Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

JordanKai posted:

I'm wary of making a big effortpost for fear of being exploded by E&C with facts and logic, but I think perceived inaccessibility continues to be a huge hurdle for Marvel and DC comics. Whatever the case may be for singles, collected editions and omnibuses of other comic books series do really well when films or television series come out to boost their profile. I remember reading somewhere that The Boys has sold 300k+ omnibuses since the Amazon Prime series launched. Marvel and DC don't seem to get anywhere near that kind of boost from their films, and I think the fact that there is no easy one-to-one connection between the films and their comic source material for fans to find is part of that problem.

Marvel loves putting out new omnibuses for characters who are about to get new films or series--see the current glut of She-Hulk and Moon Knight releases. But if you're a casual superhero fan, how are you to know if those omnibuses will provide a story similar enough to what you're getting from the MCU or if you'll even be able to parse it without prior knowledge of the character's comic origin? Those fears tend to be overblown, but they're still there and I don't know how you would go about alleviating them.
It's 100 percent this. I only come to this forum for the movie and tv threads, but saw this thread and it piqued my interest. I don't read any long established super hero series because my perception (which could be wrong) is that getting into like, Spiderman comics would just be a huge slog where I have no idea where to start, no idea how many different series and related books I'll have to read to keep up, and whether any of it will even have the tone of the movies that I enjoy anyway (not that there's no way I'd enjoy other takes/tones of course). Something like Watchmen though, had I not already read it before the movie, I could very easily see picking up the graphic novel (omnibus? I don't know the term).

Like, as a fan of the movies, I occasionally end up googling Kang The Conqueror or something to get an idea of who a character is, and the Wikipedia page will be incomprehensible as it goes on and on, and it just feels like there's so much stuff. And a rich history isn't obviously a bad thing, but it doesn't lend itself to jumping into comics because you liked spending 2 hours watching a film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU