Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

The shop over the hill from me in Livermore, CA: http://fantasybooksandgames.com/ doesn’t seem to be struggling at all. Unfortunately, the owner is getting older and has limited mobility, so it’s not the most well-organized place on earth, but it has a pretty vast selection. And it stays busy, I was far from the only customer browsing on a random Thursday in November. As his homepage indicates, it is something of a well-known destination for East Bay people, but having a national laboratory in town also means there’s a robust local market for geek stuff.

A few years ago, I snagged a vintage-1993 Star Trek: DS9 shirt off a discount rack the owner had set up, and at the time he described to me how he had downsized to just the one shop from having a warehouse and two or three other East Bay shops during the 90s. But I got the impression that had more to do with his life circumstances than any market weakness, especially in one of the most tech industry/driven markets in the country.

I do have to wonder how much unsold inventory weighs on the business model. The guy who had a shop right across from the high school here in my town about 10 years ago was sitting on a bunch of manga volumes and expensive board games when he finally went out. But that was also when Barnes and Noble was still in town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU