Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
zizek is actually entertaining. unlike his students

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
public intellectualism is just pro wrestling for people who think they’re above pro wrestling. they might as well be entertaining.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ELTON JOHN posted:

he doesnt like capitalism which is cool. and the ideology thing, like we are all so brainwashed by capitalism that supporting capitalism is considered neutral even when it isn't? and that's because of how entrenched capitalist ideology is. that is cool
he kinda reminds me of adam curtis. welcome to the vampire's castlevania

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
oh wait that's mark fisher

i get all these guys confused

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

The_Rob posted:

public intellectualism is just pro wrestling for people who think they’re above pro wrestling. they might as well be entertaining.

Baw god is that Zizek's sniff?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

oh wait that's mark fisher

i get all these guys confused

I love him as the voice of Joker.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

net work error posted:

Who is a student that has surpassed him?

adrian johnston.

also not necessarily big-Zs personal students but I've found Samo Tomsic and Lorenzo Chiesa to be brilliant, clear, and concise nextgen explorers of the new neohegel/lacan terrain.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

The_Rob posted:

lmfao you are absolutely right of course but I would love to see Zizek's intro music

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

The_Rob posted:

This is true, but after reading zizek you should be able to find dense theory entertaining without the crutch of pop culture analysis and the same lovely jokes ad infinitum.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
like, if i leaned one thing from zizek it's that anything can be enjoyed.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

The_Rob posted:

Barthes considered pro wrestling to be the purest gesture of good versus evil.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wylmch3crjI

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!
i haven't actually done the part where i read actual books by the trash panda, what three or so books would people recommend to start with? and to be clear, i will be pirating this poo poo, but tend to be low effort about that.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Hodgepodge posted:

i haven't actually done the part where i read actual books by the trash panda, what three or so books would people recommend to start with? and to be clear, i will be pirating this poo poo, but tend to be low effort about that.

Pervert's Guide to Cinema and Pervert's Guide to Ideology are both really good and accessible introductions.

If you specifically want books then Welcome to the Desert of the Real and How to Read Lacan are good starting points.

The important theoretical books are Sublime Object of Ideology and Less Than Nothing but those are going to be difficult to read without a foundation in Lacan.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
first as tragedy than as farce is a super easy fun read.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!

is pepsi ok posted:

Pervert's Guide to Cinema and Pervert's Guide to Ideology are both really good and accessible introductions.

If you specifically want books then Welcome to the Desert of the Real and How to Read Lacan are good starting points.

The important theoretical books are Sublime Object of Ideology and Less Than Nothing but those are going to be difficult to read without a foundation in Lacan.

The_Rob posted:

first as tragedy than as farce is a super easy fun read.

thanks, that gives me a good idea of where to dive in

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i like his dvd short that was produced for Children of Men

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbgrwNP_gYE

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

The_Rob posted:

you just gave the best summary about him that I ever seen, ty

I really like Zizek because he completely gets it and revels in the role

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!

Dreylad posted:

i like his dvd short that was produced for Children of Men

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbgrwNP_gYE

definitely worth the five or so minutes to get his take on that film

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

Hodgepodge posted:

sex and the failed absolute is his attempt to write a concise, systematic exposition of his work to date. it's like the less than nothing short course.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Pervert’s Guide to Ideology blew my undergrad mind out the back of my head. His discussion of Catholicism in the Sound of Music left me floored.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

bitter jaded old cspam posters no longer realize how mind-blowing zizek is to people who are not yet woke to the concept of ideology

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
his whole thing about ode to joy in a perverts guide to ideology is one of my favoriting things ever.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!

The_Rob posted:

this depends; are we counting SMG as one of his students?

also thanks for the further recommendations

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

great guy, love him....

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Hodgepodge posted:

this depends; are we counting SMG as one of his students?

also thanks for the further recommendations

"Violence; Sideways reflections" isn't a breezy polemic like "First as Tradegy" but it's short and tries to get at the same truth through several different routes. So if you don't get what one of the reflections is driving at you can skip to the next and it will make a similar conclusion from a different logic chain.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

bumping this thread every time the fool and the knave are the answer to a question

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
On Belief is really good and any of his poo poo on Pauline theology

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

The Ziz posted:

I think the true class struggle in horror literature is vampires versus zombies. That’s why I shocked my friend, who played in "Harry Potter" movies - I hope you saw the last one, where the 'bad guys' attack that stupid school and so on... that Hogwarts, whatever.

And I said it's the wrong end of the movie! The bad guy without nose, played by Ralph Fiennes, this is the working-class rebellion. They should kill them all, my god. I would turn around the movie.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!
It's not a working class rebellions but it should be.

Anyhow that scene would be perfect for destroying the entire broken wizarding world in a single feel swoop by exploiting the fact that Ultima should work must fine in Harry Potter.

e:
What I am picturing happening.

The likely result.

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 04:36 on Nov 10, 2021

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/nise_yoshimi/status/1469185074105319425

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

If zizek was a DE game character what would have inside his thought cabinet?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Zizek told me to watch Melancholia and he was right it was a good movie.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

etalian posted:

If zizek was a DE game character what would have inside his thought cabinet?

He's the guy who died and left a skull completely jammed full of cocaine.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Doctor Jeep posted:

he gets a pass for pretty much anything because he sent jordan peterson into a literal coma

guy is basically the S-tier sociologist of the modern age

fake edit: lacanian analasysh

Bastard Tetris has issued a correction as of 09:49 on Dec 16, 2021

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Doctor Jeep posted:

he gets a pass for pretty much anything because he sent jordan peterson into a literal coma

it was like a fuckin apocalyptic revelation on the jordan peterson reddit lol

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Wheeee posted:

Twitter's search is terrible. Anyone have that meme of him staring rapturously at Zizek demolishing his arguments with "Ladies, find yourself a man that looks at you like Peterson looks at Zizek" ?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Wheeee posted:

With a room like that it makes you think which SA subforum he would post in...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Yadoppsi posted:

Twitter's search is terrible. Anyone have that meme of him staring rapturously at Zizek demolishing his arguments with "Ladies, find yourself a man that looks at you like Peterson looks at Zizek" ?

I know what you mean but I can't find it. There was one point where Peterson literally started dropping his knee to the floor while looking up at Zizek.

I did find this though.