Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

Ardennes posted:

I would say my only real issue with Zizek (probably more than anything because of timing) is him having to couch what he is trying to say in Lacan or post-modern absurdism rather than just spit it out. He lets his actual views slip but it is always a game of him being "provocative" then walking it back into the safety of post-modernism.

I mean I get it, he wants to sell books and exist within the acceptable boundaries of Western media, but it would be great if he could spit it out.

he's not a post-modernist, he's decidedly a modernist who uses pomo material against pomo itself. hence the return to Hegel and the revamped dialectics. all that poo poo is anathema to pomo sensibilities. he may be coquettish in his lighter pop stuff but he really doesn't gently caress around in the big theory tomes. there's some wild heretical poo poo in there.

all that being said his heyday is over and his students have surpassed him in his own terrain. after sex and the failed absolute i don't think he has much more to say. I'd love to see him take on laruelle tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

net work error posted:

Who is a student that has surpassed him?

adrian johnston.

also not necessarily big-Zs personal students but I've found Samo Tomsic and Lorenzo Chiesa to be brilliant, clear, and concise nextgen explorers of the new neohegel/lacan terrain.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

The_Rob posted:

zizek is actually entertaining. unlike his students

This is true, but after reading zizek you should be able to find dense theory entertaining without the crutch of pop culture analysis and the same lovely jokes ad infinitum.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
like, if i leaned one thing from zizek it's that anything can be enjoyed.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

Hodgepodge posted:

i haven't actually done the part where i read actual books by the trash panda, what three or so books would people recommend to start with? and to be clear, i will be pirating this poo poo, but tend to be low effort about that.

sex and the failed absolute is his attempt to write a concise, systematic exposition of his work to date. it's like the less than nothing short course.