panel off, and check the circuit board.

Looks like they forgot some solder there. The seller sent me a replacement right away, so no problem there. I now have a 90% complete dual APC as a reason to learn soldering. Thought I'd post as motivation to actually start on my practice projects first.

:trashed:

Dr. Honked posted:

the junk, rather than the trunk
sb hermit

B33rChiller posted:

I bought a eurorack synth module from a builder on etsy, and when I tried testing it, the potentiometers were really wobbly, and the power would cut off depending on how I held the knobs. Hmmmmmm. Ok, take the panel off, and check the circuit board.

Looks like they forgot some solder there. The seller sent me a replacement right away, so no problem there. I now have a 90% complete dual APC as a reason to learn soldering. Thought I'd post as motivation to actually start on my practice projects first.

:nice:, free soldering test kit!

B33rChiller

sb hermit posted:

:nice:, free soldering test kit!

This is the goal project. Need to get good at soldering before I try finishing this one. I have a couple small practice kits to do first. A LED clock, and a fm radio. I'm going to try with those first.
My buddy sent me a copy of this comic for learnin
https://mightyohm.com/blog/2011/04/soldering-is-easy-comic-book/

Dr. Honked posted:

sb hermit

B33rChiller posted:

This is the goal project. Need to get good at soldering before I try finishing this one. I have a couple small practice kits to do first. A LED clock, and a fm radio. I'm going to try with those first.
My buddy sent me a copy of this comic for learnin
https://mightyohm.com/blog/2011/04/soldering-is-easy-comic-book/

I am glad that this thread is still open. I still have that soldering learning kit and I need to sit down and just do it. I actually have a few things that I'd like to fix, including a power adapter, a tone generaror, a synthesizer (just need to switch input voltages on a transformer) and a broken fpga enabled single board computer.

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
you can make really cool VCO's with Arduino and the Mozzi library, this isn't the finished osc in the rack but here's a lil vid of the work in progress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erbtl81fwag

based on this: https://github.com/luislutz/Arduino-VDCO

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
this is a Good Thread, and that comic is a handy resource, thanks

Fazio Electric has some nice and chill soldering tutorials in the context of amp repair specifically

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS2gmLpXcgk

and also a buncha cool amp repair walkthroughs as well

thanks deep dish peat moss and big black turnout!!

B33rChiller

LOL, the fm radio practice kit I picked up has a tiny, 16 pin surface mount IC. That sure does not seem like a babby's 1st solder project.

Dr. Honked posted:

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

B33rChiller posted:

LOL, the fm radio practice kit I picked up has a tiny, 16 pin surface mount IC. That sure does not seem like a babby's 1st solder project.

SMDeez Nutz!

Chinook

SHODAI

B33rChiller posted:

i think that’s the thing i’m working on next. i watched a video where it makes this look doable. he drowns it in flux and heats up solder on his iron and drags the solder across the pins. it worked great! good luck

get slim

Robot Made of Meat

Chinook posted:

i think that’s the thing i’m working on next. i watched a video where it makes this look doable. he drowns it in flux and heats up solder on his iron and drags the solder across the pins. it worked great! good luck

Drag soldering is amazing! Yup, lots of flux . . and be sure to tack the corners well. After that, it's magic.

B33rChiller

Very nice. I remembered, that if I'm going to do smt, I have a usb powered mixer that broke one of the leads from the USB jack. I could do a repair and get a 6 stereo channel mixer back in the game!
I have one of those helping hands with magnifying glass stands on the way, so I can hold the boards flat and level, and have a chance of seeing what I'm doing without getting an iron to the face.

Dr. Honked posted:

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i got a "practise SMD" kit a while back and i was surprised how quickly i got the hang of it, even with a regular sized soldering iron tip.

the solder does magically flow where it's supposed to go, i messed up a few times but it's super easy to clean up and try again

Chinook

SHODAI

i'm glad i bumped this old thread. hopefully more goons melt some darn lead. gonna try to make an fm radio tomorrow. wml

Robot Made of Meat

Dr. Honked posted:

i got a "practise SMD" kit a while back and i was surprised how quickly i got the hang of it, even with a regular sized soldering iron tip.

the solder does magically flow where it's supposed to go, i messed up a few times but it's super easy to clean up and try again

Bigger tips are better than tiny ones, because they have more thermal mass. I use a much larger one than yours, and often solder much smaller components with it.

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Robot Made of Meat posted:

Bigger tips are better than tiny ones, because they have more thermal mass. I use a much larger one than yours, and often solder much smaller components with it.

oh yeah? well ur mom has so much thermal mass, that she cooled my tip. or something

Munkeylord
nice, my mom always suggested that the smallest tip is best. probably use a heat gun to get the flux or solder up to a certain temp without burning it down

----------------

Robot Made of Meat

Dr. Honked posted:

oh yeah? well ur mom has so much thermal mass, that she cooled my tip. or something

Yeah, I realized how odd that post sounded, but I couldn't word it less . . . suggestively.

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

Nice to see this thread. I learned to solder sometime last year to make a keyboard, and now I will look into other soldering tips and tricks for electronics repairs

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

cruft

There are some nice practice SMD soldering kids on Amazon. I, too, was surprised by how quickly I was able to pick it up. I was convinced it was going to be a major pain, and it really wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller

Browsing tutorial vids, I found one where this woman is using a microscope and heated tweezers. The entire IC was submerged under a single drop of liquid Flux!
Ok, that is some next level soldering. I had no idea that components that small could be done by hand

Dr. Honked posted: