Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I've always been an outsider to the "comic book genre", but I find it strange that comic book films and tv shows are lightning up the popularity charts, yet comic books themselves seem to struggle to break six figures for even some major releases. You'd think the success of the MCU or DCEU would result in a halo effect for the comics but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm curious to why this is, what's holding comics back, and how they got in this situation in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I'm sure Edge & Christian will be along for an effort-post on the matter at some point.

It's been my understanding that for years, the American comic book industry has been shackled to a particular business model, and is locked into continuing that model despite its obvious obsolescence. While there's potential for some forward motion, it's seemed for years to be a situation where it would have to collapse entirely before it could create something better.

Comics themselves are in decent shape, at least as an art form, with creators like Reina Telgemeier hitting the NYT charts. Comic books, on the other hand, are stuck in a worsening spiral.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I'm wary of making a big effortpost for fear of being exploded by E&C with facts and logic, but I think perceived inaccessibility continues to be a huge hurdle for Marvel and DC comics. Whatever the case may be for singles, collected editions and omnibuses of other comic books series do really well when films or television series come out to boost their profile. I remember reading somewhere that The Boys has sold 300k+ omnibuses since the Amazon Prime series launched. Marvel and DC don't seem to get anywhere near that kind of boost from their films, and I think the fact that there is no easy one-to-one connection between the films and their comic source material for fans to find is part of that problem.

Marvel loves putting out new omnibuses for characters who are about to get new films or series--see the current glut of She-Hulk and Moon Knight releases. But if you're a casual superhero fan, how are you to know if those omnibuses will provide a story similar enough to what you're getting from the MCU or if you'll even be able to parse it without prior knowledge of the character's comic origin? Those fears tend to be overblown, but they're still there and I don't know how you would go about alleviating them.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm not an expert and here's what I think!

1) The Comics Code Authority hosed up comics in a variety of ways, from warping the kind of content that was produced to twisting the public perception of the medium to being either for deviants, or children, or deviant children

2) The direct market period/speculation bubble further made the cultural perception of comics less "something that is enjoyable to read" and more "Something that obsessive compulsives collect" and "something you buy hoping to get rich, if you are dumb"

3) Is there any kind of serialized periodical fiction that is particularly popular anymore, outside of fanfiction? Excluding manga for comparison purposes. I know there are some successful webcomics but it seems like for every big seller there are tens of thousands, ranging from people still making bad Penny Arcade clones in the 2020s to really well thought out expertly executed original stories, and hardly any of them seem to be a big deal.

4) A lot of independent stuff nowadays reads like pitches for live action adaptations anyway (This one is the most subjective one, probably)

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Edge & Christian seems like a knowledgeable person due to how everyone is hyping them.

OnimaruXLR posted:

3) Is there any kind of serialized periodical fiction that is particularly popular anymore, outside of fanfiction? Excluding manga for comparison purposes. I know there are some successful webcomics but it seems like for every big seller there are tens of thousands, ranging from people still making bad Penny Arcade clones in the 2020s to really well thought out expertly executed original stories, and hardly any of them seem to be a big deal.

Serialized YA novels seem to be big.

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I think the simplest explanation is that most people like the ideas presented in comics, but most people don't like to read.

Reading requires more time and cognitive capacity than watching a movie or a TV show, so most people are going to find it easier to just watch instead of reading.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

My little sister (a teen and probably part of the current target audience) recently tried to get into superhero comics and gave up because the first collected series she got into was completely incomprehensible. I'm being vague here because I don't personally remember which one it was, but she complained that between issues, the team would suddenly change, old members would be missing and new ones would show up and all you'd get is a little editorial box telling you to catch up with some other series or crossover. Many of the plots were about the characters dealing with the aftermath of some other series that you would have to be following in order to understand. This happened nearly every issue, and taken on its own, the collected series was an incoherent mess. She did find some smaller, self-contained series that she likes, but her journey into comics mostly left her feeling lost and disappointed, I think.

Libra fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 15, 2021

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Dr.D-O posted:

I think the simplest explanation is that most people like the ideas presented in comics, but most people don't like to read.

Reading requires more time and cognitive capacity than watching a movie or a TV show, so most people are going to find it easier to just watch instead of reading.

[url="https://"https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/09/25/one-in-five-americans-now-listen-to-audiobooks"l"]The overwhelming vast majority of people still read, especially younger adults.[/url]

There would absolutely be more of a bump in comics if films are as popular as they are.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

JordanKai posted:

I'm wary of making a big effortpost for fear of being exploded by E&C with facts and logic, but I think perceived inaccessibility continues to be a huge hurdle for Marvel and DC comics. Whatever the case may be for singles, collected editions and omnibuses of other comic books series do really well when films or television series come out to boost their profile. I remember reading somewhere that The Boys has sold 300k+ omnibuses since the Amazon Prime series launched. Marvel and DC don't seem to get anywhere near that kind of boost from their films, and I think the fact that there is no easy one-to-one connection between the films and their comic source material for fans to find is part of that problem.

Marvel loves putting out new omnibuses for characters who are about to get new films or series--see the current glut of She-Hulk and Moon Knight releases. But if you're a casual superhero fan, how are you to know if those omnibuses will provide a story similar enough to what you're getting from the MCU or if you'll even be able to parse it without prior knowledge of the character's comic origin? Those fears tend to be overblown, but they're still there and I don't know how you would go about alleviating them.
It's 100 percent this. I only come to this forum for the movie and tv threads, but saw this thread and it piqued my interest. I don't read any long established super hero series because my perception (which could be wrong) is that getting into like, Spiderman comics would just be a huge slog where I have no idea where to start, no idea how many different series and related books I'll have to read to keep up, and whether any of it will even have the tone of the movies that I enjoy anyway (not that there's no way I'd enjoy other takes/tones of course). Something like Watchmen though, had I not already read it before the movie, I could very easily see picking up the graphic novel (omnibus? I don't know the term).

Like, as a fan of the movies, I occasionally end up googling Kang The Conqueror or something to get an idea of who a character is, and the Wikipedia page will be incomprehensible as it goes on and on, and it just feels like there's so much stuff. And a rich history isn't obviously a bad thing, but it doesn't lend itself to jumping into comics because you liked spending 2 hours watching a film.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Specific questions I'd be interested to learn more about:

1) A while ago there was some viral articles on the rise of manga relative to comics in the sales rankings. How true is it? What are some generally-accepted/plausible reasons, if so? Any particular explanations favoured by publishers or retailers etc.?

2) Many explanations pinpoint a propensity to focus on genre fiction (so to speak) as a fault in US comics. Why do non-genre publishers not do better?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

ronya posted:

1) A while ago there was some viral articles on the rise of manga relative to comics in the sales rankings. How true is it? What are some generally-accepted/plausible reasons, if so? Any particular explanations favoured by publishers or retailers etc.?

2) Many explanations pinpoint a propensity to focus on genre fiction (so to speak) as a fault in US comics. Why do non-genre publishers not do better?

1) Manga is much cheaper by general page count and readily available by the metric ton in bookstores.

They're also very accessible by the time they arrive over here, at least these days. They're frequently serialized in Japan, but if they're translated for release elsewhere, they're usually released in numbered paperbacks by volume.

I suppose there's also the virtue of consistency. A single manga is typically a finite story, told all the way through by the same team. If you want to read it, you pick up volume 1 and go.

2) Basically, Fredric Wertham hosed it up for everyone.

His 1954 work Seduction of the Innocent, which blamed comics for turning teenagers into delinquents, also told lawmakers and parents at the time all about how their kids were reading some surprisingly gruesome stories. When the dust settled, almost everything in the American comics market had been preemptively canceled aside from a relative handful of weak-tea superhero books.

Marvel came along a few years later, scored a few smash hits, and subsequently the superhero genre became almost indistinguishable from comics as a medium. A few other kinds of comics showed up here and there, then and since, but were never as successful as the established superhero franchises. Aside from statistical anomalies like The Walking Dead or early Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, they still aren't.

Depending on what you mean by "non-genre fiction," that exists (Strangers in Paradise, maybe?), but it's a niche within a niche.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Hmm, thanks. Surely Wertham as explanation mainly applies to the US - what afflicts European comic publishers then? Why do the bandes dessinées stagnate as well?

ronya fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Aug 16, 2021

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ronya posted:

Hmm, thanks. Surely Wertham as explanation mainly applies to the US - what afflicts European comic publishers then? Why do the bandes dessinées stagnate as well?
You know I have no idea what the market is like over there for comics beyond 'obviously they must have something, it couldn't all be Heavy Metal, right?' And they have the perennials like Asterix and Tintin in the mix.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

JordanKai posted:

I'm wary of making a big effortpost for fear of being exploded by E&C with facts and logic, but I think perceived inaccessibility continues to be a huge hurdle for Marvel and DC comics.

This is it for me. I watched The Boys on Amazon. I liked it, and wanted to read the comics. So I did. I knew exactly where to start and sat down and read most of them. Same for stuff like V for Vendetta and Watchmen.

If I watch a Spider-Man movie and want to read those, then where the gently caress do I start? There’s a billion storylines by a million authors and the quality is amazingly inconsistent and I have no idea what any of it is.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Nessus posted:

You know I have no idea what the market is like over there for comics beyond 'obviously they must have something, it couldn't all be Heavy Metal, right?' And they have the perennials like Asterix and Tintin in the mix.

donald duck comics are pretty popular in some european countries - i know they have been pretty big in italy, and can attest from personal experience they remain pretty popular in finland

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
There's also an entire universe of self-referential manga consumption culture, as argued by Hiroki Azuma's database otaku theory. It is new, serialized manga published outside that domain that is accessible and marketed to the wider public. Rehashes and reimaginings amortize old juggernaut IPs but perhaps do not form the bulk of revenue.

I have a completely uninformed pet theory that the differences lies less in the comic side of things but instead on the movie side. The US comic movie productions are exceedingly expensive, but are correspondingly extremely cautious: cherrypicking select narratives out of literally decades of comic publications to form the core of the cinematic shared universe. Manga on the other hand has a much more scattershot, lower-risk ladder of publication expense-vs-risk, with only minimally illustrated light novels at the bottom, and an entire sliding scale from manga to animated adaptation or live adaptation thereafter. The outlook permeates the entire value chain, with the base unit of comic being much more expensive than the base unit of manga.

I have no idea why, though. I feel like it could be as something as pedestrian as some quirk of regional IP or tax law or corporate form. Compared against manga, Taiwanese manhua do not seem to do as well in scaling as an IP, despite sharing many other narrative characteristics. Compared against Eurocomics, US comics seem to equally stagnate, despite not sharing many other narrative characteristics.

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

punk rebel ecks posted:

[url="https://"https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/09/25/one-in-five-americans-now-listen-to-audiobooks"l"]The overwhelming vast majority of people still read, especially younger adults.[/url]

There would absolutely be more of a bump in comics if films are as popular as they are.

I'm not sure if you're using that link to try and refute me or agree with me, so I'm going to respond as if you're trying to refute me and hope you don't get upset.

Listening to an audiobook has more in common with watching a TV show or a movie than reading text.

There are some brain imaging studies that suggest they're similar in terms of neural patterns (i.e., you see the same areas of the brain lighting up), but a lot of the educational and cognitive psychology literature suggests that reading with your eyes is more effortful than reading with your ears.

People have a natural tendency to avoid anything that takes cognitive effort (i.e., the cognitive economy), which is why I'm inclined to think that most people who like comic book ideas (e.g., superheroes) are more likely to consume them as movies/tv/audio books than to actually sit down and read the source material. The recent Sandman audiobook is a good example of this. It was one of Audible's most downloaded audiobooks last year (or was it this year?), probably because there are a lot of people out there who would rather listen to The Sandman than read it.

EDIT: Actually, I think I wasn't being clear in my original response to this thread and that might be causing some confusion. I wasn't saying that people DON'T read, I know that a significant amount of the population does read for pleasure. I was saying that with comics specifically, I think people are more inclined to consume that type of content in audiovisual mediums when compared to print.

Dr.D-O fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Aug 16, 2021

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I think accessibility is the biggest issue.

With the Big 2, you can catch a movie or watch a show, fall in love with the characters and then you either know about the wall that is trying to get in or you actually do try and find out it's worse than you'd heard.

Smaller projects are getting in the wider bubble like Invincible where you can actually get into the cartoon and then dive deep into the rest of the IP. It's as easy as reading from where the first season ended.

The difference between japanese comics and american comics in an oversimplified nutshell is that stuff like The Boys and Invincible are basically the norm in Japan. While here it's like every few years you might get a project like it and you gotta really, really hope it's not trash.

But yeah, like, hrmm... Invincible is like when some C-List shonen magazine gets an adaptation and it does wonders for hte IP. There isn't that much excitement or boom to it, but it's still a positive thing. However, the equivalent to a Spider-man adaptation nowadays would be My Hero Academia, which still operates under the same rules as Invinsible, it's still insanely easy to get into it and start reading while you can catch the latest Spider-man cartoon and just be left stranded if you liked the character of Gwen Stacy showed there because no other comic gets even close to like that, meanwhile if you liked the frog hero in MHA then just keep reading and she'll show up again soon.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Boys and Invincible are hardly outliers as comics. There are dozens of consistent creator, self contained comics released every month.

They just don't get out there, for much of the same reasons given in this thread for the big 2 comics other than the accessibility part.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif
Comics cost too much for not very much return. £3-5 an issue for 1/6th of a story that'll be cheaper when it gets to trade, but good luck finding which Volume of a series you need to go for to get what you want!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SpiritOfLenin posted:

donald duck comics are pretty popular in some european countries - i know they have been pretty big in italy, and can attest from personal experience they remain pretty popular in finland
Donald Duck actually sold so poorly in my country, Norway, that it was cancelled. The big sellers now are comic strips and YA fantasy.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Dr.D-O posted:

I'm not sure if you're using that link to try and refute me or agree with me, so I'm going to respond as if you're trying to refute me and hope you don't get upset.

Listening to an audiobook has more in common with watching a TV show or a movie than reading text.

The data shows while audiobooks are growing the vast lion share of people read.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Alhazred posted:

Donald Duck actually sold so poorly in my country, Norway, that it was cancelled. The big sellers now are comic strips and YA fantasy.

I actually checked the most recent new on how its doing in Finland, its got less readers than during its heyday, but an estimate of 550k finns still read Donald Duck weekly, and there are around 100k subscriptions - in a country of 5.5 million, that's a lot. Its still by far the most read piece of printed media in Finland, and apparantely its started to bounce back a bit from its worst years. I'd guess corona helped its numbers a bit. The editor of it also mentioned how they thought people would want to use a digital service to read Donald Duck, which they started up some years ago, but the numbers pretty clearly tell that no, finns prefer physical Donald Duck mags.

also looking around a bit, there doesn't seem to be really any other prominent comic books in Finland. there are newspaper strip collections, some graphic novels, and bookstores have some imported stuff, but that's it. I know when I was a kid there used to be more, but only Donald Duck has really survived, and a part of that has to be because of how much of an institution it is in Finland.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
My understanding is basically that FLOPPIES continue to lose popularity, but that sales overall continue to grow - mainly via an increase in the popularity of collections and graphic novels (and, at least during Covid, digital comics).

Comic sales through the direct market continue to dwindle, but most shops started diversifying many years ago, which seems likely to occur more and more until everyone that survives is basically a general-purpose "hobbyist" shop, with some graphic novels, alongside CCGs, wargaming, toys, etc.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Edge & Christian never came. :(

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
American comics are super expensive and actually getting copies of them to read is often a lot of work. Only way I can ever justify the cost and effort is buying a big collected volume, which is significantly cheaper. Also, DC and Marvel are just... ugh, the idea of doing the mental labour of picking which of these numerous somewhat similar stories with literally the same characters in them are and are not worth reading is exhausting.

I made the mistake of trying to go to some comic stores this year and it was such a loving miserable experience.

It's not like manga, where it's relatively cheap and super easy to get into and if you like something you just buy the readily available box set to catch up and then new ones as they come. And they often even have them in book stores, so its easy to be browsing for whatever and check them out on a whim and be like "oh hey I liked this show lets get this".

Good luck having that sort of experience with american comics.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 13, 2021

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I have been summoned but I feel like these conversations always are a circular argument of "monthly superhero comics tend to be confusing/expensive" (true) "but there are lots of other ways to purchase/read comics" (also true) "but monthly superhero comics are confusing and expensive!" "That is not the whole of the comic book industry" "BUT MONTHLY SUPERHERO COMICS"

If someone really wants to figure out the convoluted world of Marvel and DC superhero comics, it's easier and cheaper than ever to do so. The Internet exists and there are copious websites and other fora to use to detangle continuity, reading order, and other things that you'd have to pore over Official Handbooks and checklists clipped out of fanzines to find in decades past. You can reliably purchase collected print editions of 99% of relevant/important/interesting stories, where only two decades ago retailers and fans were super mad at the very idea of accessible trade paperbacks because it would kill the value of back issues and also "what if people just wait for the trade????" Digital comics exists, they frequently go on sale at deep discount, and if you really want to dive deep into Marvel or DC there are Netflix-style services that allow you to read thousands of comics for $10/month. Libraries also have deeper comics collections than in decades past.

From a consumer standpoint, it is pretty expensive if you decide to dive in and start buying multiple $4-5 single issues every week, and you can look at sales charts and see that from certain perspectives ("how many issues of Spider-Man sell in this format in a given month?") and decide Comics Are Dying, No One Reads Them. But the actual long-term sales of comics is always exaggerated when people cherrypick ridiculously high numbers from decades past, and tying all of your fortunes to single issues is insane. It's like saying "thirty million people watched Jake and the Fatman, and now only a couple million people watched Mad Men!" Jake and the Fatman never had thirty million viewers, it probably peaked around ten million, which is still significantly more than Mad Men ever got for a first run episode (somewhere around 3.5M) ergo Jake and the Fatman is still three times as popular as Mad Men. Except for the millions of people who watch/watched Mad Men after the first airing on AMC that "don't count" for the purposes of this argument. This is essentially what people are doing when they act like Iron Man and Green Arrow had millions of readers in the 1960s and now under 100,000 people read X-Men and Superman.

And even if not as many people are reading brand new Iron Man, Green Arrow, X-Men, and Superman in 2021, even if you want to argue that "no one" is reading any comic books featuring these characters, physically or digitally, new or old, mainline or spin-off, that's still looking at a narrow band of what "comics" are and reducing an entire artform and industry to that is silly.

As for the "manga is outselling comics so bad you guys" thing, specifically the Demon Slayer article that had its headline/text copied and pasted thousands of times on social media earlier this year, that was from an article comparing the sales of every volume of Demon Slayer worldwide over its entire publication history to what seemed like a made-up number that tried poorly to estimate the single year sales of single issues in the direct sales channel in the United States. he has updated the article to state that he was basing his math on "adult graphic novel sales" in bookstores only.

Other articles from the same website:
"Why is Hentai So Popular?" ("Female characters are depicted as secretly desiring to be sexually assaulted")
"Why Shopping Malls are Closing And How to Bring Them Back" (not enough arcades, stand up comedy bars, or LEGO houses)
"Super Nintendo World Will Beat Disney World" (because Disney is woke, Nintendo is not)
"Why People Don't Like Brie Larson" (it's not because she is a woman or a feminist, it is because of her attitude and politics)
"Has The Comic Book Industry Collapse? Here Is the Proof" (politics and a PLANDEMIC)
"Why Girls Dont Like It When Boys Play Video Games" ("The Feminine Need Attention" and men are wired for battle, women are not)

Here is the original article that has since been edited with a lot of justification for his math, which does not help the case.

If people love Demon Slayer that's cool, but it was funny to see people taking this guy at face value.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Edge & Christian posted:

Other articles from the same website:
"Why is Hentai So Popular?" ("Female characters are depicted as secretly desiring to be sexually assaulted")
"Why Shopping Malls are Closing And How to Bring Them Back" (not enough arcades, stand up comedy bars, or LEGO houses)
"Super Nintendo World Will Beat Disney World" (because Disney is woke, Nintendo is not)
"Why People Don't Like Brie Larson" (it's not because she is a woman or a feminist, it is because of her attitude and politics)
"Has The Comic Book Industry Collapse? Here Is the Proof" (politics and a PLANDEMIC)
"Why Girls Dont Like It When Boys Play Video Games" ("The Feminine Need Attention" and men are wired for battle, women are not)

Here is the original article that has since been edited with a lot of justification for his math, which does not help the case.

If people love Demon Slayer that's cool, but it was funny to see people taking this guy at face value.

holy poo poo lol just confirm all my stereotypes of manga readers. (It's okay, I'm only mostly joking, I know you folks are good and cool. Western comics have tons of chuds too)

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

That Demon Slayer article is atrocious but it really ended up making the rounds. I had to explain why it was hogwash to a lot of people who don't even read comics or manga.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Edge & Christian posted:

If someone really wants to figure out the convoluted world of Marvel and DC superhero comics, it's easier and cheaper than ever to do so. The Internet exists and there are copious websites and other fora to use to detangle continuity, reading order, and other things

wow, who could say no to an appealing prospect like that

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

wow, who could say no to an appealing prospect like that
I assume you can based on your response, but when I was a kid if you read a comic book and the big cliffhanger was OH NO, THANOS IS BACK, if you didn't know who Thanos was I guess you could ask your friends, or dig up the Official Handbook Of The Marvel Universe, or try to remember what fanzine had an article about Thanos in their Jim Starlin spotlight issue or something, I guess?

Now you can type THANOS into a search engine and get lots and lots of information about who Thanos is and why people were excited to see Thanos and probably read some classic Thanos stories for cheap/free.

This isn't even something exclusive to lovely stupid unappealing superhero comics and their movies, there is a significant subset of people who enjoy talking about references and Easter Eggs in other genre-y franchises like Star Wars or Star Trek or Street Fighter or Mario or Disney Animation or Mad Men or Game of Thrones or Stephen King novels or films or song lyrics or you know, anything people are entertained by that is also referential to other things. And the Internet makes it very easy to do this, and lots of people do.

This doesn't make certain corners of comic books needlessly complex, and it doesn't mean complexity is good, but if you are constructing a narrative of "comic books used to be popular and now they aren't, because they're just too confusing and complex!" you'd have to be hearkening back a solid 40-60 years to have that be a symptom of why 'nobody reads comics books'.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

None of those other things make reference integral to understanding or caring about what is going on. It is perfectly possible, perhaps even the optimal experience, to follow the events of Game of Thrones having never read another book in your life. Disney notoriously does not rely on its target audience of five-year-olds to refer to a fan wiki to figure out why this Elsa broad's such a big deal. The closest literary equivalent calling for "copious websites and other fora to use to detangle continuity, reading order, and other things" would be Finnegan's Wake, which is almost exclusively read by a similarly small and insular group of lit undergrads, few of whom will later claim to have enjoyed the experience.

The CCA propped cape comics up for a while by eliminating any alternative, but given any alternative most new readers do not look to comic books for the exact process by which I research proper feed speeds for delrin, except in lieu of anything to improve one's life they end up with detailed knowledge of the circumstances under which Aunt May kissed Dr. Octopus in 1974

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

A lot of comic books (even superhero comic books) also do not require deep knowledge dives and at best/worst may lead someone to go "when was Wolverine on the Avengers, which he mentioned in this comic?" but people seem to expect that they have to. Some people enjoy that, some people hate it, I'm still not sure why people look at it as a huge inherent barrier to entry as opposed to "a thing some people really enjoy and other people hate".

And the whole CCA thing is a weird red herring, in the sense that it neutered crime and horror comics; there are certainly a handful of Twilight Zone level EC comics that someone could point to as "COMICS ARE SERIOUS LITERATURE" but for the most part that entire line of reasoning is speculative. To say that the CCA was designed to privilege superhero comics is even weirder, since superhero comics struggled in near-hibernation (other than Superman) for the better part of a decade after the CCA was implemented (and led by the publisher of Archie), leaving the best-selling comics for years as things like, well, Archie, Uncle Scrooge, Dennis the Menace, Tarzan, various other media tie-ins, plus a wide variety of romance, western, funny animal, war, etc. comics deep into the 1960s and early 1970s. Superhero comics got really popular in the mid-late 1960s specifically by pushing the boundaries of the Comics Code and appealing to teenagers/young adults, were responsible for repeated loosening of the Code's restrictions in each subsequent decade, and abandoned it altogether twenty years ago.

Comic books largely survived in the late 1970s rather than getting wiped out from the newsstands because of Star Wars and the Superman movie, and then in the 1980s the direct market absolutely contributed to dominance of superheroes. The direct market is not comics, as much as people enjoy insisting forever that it is.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
It's from a few years ago, but on Mister Kitty's Stupid Comics website there is a page, When Stupid Comics Ruled the World which looks at the sales figures for old comics.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Maybe the ubiquity of fairly good free internet comics also does some work in terms of a bunch of potential comic book readers already kinda getting their fix online. Although I suppose it could just as easily be getting more people into comics so who knows if its a net positive or negative.

I don't know, only comics I've been reading lately are scott pilgrim and life is strange, my conjectures probably arent worth much.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Edge & Christian posted:

Girls don't like it when boys play videogames?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Edge & Christian posted:

I assume you can based on your response, but when I was a kid if you read a comic book and the big cliffhanger was OH NO, THANOS IS BACK, if you didn't know who Thanos was I guess you could ask your friends, or dig up the Official Handbook Of The Marvel Universe, or try to remember what fanzine had an article about Thanos in their Jim Starlin spotlight issue or something, I guess?

Now you can type THANOS into a search engine and get lots and lots of information about who Thanos is and why people were excited to see Thanos and probably read some classic Thanos stories for cheap/free.

Is this even true? The wikis and other fansites I can find with writeups for DC and Marvel characters are not exactly the height of clarity. What's the site I'm supposed to be using?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Using sites like Wikia/Fandom to look up information about comics is a bit of a pain these days. More and more I see them following the lead of Wookiepedia by presenting information from an in-universe perspective and hiding the actual publication info and other out-of-universe information out of plain sight.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Silver2195 posted:

Is this even true? The wikis and other fansites I can find with writeups for DC and Marvel characters are not exactly the height of clarity. What's the site I'm supposed to be using?
What information are you looking for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Is there any recommendable reading that explores comparative comic/graphic novel/etc. market structure between countries?