Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
American comics are super expensive and actually getting copies of them to read is often a lot of work. Only way I can ever justify the cost and effort is buying a big collected volume, which is significantly cheaper. Also, DC and Marvel are just... ugh, the idea of doing the mental labour of picking which of these numerous somewhat similar stories with literally the same characters in them are and are not worth reading is exhausting.

I made the mistake of trying to go to some comic stores this year and it was such a loving miserable experience.

It's not like manga, where it's relatively cheap and super easy to get into and if you like something you just buy the readily available box set to catch up and then new ones as they come. And they often even have them in book stores, so its easy to be browsing for whatever and check them out on a whim and be like "oh hey I liked this show lets get this".

Good luck having that sort of experience with american comics.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Maybe the ubiquity of fairly good free internet comics also does some work in terms of a bunch of potential comic book readers already kinda getting their fix online. Although I suppose it could just as easily be getting more people into comics so who knows if its a net positive or negative.

I don't know, only comics I've been reading lately are scott pilgrim and life is strange, my conjectures probably arent worth much.