Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I can't remember who it was but some Big 2 editor had the slogan of "every issue is someone's first issue" and while that can lead to some annoyingly repetitive things I do kind of appreciate that approach when some title is my first issue.
My two examples of the way it works sometime and why that can be annoying is that if you pick up any DC book there is usually a page somewhere near the beginning of the story where a voice over goes "My name is Hal Jordan, I am a Green Lantern, a space cop, and I have a ring that does anything it wants me to do and I am having the time of my life" or something like that. It's not in every DC book (definitely not in a Batman book but I figure they figure the reader knows who Batman is) but it is a quick recap of such. I can be pretty annoying when you have a story break so the main character can dump exposition about what happened in the issue before and reading month after month pages of "my name x and these are my powers and this my situation right now" can take me out of a story pretty quick.
Marvel used/maybe still does have a recap page and for that I am grateful and it was really stupid that DC never did the same thing. One thing I will say though is that I picked up some of the X line books via my library after not reading an X-Men book in decades. I expected there to be a lot of new characters and would have really liked a "Hi my name is [new character created in the last decade] and these are my powers" and instead never got that so I had to go on wiki quite a bit to figure out who these new characters were and what their deal was. No big deal really but it was a bit annoying because I kept wondering who these people were supposed to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Edge & Christian posted:

Where are you getting that number?

Well you see me and the lads were having a fine cognac at the Old Masters Lodge where my family have be members since the 1750's when Reginald Farmsworth Facestock was still discussing the British Empires duty to spread civilization throughout the commonwealth. We were discussing the state of affairs in these far off lands, with people of strange character and belief and eventually Johnson, the ever foolish young whipersnapper that he is, asked us if we believed the size of the comic book market in the far off exotic lands of the subcontinent. We were flabbergasted to say the least but had a good chuckle because we are permanently stuck in 1892 and still use terminology like the Orient. Golly gosh.