Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I've always been an outsider to the "comic book genre", but I find it strange that comic book films and tv shows are lightning up the popularity charts, yet comic books themselves seem to struggle to break six figures for even some major releases. You'd think the success of the MCU or DCEU would result in a halo effect for the comics but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm curious to why this is, what's holding comics back, and how they got in this situation in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Edge & Christian seems like a knowledgeable person due to how everyone is hyping them.

OnimaruXLR posted:

3) Is there any kind of serialized periodical fiction that is particularly popular anymore, outside of fanfiction? Excluding manga for comparison purposes. I know there are some successful webcomics but it seems like for every big seller there are tens of thousands, ranging from people still making bad Penny Arcade clones in the 2020s to really well thought out expertly executed original stories, and hardly any of them seem to be a big deal.

Serialized YA novels seem to be big.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Dr.D-O posted:

I think the simplest explanation is that most people like the ideas presented in comics, but most people don't like to read.

Reading requires more time and cognitive capacity than watching a movie or a TV show, so most people are going to find it easier to just watch instead of reading.

[url="https://"https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/09/25/one-in-five-americans-now-listen-to-audiobooks"l"]The overwhelming vast majority of people still read, especially younger adults.[/url]

There would absolutely be more of a bump in comics if films are as popular as they are.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Dr.D-O posted:

I'm not sure if you're using that link to try and refute me or agree with me, so I'm going to respond as if you're trying to refute me and hope you don't get upset.

Listening to an audiobook has more in common with watching a TV show or a movie than reading text.

The data shows while audiobooks are growing the vast lion share of people read.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Edge & Christian never came. :(

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Edge & Christian posted:

"Why Girls Dont Like It When Boys Play Video Games" ("The Feminine Need Attention" and men are wired for battle, women are not)

Girls don't like it when boys play videogames?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

The casual reader isn't going to want to read up on hours of lore just to merely start a story.