Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

zizek just suplexed the man

peterson was prepared for a "debate", not for a luchador performance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
i liked the part where peterson started blowing zizek

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

dead gay comedy forums posted:

zizek just suplexed the man

peterson was prepared for a "debate", not for a luchador performance

"Work the right side" takes on new meaning.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I don't know how he fits so much saliva in his mouth when talking

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

dead gay comedy forums posted:

peterson was prepared for a "debate"

no he wasn’t, peterson didn’t prepare at all and thought it was just going to be like owning some dumbass students

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Wheeee posted:

no he wasn’t, peterson didn’t prepare at all and thought it was just going to be like owning some dumbass students

Instead he unintentionally joined the Zizek fan club and then also got a coma a few months later after that in Russia.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

the whole thing was a potentially tremendous learning opportunity for peterson that he probably failed to grasp

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Wheeee posted:

he literally started his remarks being like "well I haven't written anything you've read, but I read the communist manifesto so that's probably a good summary of everything you've talked about"

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

zizek eats both hotdogs with glee peterson suffers with every bite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz13v5ZaNdc

Tiberius Christ has issued a correction as of 14:48 on Dec 17, 2021

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Wheeee posted:

that was my point forums poster Wheeee (four e's, counted)

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

he literally started his remarks being like "well I haven't written anything you've read, but I read the communist manifesto so that's probably a good summary of everything you've talked about"

alternate scenario: zizek finds a strong woman friend of his, armed with the Sublime Object of Ideology and the Parallax View in each hand, to slam into peterson's face while he sits impassively talking to the audience. "peterson here is the perfect *sniff* postmodern moralist, being *sniff* brutalized by the Real in his attempts to build a facsimile of *sniff* order rooted in a fake interpretations of tradition. my books are the ideas of our world that his jungian principles try to not deal with it, expertfully applied by Laurie, thank you Laurie. As we can see from his bloodied face, this confrontation with certain ideas from the Real cannot happen in any framed context which we may imagine, but only by reviewing those through self-analysis and the formation of ideological constructs and so on and on"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

pogi
Jun 11, 2014

trying to listen to the sublime object of ideology right now and i have no background in this and no idea what’s going on. just letting it wash over me like a wave

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

pogi posted:

trying to listen to the sublime object of ideology right now and i have no background in this and no idea what’s going on. just letting it wash over me like a wave

ideology is the world writ-large

reality is the creeping suspicion that things are deeply hosed

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

pogi posted:

this is how i read living in the end times and it was a lot of fun

pogi
Jun 11, 2014

who is lacan and what was his deal lol

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

pogi posted:

who is lacan and what was his deal lol

french

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
a good way to remember lacanism is "you lacant always get what you want"

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
But if you try some Kant you get what u Nietzsche

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL
peterson gets owned by unkempt ideology trash man

immediately ceases to clean his own room

coincidence???

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

peterson gets owned by unkempt ideology trash man

immediately ceases to clean his own room

coincidence???

similar to how Jeb! gave Trump compliments after getting bullied by him?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

ELTON JOHN posted:

a good way to remember lacanism is "you lacant always get what you want"

Quand on est Lacan on est Lacan

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
there’s no digital version of slavoj zizeks new book?! that’s a loving bummer I don’t live somewhere I can get a cheap paperback copy. is there any plans for a kindle version or something?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Wheeee posted:

He's just like any right winger who think they're cool because told a college freshman off by speaking real fast.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Is Zizeks book Lenin 2017 any good or is it like his Mao book where he neuters him?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Danger posted:

any of his poo poo on Pauline theology

I'd love a peak at some of this if you have some links that would be appreciated

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
Hope its okay to drop this link but the Internet Archive has the full movie of Pervert's Guide to Ideology

https://archive.org/details/2013ThePervertsGuideToIdeology

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

In his usual meticulous way, Jordan Peterson does a devastating critique of The Communist Manifesto.

I note that he also has recognized a point I’ve made before. That there’s a communication and control bottleneck in centralized government decision making.

A few times now I’ve described this issue of “data flow limits”, often with the example of a Hotdog Cart. In classical economics there’s the concept of Minimum Economic Scale (how big must an enterprise be to function efficiently enough to survive) AND MAXIMUM Economic Scale. At what size do the DIS-economies of scale cause the enterprise to faultier.

This is usually called “Economies of Scale” and folks think that means that you only get ever more efficient as you get larger. But it doesn’t. It means that you can be more efficient above some minimum size and that you can become less efficient beyond some maximum size. 2 “economies of scale”. Not one economy of scale.

Steel Mills, for example, require so much physical capital, and melts become so much more efficient as they become bigger, that an efficient steel mill only really starts to limit when you simply can not physically make it any bigger. Biggest steel mill wins.

At the other end, the Hotdog Cart is perfectly fine at a scale of 1. It is highly labor intensive, has a huge need for customer communication and understanding with “every order is different” preferences on display. The communication and management load to do that in a centralized command economy would be horrible. That’s why you don’t see Amalgamated Consolidated Hotdog Carts International taking over the hotdog cart world.

Well, in a very real sense, Central Command Economies, of which Communism is the major form, run head long into the problem of Maximum Economy Of Scale in that everything is done at the scale of “National sized”.

So I’m very glad to see that he, too, has recognized that issue. Even if it is only stated as being to complex to do centralized and not illustrated as to why. 30 minutes to destroy the founding document of a cult.

I especially like his lead in / introduction where he explains what it means to THINK about an article while you read it, not just suck it into your brain un-evaluated and installed as a “Rule Of Thumb” truth.

I’ve pondered the thinking pattern of “Leftists” and I believe I’ve detected a pattern in it. LACK of testing their beliefs for veracity. I’ve chosen to call this “Rule Of Thumb” thinking. So you get a “Checklist” of things to believe, untested, and then just apply the checklist to any situation. There is no requirement for the beliefs to be mutually compatible. Couple that with a quest for validation from others (“virtue signalling”) and I think you get most of the package.

You see this in the mindless chanting of mantra and in the “Woke Culture Norms”. Did a person ever use a racial slur? If yes, vilify to collect V.S. Points. No asking things like “Was the use to illustrate why NOT to use it?” (That case happened, BTW). Or “Was the use in a TIME when it was not seen as a slur?” (That one happens often.) But those require some active thought, decision making, and evaluation of a logic paradigm. Things not in evidence in Leftist quasi-Cogitation.

In that mode, you can see the Communist Manifesto as a “Load up these Rules Of Thumb, without evaluation” command. Then send the mob of Useful Idiots out to bring death and destruction to their country and economy. Unthinking idiots (who believe they are thinking and enlightened) following a set of Rules Of Thumb written by someone who didn’t test their Utopian Theories against reality, nor even do a basic logic check.

Unfortunately, that pits the rest of us against the incredible power of stupidity.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

just a meticulously polished brain

Beyond ReTarTed.
Dec 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Just want you two to know that this was a perfect exchange

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

https://twitter.com/daviesjon/status/1481860044773752836

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

fart simpson posted:

Steel Mills, At the other end, the Hotdog Cart

Maybe instead of daydreaming about steel mills and hot dog carts they could have spent any ammount of time finding out about how central planning works.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

this man knows how to roll, maximum respect forever and ever

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Every truly wise man throughout human history has followed the ethos of :justpost:

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

From this article: https://www.ladbible.com/entertainment/wwe-clip-showing-how-wrestlers-actually-fight-is-ruining-childhoods-20220405

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Lol I picked up less than nothing and tried to read it raw and...well I didn't get far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

That's probably gonna be the hardest book to just pick up and read. There's a guy on YouTube that does a video companion series for it but he's hard to follow too. I thought the first video in the series was worth watching though since it does a pretty good job laying out what the book is about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66xf_j3_9vI