Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JordanKai posted:

That Demon Slayer article is atrocious but it really ended up making the rounds. I had to explain why it was hogwash to a lot of people who don't even read comics or manga.

It was boosted especially by the 'get woke go broke' types who pushed it as 'evidence' Marvel was dying because Wolverine was a woman now or whatever as I understand it.

Anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Payndz posted:

On the 'you have to have read 37 different connected stories to understand what's going on' topic, too many of the newer writers on Judge Dredd just loooove their cliffhangers to be a full-page splash of one of the approximately 5000 spin-off characters, or someone from another 2000AD series, making a SHOCK! entrance to the story.

Now I'm a huge fuckin' Judge Dredd fan, but ending on a static pose of some "Oh, it's that guy" rando who last appeared in a 2003 Megazine story is not that much of a hook.

If it's not Anderson or Hershey (or maaaaybe Giant) you probably do hit very diminishing returns.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Madkal posted:

I can't remember who it was but some Big 2 editor had the slogan of "every issue is someone's first issue" and while that can lead to some annoyingly repetitive things I do kind of appreciate that approach when some title is my first issue.

Jim Shooter. And I guess it worked because as a kid I started reading some titles during exceptionally random times and was able to keep up.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Soonmot posted:

#1 mary sue is gender neutral. #2 using mary sue invalidates your opinion

I know we're far past using the term in its original sense but who was Hickman's self-insert, I wonder. Moira? Probably Moira.