Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

JordanKai posted:

Using sites like Wikia/Fandom to look up information about comics is a bit of a pain these days. More and more I see them following the lead of Wookiepedia by presenting information from an in-universe perspective and hiding the actual publication info and other out-of-universe information out of plain sight.

The Marvel Fandom wiki's pretty decent about that right now, although you're right in that it's not the easiest thing to spot at first glance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Edge & Christian posted:

What information are you looking for?

I think you and Silver are talking a little past each other because you're both right, sorta. The internet made getting up to speed on Big 2 characters/stories much, much easier, but IMO that information, and this applies to a huge number of topics beyond just comics, has become more and more fragmented and difficult to discern which is more correct or authoritative, and the websites that may act as good warehouses of this information are less and less readable (or maybe as an Old my standards are way too high). Some sites that I may have pointed someone to in the past simply don't exist any more, or have gone through a couple refreshes in order to stay with (at a time) current website trends (e.g. mobile) and aren't as accessible to viewing that information.

What makes it kinda depressing for Big 2 stuff is that they are theoretically in a great position to actually house and disseminate all of that information but at least Marvel's website is kinda poorly laid out and the Marvel Unlimited experience on a web browser is (or was) not great. There is also a lot of interesting information about the history of comics from creators that seems to only live in the Omnibuses from DC and Marvel, usually as forewords, essays, etc.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 20, 2021

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
The casual reader isn't going to want to read up on hours of lore just to merely start a story.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Good news, they generally do not have to read hours of lore, that isn't what I was talking about at all. We seem to be speaking entirely in hypotheticals and trying to read Immortal Hulk or Far Sector is apparently now as complex as Finnegan's Wake? Or is the hypothetical casual reader going to look at those titles and go "dang too complicated for me, do I have to have read Near Sector first? I don't know!"

To put this into an entirely different context, when I was a youth I would read reviews of then-new releases from bands that were getting compared to Roxy Music. I had never heard of Roxy Music. I had only the barest context of what Roxy Music sounded like, as they weren't played on the radio and I didn't have any Roxy Music CDs or anything. I could read their entry in like the Trouser Press Record Guide or some book published by Spin I would keep checking out of the library, and read a description of why Roxy Music was important. I would eventually have to purchase a used Roxy Music CD to realize that while they were clearly an influence of Pulp and Suede and the Smiths, they were not really my thing and that maybe I shouldn't jump at every album described as sounding like Roxy Music, but even then years later I would realize that actually, I do like some of their music, just not the album I bought used.

But maybe as someone who was reading album reviews and wanted to know who Roxy Music were, I am already a deep lore nerd and the casual listener isn't going to listen to anything but top charting singles? Is that the sort of casual consumer we're discussing?

That was twenty-five years ago, now you can type "ROXY MUSIC" into about ten different apps and find out exactly what Roxy Music sounds like. This doesn't mean that in order to like Roxy Music (or see how they influenced other music) that you need to read a 5,000 word Bryan Ferry biography or puzzle together which songs Ferry or Eno wrote about their creative differences, or any sort of "deep lore", I just mean literally if you want to know more about a creator or character it is easy as gently caress to find that information, even if it's as simple as "are there other good stories with Swamp Thing" or "what all has Ann Nocenti written" or "what's the Infinity Gauntlet" or "who is Jason Todd". You definitely can read thousands of words on any or all of these topics, but the idea that you have to in order to enjoy anything seems bizarre to me.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 20, 2021

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
*picking up Nixonland*
Ugh I don't know... the 37th president? You mean I have to read about 36 other guys just to start this book? And the president of what, I mean, I don't have the time for all this world-building and trying to find out about Barry Goldwater and eighteen billion people named Kennedy on fan-wikis or wherever...I think I'll pass.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Why are Rick Perlstein books struggling despite voting for Republicans being huge?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the eternal mythical Casual Audience

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

How Wonderful! posted:

*picking up Nixonland*
Ugh I don't know... the 37th president? You mean I have to read about 36 other guys just to start this book? And the president of what, I mean, I don't have the time for all this world-building and trying to find out about Barry Goldwater and eighteen billion people named Kennedy on fan-wikis or wherever...I think I'll pass.

well you should read before the storm first, at least

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

site posted:

well you should read before the storm first, at least

I actually read that like a decade after Nixonland (just this summer in fact) but you know, fair point

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Comic books are fuckin' frustrating to read. Like, I've only really gotten into it this year after finding out about the Krakoa comics, but they just can't keep poo poo straight. Like Marauders this week, why the hell are they in space? Why couldn't we have resolved the boat mystery from the previous issues?

And issues come out like a month apart despite barely being 20 pages.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Mameluke posted:

Drawing is a lot of work. <:mad:>

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Reading this conversation reminds me of the Touhou manga, which makes for an interesting case study in my opinion. For the record, Touhou is a series of indie vertical-scrolling shooters that has spawned this bizarrely huge fandom over the years (think Undertale, and in fact the creator of Undertale is a huge Touhou fan). It's got tons of characters since every game introduces a brand new cast, and while it doesn't really have an overall plot per se, it has tons of interactions between characters that flavor what they think of each other, etc etc. And of course there are tons of databooks and extra stories outside the games, etc etc.

Anyway, my point is that it's a huge if slightly niche fandom, both in Japan and elsewhere. So you'd think the release of an official manga would be a huge deal, and an instant success. But it is absolutely not. The manga stories all assume a base level of familiarity with the characters and their relationship, and you end up with shocking reveals that mean absolutely nothing to anyone who hasn't been obsessively following every single Touhou work ever released. Like, when a character shows up at the end of chapter, you have some percentage of the readers going "holy poo poo, things are getting serious now!" and another, larger, fraction going "huh? who is this and why should I care?" It's just, well, the exact opposite of how you'd write a story to attract new readers.

Which sounds exactly like what this conversation seems to be about right now. Which personally I think adds a little more evidence to the idea that it's the interconnection and needing a wiki to follow what's going on that hurts superhero comics. Since even manga based on a popular franchise flops when it tries to do the same thing. Just because you can look something up, or you don't technically need to know whatever it is to follow the basic plot, doesn't mean it doesn't hurt the experience.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'll chime in with a recent experience similar to that. I've been reading the Batgirl books lately and have had to not only keep multiple wiki tabs open at all times not only for the characters themselves, because for instance both Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown were featured in other books before their series occured, and were featuring in other Bat books while their series were running, but I've also had to ask questions in discord about the various events that were being tied into during the runs, and how those plots were affecting the book. like, did you know Stephanie Brown caused the War Games event? You wouldn't know it just by read cass cain batgirl, even though spoiler shows up often, and you wouldn't know it just by reading Steph Brown Batgirl, even though her dying and coming back gets mentioned a lot. Or how about the Batman Murderer plot that runs through a bunch of Cass Cain Batgirl, and it winds up that her dad was the person who set Bruce up, but that resolution doesn't even get mentioned in her own book until a couple issues after that plotline wrapped up in a separate Bat book. Even trying to read a singular run can be work and I can see how that might put people off

site fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 21, 2021

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Clarste posted:

Reading this conversation reminds me of the Touhou manga, which makes for an interesting case study in my opinion. For the record, Touhou is a series of indie vertical-scrolling shooters that has spawned this bizarrely huge fandom over the years (think Undertale, and in fact the creator of Undertale is a huge Touhou fan). It's got tons of characters since every game introduces a brand new cast, and while it doesn't really have an overall plot per se, it has tons of interactions between characters that flavor what they think of each other, etc etc. And of course there are tons of databooks and extra stories outside the games, etc etc.

Anyway, my point is that it's a huge if slightly niche fandom, both in Japan and elsewhere. So you'd think the release of an official manga would be a huge deal, and an instant success. But it is absolutely not. The manga stories all assume a base level of familiarity with the characters and their relationship, and you end up with shocking reveals that mean absolutely nothing to anyone who hasn't been obsessively following every single Touhou work ever released. Like, when a character shows up at the end of chapter, you have some percentage of the readers going "holy poo poo, things are getting serious now!" and another, larger, fraction going "huh? who is this and why should I care?" It's just, well, the exact opposite of how you'd write a story to attract new readers.

Which sounds exactly like what this conversation seems to be about right now. Which personally I think adds a little more evidence to the idea that it's the interconnection and needing a wiki to follow what's going on that hurts superhero comics. Since even manga based on a popular franchise flops when it tries to do the same thing. Just because you can look something up, or you don't technically need to know whatever it is to follow the basic plot, doesn't mean it doesn't hurt the experience.

this basically sounds like how fanfiction works, complete with incredibly convoluted cross-media narratives. difference being if anyone tries to commercialize that poo poo it at least gets an editorial pass to make sure the story holds up as a standalone work even when scrubbed of deep Crash Bandicoot lore, instead of the publisher huffing that detailed knowledge of what their OC got up to in the ask blog is at least as important as being able to recognize significant US presidents and then wondering why their work isn't doing 50 Shades numbers.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 21, 2021

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

site posted:

I'll chime in with a recent experience similar to that. I've been reading the Batgirl books lately and have had to not only keep multiple wiki tabs open at all times not only for the characters themselves, because for instance both Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown were featured in other books before their series occured, and were featuring in other Bat books while their series were running, but I've also had to ask questions in discord about the various events that were being tied into during the runs, and how those plots were affecting the book. like, did you know Stephanie Brown caused the War Games event? You wouldn't know it just by read cass cain batgirl, even though spoiler shows up often, and you wouldn't know it just by reading Steph Brown Batgirl, even though her dying and coming back gets mentioned a lot. Or how about the Batman Murderer plot that runs through a bunch of Cass Cain Batgirl, and it winds up that her dad was the person who set Bruce up, but that resolution doesn't even get mentioned in her own book until a couple issues after that plotline wrapped up in a separate Bat book. Even trying to read a singular run can be work and I can see how that might put people off

This reads like when I was much younger and tried to read all of Deadpool by specifically reading all the things titled Deadpool. Wanted to know who the Hell this guy everyone and their dog was talking about, seemed like a good place to start. It very quickly became confusing because there kept being major events or plot twists that apparently happened between issues in annuals or crossovers or events or some dumb bullshit but it refused to explain a drat thing outside of maybe an editors note telling me to buy other issues from series I hadn't even heard of also why are there like 60 different concurrent X-Man books--

Also reading it from the start didn't really help because I guess it wasn't really the start at all because one of the earliest plot lines was about how he isn't the reeeeal Wade Wilson but it's not that deep into the series so I'm just sitting here like

this man doesn't even an established backstory that you've shown me yet why the gently caress does it matter what his name actually is you haven't given me a reason to care about this goofy poo poo what the gently caress are you doing

So I'm guessing there was a whole lot more established about him as to why this would mean any-loving-thing that I just wasn't privy to because I didn't start with X-Force 69 or wherever the gently caress he comes from.

Anyway yeah reading orders suck poo poo and so do relentless crossovers and random events.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

this basically sounds like how fanfiction works, complete with incredibly convoluted cross-media narratives. difference being if anyone tries to commercialize that poo poo it at least gets an editorial pass to make sure the story holds up as a standalone work even when scrubbed of deep Crash Bandicoot lore, instead of the publisher huffing that detailed knowledge of what their OC got up to in the ask blog is at least as important as being able to recognize significant US presidents and then wondering why their work isn't doing 50 Shades numbers.

fanfiction is absolutely not like this - at least, the stuff that really pulls in the readers isn't. it's generally single-author, self-contained, and only assumes knowledge of the source material (if even that much) which you probably already have if you're looking at a fanfic for that source work; and even then, anything that is really significant to the story but kind of obscure for the average consumer of the source work, the fanfic will probably give you a refresher about. a lot of published works that are "derivative" in the sense of having a huge backlog with lots of previous authors, or lots of related stories in the same universe like DC/Marvel, could take lessons from how successful fanfics onboard readers into the details and convey the significance of things.

of course, "successful" fanfics is a tiny fraction of the overall medium - i'm sure there are also a lot of stories exactly like what you describe. really successful fanfics are generally impossible to scrub into a standalone work because they're deeply intertwined with the original work and responding to its themes and narrative; it's the attention to detail and thoughtful exploration of the original work that draws people in. they generally aren't asking you to digest a huge corpus of pre-existing material scattered across multiple product lines though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JordanKai posted:

That Demon Slayer article is atrocious but it really ended up making the rounds. I had to explain why it was hogwash to a lot of people who don't even read comics or manga.

It was boosted especially by the 'get woke go broke' types who pushed it as 'evidence' Marvel was dying because Wolverine was a woman now or whatever as I understand it.

Anyway.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mameluke posted:

You should try reading european comics. Since Thorgal, for example, started in 1977 there's been released 37 albums. If X-Men was an european comics we wouldn't even be past the Dark Phoenix story line.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I know this is controversial but I feel like Comics will have to move into a physician OGN format or streaming service only format (or both) eventually to survive similar to the DC earth one titles. Single issues are getting too expensive.

I think it will be better for storytellers anyway because they won’t be so bogged down with producing dozens of tie ins to whatever editorially driven gimmick event is going on every so many months.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Noob Saibot posted:

I know this is controversial but I feel like Comics will have to move into a physician OGN format or streaming service only format (or both) eventually to survive similar to the DC earth one titles. Single issues are getting too expensive.

I think it will be better for storytellers anyway because they won’t be so bogged down with producing dozens of tie ins to whatever editorially driven gimmick event is going on every so many months.

It's not particularly controversial. Individual issues of comics have been too expensive by half for 20 years, as any analyst will tell you.

The issue is that American comics in general are shackled to a particular sales model, and so far, it's been more comfortable/convenient for the publishers to ride that model into the ground than upset it. Physical comics' sales are also heavily nostalgia-driven and fueled by collectible speculation, even now, which makes it difficult for any major publisher to switch away from that. Basically, Marvel and DC are going to have to ride this into the ground before they switch, and since those two companies make up a full 50% of the modern industry, it makes it that much harder for any smaller company to try and branch out.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

The thing is, single issues get turned into collected editions and 'streaming services'. If you're a consumer who doesn't want to pay the high price for single issues, you can wait X months and get the story cheaper as a physical trade, discounted digital purchase, or as part of a streaming service. You have to wait a bit longer, but you don't have to pay full price.

If you're a publisher who is solvent and can afford to do so, the single issue sales are still a significant revenue stream that doesn't seem to cannibalize the trade/digital/subscription business. As mentioned this "series of OGN" things has been tried repeatedly, including with DC's "Earth One" graphic novels. A really cursory look at orders for these books:

Superman Earth One v1 got 16,260 preorders, for net receipts of $325,000.

That same month, the floppy issue of Superman got 50,460 orders for net receipts of $150,875. But the OGN represents approximately six months worth of floppies, and six issues of Superman selling around that rate would bring in net receipts of $905,000.

The best-selling Earth One OGN in its first month was Batman v1 (32,913, $756,000) compared to that month's issue of Batman (127,210, $507,567.90, or over $3,000,000 in sales for six issues). This is the general trend for every single one of the Earth One OGNs, with lower-selling floppies like Wonder Woman and Teen Titans having comparably lower pre-orders for their OGN versions. Initial sales of Batman Year One v2 were half of v1, and did anyone even notice v3 coming out this summer?

All of these numbers aren't even accounting for the fact that all of those floppies were further monetized as trades, in the case of things like the Scott Snyder Batman run that paralleled Year One selling very well in trades as well.

By the end of 2012, Batman Earth One had sold 45,700 copies ($1.05M net receipts) in the direct market. The first volume of Scott Snyder's Batman had sold 26,700 ($667,000) on top of its single issue sales. In the 2013 year-end totals, Snyder's Batman v1 had sold an additional 24,000 copies, and the second and third volumes had come out and sold another 17k apiece, totaling $1.4m in additional sales. Other repackagings (trades, deluxe hardcovers, a trade packaged with a mask) pushed total trade sales of Scott Snyder Batman in 2012 well over two million dollars.

Additional sales of Batman Earth One came up to an additional $183,000.

Also the fact that the core Batman comic has released around 150 issues in the time that it took three volumes of Batman Earth One to come out.

Of course, if DC just stopped putting out over 30 Bat Family floppies a month and the only way to get new Batman comics was to buy OGNs, certainly the sales of OGNs would go up. But would it be enough to counter the loss of all those floppy sales?

In 2014, Snyder Batman accounted for at least another million dollars in trade sales, I didn't tally it all up. A softcover reprint of Batman Earth One netted $78,000.

As discussed ad nauseum in various places, there are markets and audiences that absolutely consume comics completely divorced from the monthly serialized single issue format. Many creators have thrived in those, and more companies are starting with that model rather than trying to 'win' in the direct market. But with a few exceptions, even outside of the Big Two many successful properties -- Walking Dead, Saga, almost every other big Image property, Hellboy/BPRD, Lumberjanes, Locke & Key, etc. -- everything in the direct sales market that breaks through into big sales in book form came out in floppies first, without doing much apparent harm to the trade sales.

A lot of this can properly be chalked up to inertia, an outdated business model, speculation, or a dozen other factors that aren't ideal. But it's still profitable for all parties, so they're not going to give it up any sooner than live to air television with commercials are going away even though it represents a tiny fraction of the actual 'television' being consumed in 2021.

I'm a sucker for longform serialized storytelling outside of any sort of "big shared universe" thing, and I don't think I would have enjoyed Immortal Hulk, or Die, or Better Call Saul, or Black Monday, or Reservation Dogs if they'd just come out in one giant chunk. That doesn't mean I don't like OGNs or Netflix shows that come out all at once, but it's a different type of experience and there's room creatively and commercially for both.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Marvel even tried the online only Jessica Jones title with Kelly Thompson last year that was swiftly cancelled. Whether that was up to the basic marvel "cancel everything after one arc" mandate or it really wasn't selling who knows but they tried it and it clearly didn't meet whatever standard they were expecting

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
On the 'you have to have read 37 different connected stories to understand what's going on' topic, too many of the newer writers on Judge Dredd just loooove their cliffhangers to be a full-page splash of one of the approximately 5000 spin-off characters, or someone from another 2000AD series, making a SHOCK! entrance to the story.

Now I'm a huge fuckin' Judge Dredd fan, but ending on a static pose of some "Oh, it's that guy" rando who last appeared in a 2003 Megazine story is not that much of a hook.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Payndz posted:

On the 'you have to have read 37 different connected stories to understand what's going on' topic, too many of the newer writers on Judge Dredd just loooove their cliffhangers to be a full-page splash of one of the approximately 5000 spin-off characters, or someone from another 2000AD series, making a SHOCK! entrance to the story.

Now I'm a huge fuckin' Judge Dredd fan, but ending on a static pose of some "Oh, it's that guy" rando who last appeared in a 2003 Megazine story is not that much of a hook.

If it's not Anderson or Hershey (or maaaaybe Giant) you probably do hit very diminishing returns.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I can't remember who it was but some Big 2 editor had the slogan of "every issue is someone's first issue" and while that can lead to some annoyingly repetitive things I do kind of appreciate that approach when some title is my first issue.
My two examples of the way it works sometime and why that can be annoying is that if you pick up any DC book there is usually a page somewhere near the beginning of the story where a voice over goes "My name is Hal Jordan, I am a Green Lantern, a space cop, and I have a ring that does anything it wants me to do and I am having the time of my life" or something like that. It's not in every DC book (definitely not in a Batman book but I figure they figure the reader knows who Batman is) but it is a quick recap of such. I can be pretty annoying when you have a story break so the main character can dump exposition about what happened in the issue before and reading month after month pages of "my name x and these are my powers and this my situation right now" can take me out of a story pretty quick.
Marvel used/maybe still does have a recap page and for that I am grateful and it was really stupid that DC never did the same thing. One thing I will say though is that I picked up some of the X line books via my library after not reading an X-Men book in decades. I expected there to be a lot of new characters and would have really liked a "Hi my name is [new character created in the last decade] and these are my powers" and instead never got that so I had to go on wiki quite a bit to figure out who these new characters were and what their deal was. No big deal really but it was a bit annoying because I kept wondering who these people were supposed to be.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Madkal posted:

I can't remember who it was but some Big 2 editor had the slogan of "every issue is someone's first issue" and while that can lead to some annoyingly repetitive things I do kind of appreciate that approach when some title is my first issue.

Jim Shooter. And I guess it worked because as a kid I started reading some titles during exceptionally random times and was able to keep up.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Payndz posted:

OMG - This. This is driving me crazy, every character that was a minor nobody is making a surprise appearance in Dredd these days. It seems that nobody actually died in the Apocalypse war, Judgement day, Necropolis, Day of chaos or any of the other events that have killed literally billions.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Extra row of tits posted:

OMG - This. This is driving me crazy, every character that was a minor nobody is making a surprise appearance in Dredd these days. It seems that nobody actually died in the Apocalypse war, Judgement day, Necropolis, Day of chaos or any of the other events that have killed literally billions.

... and as soon as I read the latest issue, they've done it again.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Extra row of tits posted:

... and as soon as I read the latest issue, they've done it again.
Who is it this time?

The one that really pissed me off was Hershey. Her illness was set up way in advance, she gets a sendoff in a John Wagner story where Dredd is as close as he gets to emotional, all the business with her family in Guatemala plays out with proper closure for Joe at the end...

Nope! Faked her own death to go off doing stuff in another writer's ongoing storylines. :rolleyes:

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
It’s trapper haig, except he’s for reals dead…

So it’s his never mentioned before wife.

King Baby
Sep 30, 2021
If comic books stores are doing so bad why is there at least 7 legitimate comic only stores in my area? None of these stores have gone out of business even when an owner of 1 died and another that lost their lease just relocated. None of them even sell baseball cards! I’ve asked a few owners about their opinion and not a drat one seems the least bit concerned about the “state of comics.”

My home town has only 2 comic stores, they are across the street from each other and don’t even care about it. They both have been at those locations for over 10 years. One just got an award from the city for some reason.

Also how the hell does Newbury comics have almost 30 stores pretty much all located in New England? It’s a different model then most comic book stores and seems successful enough. I’m baffled why this store never became the next Hot Topic and exist everywhere.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Tbh the biggest barrier for me getting into comics isn’t the backstory; I’m like Edge and Christian and am a lore nerd. I like doing research about characters. I know Moon Knight’s deal and I can name most of the Great Lakes Avengers, despite never reading any of their comics.

There are two big things that keep me from reading super hero comics. The first is that creatives switching/being moved around by editorial all the time makes things super weird to read. Did you like X-Factor? Well it’s ending because the writer has to go do something else now. Hope you liked the rushed ending! You like the characters in a particular series? Well the artist and writer both ended up leaving and now this book about superhero teens is actually about a man with more muscles than guns (and he’s got a *lot* of guns). It just makes it exhausting.

The other problem, which might have the same cause as the first, is that amount of stunts. It seems that every year or so, some new writer takes a line and decides to do a dumb stunt to shake it up. You like Jon, the young son of Superman? Well he’s a teen now because he went to space. You like the current state of the X-Men? Whoops, there’s been another genocide. Captain America’s a Nazi now. Don’t worry, it won’t last, another writer will come in a year or so and change the status quo with their own dumb stunt. Maybe Barry Allen will break the timeline again, who knows.

I can’t particularly say why the creator owned American comics don’t work as an alternative me, either. I’ve read some stuff by Brian K Vaughn and hated it, and found Scott Pilgrim incredibly annoying. I adore Asterix and enjoy a number of webcomics, so it’s not like I can only read manga.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

thetoughestbean posted:

I can’t particularly say why the creator owned American comics don’t work as an alternative me, either. I’ve read some stuff by Brian K Vaughn and hated it, and found Scott Pilgrim incredibly annoying. I adore Asterix and enjoy a number of webcomics, so it’s not like I can only read manga.

Have you read any of Kieron Gillen's stuff? The Wicked + The Divine is good, as is DIE (which has just finished, the last trade is coming out this year)

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

King Baby posted:

If comic books stores are doing so bad why is there at least 7 legitimate comic only stores in my area? None of these stores have gone out of business even when an owner of 1 died and another that lost their lease just relocated. None of them even sell baseball cards! I’ve asked a few owners about their opinion and not a drat one seems the least bit concerned about the “state of comics.”

My home town has only 2 comic stores, they are across the street from each other and don’t even care about it. They both have been at those locations for over 10 years. One just got an award from the city for some reason.

Also how the hell does Newbury comics have almost 30 stores pretty much all located in New England? It’s a different model then most comic book stores and seems successful enough. I’m baffled why this store never became the next Hot Topic and exist everywhere.

Good lord, a genuine “This can’t be true, my specific experience doesn’t match” post!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

King Baby posted:

behind every successful small hobby shop is a spouse who's an investment banker or some poo poo. have you done a headcount on how many mysteriously stable model train stores you have in town too?

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 3, 2021

Police_monitoring
Oct 11, 2021

by sebmojo
Why on earth would printing comic books be an industry on scale with blockbuster movies?

boblemoche
Apr 11, 2008

Police_monitoring posted:

Why on earth would printing comic books be an industry on scale with blockbuster movies?

It should not. However, comparing the size of the US market for comics to most occidental or oriental countries, it is weirdly small (like, half of what it should be). Hence, this topic.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

boblemoche posted:

It should not. However, comparing the size of the US market for comics to most occidental or oriental countries, it is weirdly small (like, half of what it should be). Hence, this topic.
Where are you getting that number?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

comic books from The Orient

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Edge & Christian posted:

Where are you getting that number?

Well you see me and the lads were having a fine cognac at the Old Masters Lodge where my family have be members since the 1750's when Reginald Farmsworth Facestock was still discussing the British Empires duty to spread civilization throughout the commonwealth. We were discussing the state of affairs in these far off lands, with people of strange character and belief and eventually Johnson, the ever foolish young whipersnapper that he is, asked us if we believed the size of the comic book market in the far off exotic lands of the subcontinent. We were flabbergasted to say the least but had a good chuckle because we are permanently stuck in 1892 and still use terminology like the Orient. Golly gosh.