Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I think the simplest explanation is that most people like the ideas presented in comics, but most people don't like to read.

Reading requires more time and cognitive capacity than watching a movie or a TV show, so most people are going to find it easier to just watch instead of reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

punk rebel ecks posted:

[url="https://"https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/09/25/one-in-five-americans-now-listen-to-audiobooks"l"]The overwhelming vast majority of people still read, especially younger adults.[/url]

There would absolutely be more of a bump in comics if films are as popular as they are.

I'm not sure if you're using that link to try and refute me or agree with me, so I'm going to respond as if you're trying to refute me and hope you don't get upset.

Listening to an audiobook has more in common with watching a TV show or a movie than reading text.

There are some brain imaging studies that suggest they're similar in terms of neural patterns (i.e., you see the same areas of the brain lighting up), but a lot of the educational and cognitive psychology literature suggests that reading with your eyes is more effortful than reading with your ears.

People have a natural tendency to avoid anything that takes cognitive effort (i.e., the cognitive economy), which is why I'm inclined to think that most people who like comic book ideas (e.g., superheroes) are more likely to consume them as movies/tv/audio books than to actually sit down and read the source material. The recent Sandman audiobook is a good example of this. It was one of Audible's most downloaded audiobooks last year (or was it this year?), probably because there are a lot of people out there who would rather listen to The Sandman than read it.

EDIT: Actually, I think I wasn't being clear in my original response to this thread and that might be causing some confusion. I wasn't saying that people DON'T read, I know that a significant amount of the population does read for pleasure. I was saying that with comics specifically, I think people are more inclined to consume that type of content in audiovisual mediums when compared to print.

Dr.D-O fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Aug 16, 2021