Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Specific questions I'd be interested to learn more about:

1) A while ago there was some viral articles on the rise of manga relative to comics in the sales rankings. How true is it? What are some generally-accepted/plausible reasons, if so? Any particular explanations favoured by publishers or retailers etc.?

2) Many explanations pinpoint a propensity to focus on genre fiction (so to speak) as a fault in US comics. Why do non-genre publishers not do better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Hmm, thanks. Surely Wertham as explanation mainly applies to the US - what afflicts European comic publishers then? Why do the bandes dessinées stagnate as well?

ronya fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Aug 16, 2021

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
There's also an entire universe of self-referential manga consumption culture, as argued by Hiroki Azuma's database otaku theory. It is new, serialized manga published outside that domain that is accessible and marketed to the wider public. Rehashes and reimaginings amortize old juggernaut IPs but perhaps do not form the bulk of revenue.

I have a completely uninformed pet theory that the differences lies less in the comic side of things but instead on the movie side. The US comic movie productions are exceedingly expensive, but are correspondingly extremely cautious: cherrypicking select narratives out of literally decades of comic publications to form the core of the cinematic shared universe. Manga on the other hand has a much more scattershot, lower-risk ladder of publication expense-vs-risk, with only minimally illustrated light novels at the bottom, and an entire sliding scale from manga to animated adaptation or live adaptation thereafter. The outlook permeates the entire value chain, with the base unit of comic being much more expensive than the base unit of manga.

I have no idea why, though. I feel like it could be as something as pedestrian as some quirk of regional IP or tax law or corporate form. Compared against manga, Taiwanese manhua do not seem to do as well in scaling as an IP, despite sharing many other narrative characteristics. Compared against Eurocomics, US comics seem to equally stagnate, despite not sharing many other narrative characteristics.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Is there any recommendable reading that explores comparative comic/graphic novel/etc. market structure between countries?