Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Smythe posted:

hes good. close thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Preen Dog posted:

I can't tolerate watching Peterson for any length of time, even just to pick out the best moments he got owned.

Is there a specific clip or highlight reel anyone can recommend?

The bit about 3/4 of the way through where Zizek asks Peterson to name some of the postmodern neo marxists that have infiltrated academia and he can't, so then Zizek mentions some of the Marxists he knows and how little influence they have, is pretty great.

Rough Transcript posted:

Zizek: [...] who are these post-modern egalitarian neo-marxist and where do you see any kind even of a Marxism. I see in it mostly and impotent and utterly impotent moralization.

Peterson: well I mean there’s organization like Jonathon Haidt’s what's it called heterodox Academy and other organizations like that have documented an absolute dearth of conservative voices in the social sciences and the humanities and about 25% according to the what I think are reliable surveys approximately 25% of social scientists in the u.s. identified themselves as Marxists and so there's that very solid

Zizek: but where are these neo Marxists?

Peterson: okay, but....

Zizek: Can you name me one neo-Marxist?

Peterson: well, well...let’s go to....

Zizek: I know a couple of Marxists, for example, who does very solid economic work, David Harvey, one, but he writes very serious books, economic analysis and so on and so on. then there is the old guy who is far from simplification Fredric Jameson and so on but they are totally marginalized today it is politically correct mainstream you know? I don’t see

Peterson: well yeah your question seemed to me to focus more on the pair a peculiar relationship that I've noticed and that people have disputed between post-modernism and and neo Marxism and I see the connection between the postmodernist types and the Marxists as a sleight of hand that replaced the notion of the oppression of the proletariat by the bourgeoisie as the oppression by one identity group by another.

Zizek: totally agree with you

Peterson: okay so with that but so now look, we can

Zizek: but that’s precisely a non Marxist gesture

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rUhYdqB2Jh7CU5Le0XgktKaoXQmnTdbv0-_kE5BQL6Q/edit

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

quote:

My girlfriend (22f) and I (24m) are having a disagreement about a picture.

I met my girlfriend, Sam, 8 months ago at a house party and we’ve been pretty much inseparable since then. She’s witty, intelligent, funny and gorgeous and we are almost the perfect couple.

The only issue I’ve been having recently is a framed picture she keeps over her bed. It’s of an older gentleman lying in bed with a scowl on his face. She lives with roommates and I live alone so we spend most of our time together at my place and I’ve only been in her room a couple times so I’ve never really brought it up.

For a while I just figured it was a relative of some sort (Sam is African American but this is a picture of a white guy) until recently I met her extended family at a birthday party for her cousin. On the way back I asked who the picture in her bedroom is of, since it’s not anyone I met at the party. She started laughing at me and explained that the picture is of some apparently famous philosopher guy named Slavoj Zijek (I don’t know if that’s spelled right) and she doesn’t know him. WTF. We started arguing about it, I said it was weird to keep pictures of random people in your bedroom and she said it was somehow ‘pomo’, I don’t know what that means, her major is philosophy and mine is computer science.

TL;DR: girlfriend keeps picture of a philosopher on her bedroom wall. I’m weirded out and kind of jealous that this guy is apparently so important to her that she has a random picture of him above her bed. Am I overreacting though?