Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

How Wonderful! posted:

*picking up Nixonland*
Ugh I don't know... the 37th president? You mean I have to read about 36 other guys just to start this book? And the president of what, I mean, I don't have the time for all this world-building and trying to find out about Barry Goldwater and eighteen billion people named Kennedy on fan-wikis or wherever...I think I'll pass.

well you should read before the storm first, at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'll chime in with a recent experience similar to that. I've been reading the Batgirl books lately and have had to not only keep multiple wiki tabs open at all times not only for the characters themselves, because for instance both Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown were featured in other books before their series occured, and were featuring in other Bat books while their series were running, but I've also had to ask questions in discord about the various events that were being tied into during the runs, and how those plots were affecting the book. like, did you know Stephanie Brown caused the War Games event? You wouldn't know it just by read cass cain batgirl, even though spoiler shows up often, and you wouldn't know it just by reading Steph Brown Batgirl, even though her dying and coming back gets mentioned a lot. Or how about the Batman Murderer plot that runs through a bunch of Cass Cain Batgirl, and it winds up that her dad was the person who set Bruce up, but that resolution doesn't even get mentioned in her own book until a couple issues after that plotline wrapped up in a separate Bat book. Even trying to read a singular run can be work and I can see how that might put people off

site fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 21, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Marvel even tried the online only Jessica Jones title with Kelly Thompson last year that was swiftly cancelled. Whether that was up to the basic marvel "cancel everything after one arc" mandate or it really wasn't selling who knows but they tried it and it clearly didn't meet whatever standard they were expecting

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
money laundering fronts, obviously