Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Tbh the biggest barrier for me getting into comics isn’t the backstory; I’m like Edge and Christian and am a lore nerd. I like doing research about characters. I know Moon Knight’s deal and I can name most of the Great Lakes Avengers, despite never reading any of their comics.

There are two big things that keep me from reading super hero comics. The first is that creatives switching/being moved around by editorial all the time makes things super weird to read. Did you like X-Factor? Well it’s ending because the writer has to go do something else now. Hope you liked the rushed ending! You like the characters in a particular series? Well the artist and writer both ended up leaving and now this book about superhero teens is actually about a man with more muscles than guns (and he’s got a *lot* of guns). It just makes it exhausting.

The other problem, which might have the same cause as the first, is that amount of stunts. It seems that every year or so, some new writer takes a line and decides to do a dumb stunt to shake it up. You like Jon, the young son of Superman? Well he’s a teen now because he went to space. You like the current state of the X-Men? Whoops, there’s been another genocide. Captain America’s a Nazi now. Don’t worry, it won’t last, another writer will come in a year or so and change the status quo with their own dumb stunt. Maybe Barry Allen will break the timeline again, who knows.

I can’t particularly say why the creator owned American comics don’t work as an alternative me, either. I’ve read some stuff by Brian K Vaughn and hated it, and found Scott Pilgrim incredibly annoying. I adore Asterix and enjoy a number of webcomics, so it’s not like I can only read manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Nystral posted:

Does Manga have the same breaks that creative owned comics like Saga has adopted? While Saga may be an outlier and it’s longer then initially planned, I’m seeing many other comics I follow that are also owned by the creative team - Moonshine, Redneck, etc - follow the same pattern of publish an arc then pause a few months to regroup and get the TPB out the door publish next arc.

Just curious how other markets are doing things. IMO it’s helped the non-cape books I read to not have to follow a monthly schedule like the big two demand.

Manga typically follows set publishing schedules set by the magazine they publish in. So if they are in a monthly magazine they publish monthly, weekly for weekly, etc. The volumes are similarly regular, typically published when they have about 200 pages worth of content.

This amount of work is really really hard and is deeply unhealthy for the creators involved