Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Nessus posted:

You know I have no idea what the market is like over there for comics beyond 'obviously they must have something, it couldn't all be Heavy Metal, right?' And they have the perennials like Asterix and Tintin in the mix.

donald duck comics are pretty popular in some european countries - i know they have been pretty big in italy, and can attest from personal experience they remain pretty popular in finland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Alhazred posted:

Donald Duck actually sold so poorly in my country, Norway, that it was cancelled. The big sellers now are comic strips and YA fantasy.

I actually checked the most recent new on how its doing in Finland, its got less readers than during its heyday, but an estimate of 550k finns still read Donald Duck weekly, and there are around 100k subscriptions - in a country of 5.5 million, that's a lot. Its still by far the most read piece of printed media in Finland, and apparantely its started to bounce back a bit from its worst years. I'd guess corona helped its numbers a bit. The editor of it also mentioned how they thought people would want to use a digital service to read Donald Duck, which they started up some years ago, but the numbers pretty clearly tell that no, finns prefer physical Donald Duck mags.

also looking around a bit, there doesn't seem to be really any other prominent comic books in Finland. there are newspaper strip collections, some graphic novels, and bookstores have some imported stuff, but that's it. I know when I was a kid there used to be more, but only Donald Duck has really survived, and a part of that has to be because of how much of an institution it is in Finland.